Wynalda on ESPN...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Arisrules, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    He said a lot about the Metrostars. I am going to quote everything I saw.

Vik -- memphis, tennessee: Hi Eric: I feel that it is very important for MLS to have a strong metros franchise. I think that getting the SSS built will expedite this process. Any concrete (sorry about the pun) news on a groundbreaking date (insert 60-90 day joke here).

SportsNation Eric Wynalda: (2:45 PM ET ) Hey Vik, I couldn't agree more. Here we are nine years into MLS and the MetroStars have still managed to not be involved in a championship. Bob Bradley has been put under a lot of pressure lately by GM Nick Sakavich to fix this team. My opinion is they are too young and Bob Bradley needs to realize that you have to field more than a college team to win something in this league.

Colin (Washington, DC): Do you see Adu having the impact next season that Gaven had this season?

SportsNation Eric Wynalda: (2:50 PM ET ) Colin, in regards to your question about who will make a greater impact, I think it is safe to say that Freddy Adu has ALREADY made a bigger impact than Eddie Gaven. His PK on Saturday night showed that he is handling the pressure and that he is capable of contributing in important games -- meaning, the playoffs. Eddie Gaven disapeared, along with the rest of his team, and that is why he's on vacation.

Eric, Metrostars GM Nick Sackiewicz recently called Jonny Walker's goalkeeping this season 'atrocious.' Does he have a point or is he scapegoating? And does Jonny have a future with the Metros?

SportsNation Eric Wynalda: (3:00 PM ET ) Josh, I know Nick thinks he should have an opinion about Johnny Walker, but that really isn't his job. His focus should be building a new stadium and selling tickets. Eddie Pope had a bad season. Amado Guevara absolutely disasppeared in the playoffs and they didn't score a goal against DC United. This team needs to start identifying roles and executing their jobs -- that included the front office.

Alexander (New York, New York): What would you do with a player like Magee? He has some skill, but he just won't stop running his mouth (and not enough skill to back it up). Can someone like that be controlled?

SportsNation Eric Wynalda: (3:46 PM ET ) Alexander, I would trade Mike McGee to Chicago ... along with Eddie Pope in exchange for Chris Armas and Ante Razov and then, somewhow figure out a way to get Zach Thornton. And, if they have to give up Ricardo Clark - -that's fine. If they have to lose Mark Lisi and Jeff Parke -- that's fine too. I could deal with that, but just don't lose Eddie Gaven.

Alexander (New York, New York): Would a Jesse Marsch type player have made the difference for the Metros this past season? We were lacking a cerebral player in the midfield, to tighten up the sieve that was the front 6/7. Could he have been the difference?

SportsNation Eric Wynalda: (3:49 PM ET ) Maybe if Mark Lisi wouldn't have taken the whole year off, he would have made the difference. I think the Metrostars have more problems up front than any other team in the leauge. They have no continuity and Galvan Rey is not good enough for this league.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting remarks. I think he is spot on that a lot of the team "dissapeared" in the playoffs. This is especially true in the front 6 except for one player, Clark. Everyone else had some flashes, but nobody got the job done. Where was Amado? Jaime played big, as did Cannon. How come our MVP, in tradtitional Metros fashion gets swamped by expectations?

Does that mean we should become Chicago East? No. The trade he talks about though, Razov and Armas for Pope and Magee would be something I would do in a second. One second. I wouldn't think twice about it, because I know we would come away golden here. However, I wouldn't get rid of Parke. I wouldn't get rid of Walker either, and I certainly wouldn't rely on Thornton in goal.

Also, his Lisi comment is odd. Does he mean that Lisi would have directed the midfield more, and delivered more killer balls? I think Lisi is a keeper. I really do. The "injury" comments are way overblown. This isn't a JOB or Ramos here people, this guy had one season where he was injured, and he's played a lot before this season.

2. sweeper5

sweeper5 New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Does anybody really care about what Eric "Whine-alda" thinks?

So Freddy had a better year than Gaven because he made a PK? Freddy is in the playoffs because DC is a better team team than the Metros, but he did not have a better overall year.

Regarding the trade runors, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the Metros have problems at the forward position, but suggesting that the Metros should trade away quality young players like Clark and Magee for older guys that may have only a few years left doesn't make sense.

You can't draw too many conclusions about young players too early in their career, or at least until they have had at least 2 or 3 full seasons of experience. Thus, trading away good young players is asinine unless you are going to get another good young player in return.

3. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I agree with most of this. But I'm not sold on Walker and really haven't been all season long. He's too inconsistant. He didn't have an "atrocious" season but it wasn't great either. I think Thornton has something to prove and would be a pretty good fit and I think would be a better number one.

4. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Eric Wynalda is an idiot.

It says a lot about our soccer landscape that such a ignorant person with respect to the sport has such stature here.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i think you are entitled to your opinion, but that is all

its always good to relax a bit and stop putting down soccer savy people, God knows we need more like him around, you may or may not agree with him that is really not the point. Eric has been there, he knows soccer and knows MLS and knows more then you on this issue. But you may tell us why in your opinion is he an idiot, you have exactly 3 minutes.

6. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Socer savy my ass.

It doesn't matter how long you have been in the game. Wynalda has proven you can be in it for a long time and still be clueless.

The man constantly runs off at the mouth about things he has no grasp of.

Magee Pope Lisi Parke and Clark for two players are on the downside of their careers?

Two players who will command close to one third of our entire payroll for the next few years? So we lose 3 quality young players who likely will spend their entire careers in MLS for two guys who are on the way out. He is an idiot.

This is a typical BS Wyanlda pro chicago rant where he overvalues Fire players and denigrates all others. He is the biggest Razov fan in the world which expalins why he thinks a whiner like him would be some sort of upgrade for us.

How about the idiotic post about Lisi taking the year off?

The man was injured.

You can be a Waldo fan if you want.

But do me a favor and and spare me the condescending nonesense.

Keep your hero worship to yourself.

He doesn't know our team and needs to keep his mouth shut about them.

His opinion is no more valid than anyone elses.

And you do realise that what he said is an opinion right?

7. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    The thing that kills me the most is Zach Thornton. He is a very, very average keeper. If you put Walker behind some of those Chicago teams, he'd be teaching TOEFL classes during the games.

As for the rest of it...I like our team. We need a couple of extra pieces, no doubt, and someone like Armas or Marsch would be good additions, but I'm not trading half the team to get Armas and a very over the hill Ante Razov. The Adu/Gaven comment is ridiculous. Adu was the super pimp poster boy endorsement hero. Of course he's "done" more, he did more before he stepped on the pitch.

But, as far as contributions to the team? Gaven has scored more goals, more assists, and has made more of a contribution to his team. Gaven started 29 games, scored 21 points (7g, 7a). Adu played in 30 with 14 starts and scored 13 points (5g, 3a). Adu has had a bigger impact on the league, on US Soccer and on sports in general, no doubt. On this year though, I'd take Gaven. And besides, between Wynalda and Harkes, when has either said anything positive about Metro?

In fact, if you measure on PR alone, Adu did more before setting a foot on the field than Wynalda did in his entire career. Ask my stepfather who Adu is, he'll tell you. Ask him who Wynalda is, and he'll say the dude that fell off the tightrope.

Let's leave Wynalda to his shiny mirror.

8. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    But in all honestly, who wouldn't do a Magee for Marsch/Armas trade?

I think it's important. As for Ante. Look, the guy is goin to get you 15 goals. He has proven that over his career.

It's also a mentality issue. Get tougher. I think those two guys by themselves would have stiffened their resolve.

As for Wynalda, look he gets caught up in himself. Like being someone that Bruce trusts, and all that. However, amongst all that BS you get some grains of truth, which is why he's sort of grown on me. Stoner on the other hand, somebody shoot that guy.

9. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I am not ready to give up on a guy who could be here for ten years just to get a D-mid who is on the wrong side of thirty especially when we have a guy with as bright a future as Clark around.

Marsch is to old.

Armas costs too much.

Neither is an upgrade over Clark

Magee annoys me but will obviously be a player.

But is that enough?

He makes close to max salary and we have two young forwards who I think will do the job for us next year.

Armas yeah but not Razov

Eric problem is he lacks the humility to ever say that he just doesn't know the answer to any question. As a result he exposes his lack of knowledge of the very subjects he needs to be an expert in.

10. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    What he said.

And has nothing to do with hero worship.

11. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Blah Blah Blah.

The man is so smart that he can't spell Magee. Lisi was hurt all year Waldo.

Why the hell should we trade our players to get players from a team that failed to make the playoffs? Sure one a few players don't make the team, so why say that Gaven did better than Adu? Adu scored off of many easy tap in goals. Gaven had world class goals buddy.

Also, why the heck would we want Razov? The man is our enemy. We don't like him. We don't want to root for him, we want to boo him and his left foot that has been the reason why the Metros have failed in the past. I'll take Woly over this Chicago player anyday. I'm sorry, but having to root for a guy who knocked us out of the playoffs in 2000 is not easy.

12. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    i still think glen can do some damage next year if he plays some heavy minutes.

we need one quality defender, and a top flight midfielder, a winger in particular. I wont loose sleep if someone told me we'll have magee,taylor,glen and woly next year for our fowards. Our midfield just needs to get more "vicious"

what about jeremies for 3 years? :)

13. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Better give a heads up to Waldo that yer lips are wrapped around his tailpipe before he backs his car out the driveway.

Really now. "soccer savy" ??? Why not take 30 secs to explain how YOU know that to be more evident than another brother calling him "idiot" ?

The guy spent like 18 months of his six year MLS career in Chicago and he goes into the HoF in a Fire kit and doesn't have the class to hold his tongue about his long past it boss in San Jose. A debate about his eye for talent in others is purely subjective, just as Eric being a Fire homer makes his assessment of Metro players equally subjective (Like, if Lisi took the year off, what the fvck did Razov do?).

PS: Waldo aint the soccer McEnroe, he's the soccer Luke Jensen. I'm stinkin' apeshite, and I approved this subjective statement.

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the spelling job Wynalda did. Nick Sakavich and Mike McGee. Interesting.

15. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    So now that we've lived through the growing pains of the young guys that Bob brought in, now that they're approaching veteran status and we can really start hoping for big things from them...now we should trade them for past-their-prime veterans?

16. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Wynalda really does have an opinion, I'll give him that. New York and Chicago were the two youngest teams in the league this year, and he is on to something there.

I do believe that either Armas or Marsch and Ante Razov could be available. But Chicago's biggest needs are wing defender and playmaker. If you want to trade us Guevarra and Parke, there is a deal to be had. But I don't think Pope and Magee really fit Chicago's needs. Perhaps with a big 3 way deal.

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an ex-jock with name recognition

Just that most other sports have a larger body of athletes to choose from - but on occasion they still choose worse than Wynalda - (see Walton, Bill. Sanders, Deion. Irvin, Michael...).

18. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adu "seems" more successful than Gaven to Wlado because Gaven was really asked to do entirely too much for the team. Adu was at best a supersub. WHen he was playing a full 90 or close to it, he wasn't nearly as effective as he was coming in on the wings against tired defenders. And yeah Gaven disappeared an awful lot - which I'm concerned about as far as USMNT. (I know he's still young and all, but I don't like him being anointed like this on the USMNT boardss)

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ANTE RAZOV IS A JAIME MORENO WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 games. Maximum. Maximum

20. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! Do NOT rag on Bill Walton. The guy has changed the landscape of sarcasm in the sports broadcast booth for years to come. Who doesn't love to hear "LET 'em playyyy!" when the ref calls blatant foul calls similar to NHL penalties and "YOU CAN'T STOP HIM, JUST HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM!" when talking about Chris Friggin Dudley? The man is a GENIUS!

Wynalda looks like a child molestor. It's the eyes I think.

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Walton at first. A lot. Unfortunately I think his schtick has worn off.

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I know what you mean. At first I hated him, mainly because he always picked on Larry Johnson and that "L" thing he'd do with his arms. I always knew Walton was right about how stupid LJ looked but I was a die-hard Knick fan. I'll never forget though when the NBA on NBC booth was in the Garden and the whole crowd turned to face the cameras and started chanting "WALTON SUCKS". Hilarity.

As for Metro......I dunno. They have a young lineup. They've obviously showed flashes of what they can do with a prime example being Gaven's games against LA over the summer. I honestly thought Parke was a great addition to the team. They just need a bit more consistency or a new assistant coach or someone to work with them. If it means waiting for them to develop into a solid, contending team, I'll wait. We've seen the growth in the young guys. We just need to stop adding all these flashy players that don't amount to anything. How many different lineups we throw out this year?

23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    ....past their prime veterans who will make close to maximum salary!

25. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Unfortunately your are so right.