Wynalda is a __________

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MD_05, Sep 17, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    you get to fill in the blank.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/90min0917wynalda.html

some of his best quotes:
    All those chances that Brian McBride missed against Panama (in CONCACAF Gold Cup), I don’t think Taylor would have missed those.
    I’m not slamming Brian McBride but I don’t think he can contribute as much as Taylor can now.

Are we talking about the same Brian McBride that excelled in the EPL and the same Taylor Twellman that couldn't get off the bench in Germany?
    And the same Brian McBride that played in all of the US's big games this year? and where was Twellman?

I can maybe see a person making an argument that Twellman will one day be better than McBride, but, wynalda, NO.

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Well the first blank would be "uninformed"

We didnt play Panama

3. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This happens a lot. A player is past his prime and then he gets in the booth and starts to criticize player's performances because he is jealous of them.

Wasn't he going to have his own soccer academy at a time.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOOD GOD!!!!!

Eric Wynalda is Mike Segroves!!!!!

Except for fun, such as sparring with my good freind Michael, I just don't bother with this tripe anymore. Brian McBride has absolutely nothing left to prove to anybody.

Wynalda can say what he wants; he only sounds like some BigSoccer newbie wanking on about how much better his pet player WOULD HAVE BEEN if only some blind coach hadn't picked him.

Twelman has had some chances, and he'll probably have more. The proof is the back of the net, not senile ramblings from some washed-up never-was like Wynalda.

I was there the night Wynalda had his career ended in Charleston by some A League hack after he was cut from MLS and couldn't find work. There wasn't a damp eye in the house.

BTW: Please notice Treetaliano's avatar and the tag line underneath it. True class.

5. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Eric Wynalda. The Ronald Reagan of Soccer.

6. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... a blessing for the broadcast booth. He's honest, unafraid to call things out for what they are, and very well-spoken and camera friendly. I would love to see Lalas next year (after re-retirement) with Wynalda in the booth.

As far as the comments about McBride, I just think he's looking to the future. McBride has been an absolutely stellar professional for the USMNT, but the future is at hand and it's time to start thinking about it. There is a chance that McBride will be there in 2006, but more likely than not, a few other players will grow and mature into the team within these next three years, ala Mathis and Beasley and Donovan.

Wynalda is just being pragmatic. Soccer is a young man's sport, or at least it's evolving more and more in that direction. It's a blend if anything, but upfront, you need young guns blazin'. I'm sure Wynalda has no problems with McBride but is just hoping to see the team give opportunities to the players who have much better odds of being around to help in the future, and those are the younger players.

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Not sure if this is sarcasm or not...but thanks in either case...for the comment and the sig

8. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Actually the way I read it he is saying that Taylor Twellman is currently better than McBride and that the US played Panama in the Gold Cup.

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely sincere. Some people won't get the Dunkin Donuts reference, but somehow that makes it better.

[​IMG]

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I do agree that Twellman should be given another look at the national team level.

11. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Me too. But, I do think that Wynaldo is not taking into consideration that Twellman and McBride are two completely different players. McBride=Pure Forward; Twellman=Pure Striker. Both are extremely important to any successful team. To dismiss McBrides contributions as if they're not needed with someone like Twellmen is seriously shortsighted.

I usually enjoy Waldo's take on soccer, but he is off on this one concerning McBride. And he need not worry about Twellman. He will get more looks for the Nats. He just needs to stop having bad timing when it comes to illness or injury.

And if he doesn't pan out, well then he won't be the first player to have a stellar club career with nothing to show for his national team. He would end up similar to Elber.

12. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman has gotten chances with the nats...how many goals did he score? 0

I saw TT against NZ in Richmond, and while he was dangerous, he just didn't finish. At least we don't have to worry about McBride not finishing. Wynalda can talk all he wants about McBride's missed opportunities, who's to say Twellman would have even created those chances?

I'm not ripping on Twellman, who is obviously an MLS star, but I don't think Wynalda should be ripping on one striker to build up another. That's just not classy.

13. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Twellman certainly has potential, and I agree that McBride certainly won't be around forever. The true question is how will the USMNT attack evolve as McBride is fazed out of the lineup?

You can't honestly say that Mathis is going to be a major factor on the Nats. Look at his career. Just too many injuries. His knees are about as fresh as Mais' ankles. Mathis is already past his prime. He can still be dangerous, but nothing like 2 seasons ago.

You have to wonder who will emerge as the next US poster boy. It makes you wonder what will Damani Ralph decide to do (US or Jamaica). Will Edson Buddle evolve to a top international striker?

There are loads of questions and speculation out there. Eveybody enjoys trying to say what will be, but unless your Bruce or on his staff... well you really don't need to be too worried about what might be. Rather, as a member of the press (er-hum... Waldo) you need to report the facts and what is going on on the field. There is no reason to rip on other players unless their play warrants it... and in McBride's case, it certainly doesn't.

14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

15. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Joeyinfo.

Comparing TT and Bakes is like comparing apples and Oranges (or for those of you disenfranchised WUSAers Millers and Portokalos'). They are not interchangeable, they have different playing styles, and would compliment each other when they are both on the field.

However, comparing TT and Cletus is more accurate. Cletus, and his Theisman knees, are going to give before Germany rolls around. TT will take that --- unless Joeyinfo says otherwise.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Wynalda is a ___________

fcking pedophile

There's only ooooone Eric Wynalda
    There's only ooooone....

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If McBride walked away from the game today all he has to show for it is a stellar career and a legacy of class. Personally, I think Twellman will have a great career with the national team and teaming him up top with Buddle could be interesting.

Wynalda sounds bitter and jealous.Screw him.

18. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Waldo just wants to hold onto his scoring title.

19. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    I think Waldo has a little something something for Twellman. He seemed to stand up for his precious Taylor after everything tonight.

C14

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, what did waldo say when Twellman pissed away a win for the revs?

21. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Seriously, why do people hate Waldo? Because of his opinions on soccer or what? I really don't know.

I figured since he such a good striker for the U.S. and such he'd get some respect. He scored some great goals in Germany before he came over here to help start MLS. What's not to like?

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way as you on this one. I'm just not getting why people despise him so much all of the sudden. He was the best U.S. striker that we've had in my lifetime on the international stage.

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    looks like you're in the same boat as EW, mate.McBride did not EXCEL in England any more than Joe Max did. He had some good games, a bit of luck, a bit more of skill but clearly wasn't going to keep scoring at that pace.

24. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    The same reason ppl don't like Roy Keane and the like...

You can be a good player on the field, and be an a-hole off of it. Back in his prime, I would have loved to have had him on my team...I wouldn't have liked him any more however

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Wynalda is a __________

"Clear" to whom?

If he did not "EXCEL" (I guess using CAPS makes it unnecessary to say something factual) then how would you define it?

"A bit of luck"? Yeah, "mate" (see, I can throw in little "footiebrit" stuff too, lad) what a lucky little devil he was.

Your fact-free post is as full of crap as you are.

A bit gormless, aren't you "mate"?

Idiot.