WWC19 USA v ENGLAND Semifinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 28, 2019.

1. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    Referee had a good game: they were both razor-thin margins, but the offside erasing ENG's equalizer and the PK were ultimately called correctly. Cards were also dished out correctly, though USA (Horan?) could have easily been given one that wasn't called. Not an easy game to ref. Well done, USA. Well done, ref.

2. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I’m sorry Megan Rapinoe is your ex wife...

3. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Respect to Alex for giving zero fcks in these days of political correctness! :laugh::ROFLMAO::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

4. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    FOX reported it in the pre-game show at the start when they were discussing line-ups, but then didn't mention it again for some reason. I assume it was to make a big deal out of her being out of the lineup.

FOX was pretty big on how great Rapinoe's been playing, but she's been one of the worst players on the field the entire World Cup. She made 2 huge PK's and scored twice in the France game, once off a set piece... so all is forgotten obviously... but in the run of play, she's without a doubt been the worst player on the field for the USA in this tournament.

MiLLeNNiuM and sitruc repped this.
  5. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Except that White's goal celebration has a pretty neutral context - a homage to a Bundesliga player she likes. But Morgan's one could come off as something mocking the English culture of tea drinking, which might be perceived as a bit tactless.

6. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's a reference to the Boston Tea Party (just prior to the Revolutionary War), but if you want to blow this out of proportion as well... go ahead.

7. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I love this...
    Who’s your 10 guests for dinner ?
    Get it goin’

8. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    It was homage to American political independence from British Empire. Day after tomorrow US is celebrating Independence Day btw... :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party

9. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not me it's the player who chose to use a political reference to mock their opponents. Maybe other nations ' players should do stuff like imitating Trump every time they score against the US then? Or simulating gun shooting?

Non-dairy Creamer repped this.
  10. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Ellis and Neville were shaking hands after the game, there was a shoving match in the background of the TV picture between what appeared to be an American assistant coach and an English assistant coach. What was that all about?

11. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    how do you simulate someone going bankrupt because they got sick? :)

Essex repped this.
  12. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JimWharton, TrueCrew and lukephan repped this.
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    No bias there...:whistling:

jackiesdad repped this.
  14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a homage to Eddie the Eagle

15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't tea. It was your tears.

RalleeMonkey, russ, ShortyMac and 4 others repped this.
  16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't find it.
    Was it the 37th minute of the Youtube video or 37th minute of the match?

17. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Clearly you have a strong bias and a problem with the USA prior to this celebration.

What is your take on Phil Neville's whining about the USA in the media over the past few days? I guess you thought that was classy, right?

My favorite team is USA. My 2nd favorite team is ENG, but I'm not a fan of Neville, especially his comments during this WC. But those comments aside, he definitely got the lineups (particularly Bardsley) and tactics wrong in this game and it cost his team the game.

Does Phil Neville remind anyone else of John Herdman (former CAN coach) or is it just me?

RalleeMonkey, MiLLeNNiuM and sitruc repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I think you are trying too hard.
    If anything, it’s ore like mocking English tea taxing, Which is what lead to this being independence week to begin with.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely. Thought the call around 50th minute was fantastic attention to detail. Ertz tackled the ball and England came in and kicked her lower leg right after. Many times in soccer, ref will call that against Ertz based on appearance alone but she got it right and awarded the free kick to the US.

JimWharton, MiLLeNNiuM and Kevin625 repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I thought it was a concession to those upset about US celebrations-- that she was just sipping tea instead of chugging something stronger, so as not to offend...

zdravstvuyte and blissett repped this.
  21. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed and was impressed with England's confidence/arrogance.

Semblance17 repped this.
  22. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm certainly not the only one who isn't exactly a fan of how the Americans have conducted themselves.

To be honest I haven't paid much attention to what Neville has said in the run-up, but from what I've heard it is either typical manager pre game talk or rather negligible.

John Herdman? I don't know. Neville is a proven football professional with Premier League and champions league titles under this belt, so don't know how one could compare them...

23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And these are the kind of things that give me gray hair... or, I should be saying, MORE gray hairs.

blissett and Semblance17 repped this.
  24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    And has been gone over before, today is the 243rd anniversary of the vote on independence. We had been independent for two days already on the fourth.

25. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it was british Tea Taxing and it was proven by historians that it was hardly ever Collected, made a good rallying call tho.

washington and co just wanted that Native land which they were barred from has more truth.