WUSA should consider Futsal

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Tom Swift, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    I've read alot of good points and I don't disagree with them. But most of the points I've read regard the men's game. I don't think there's a direct translation between men's and women's sports. Men's outdoor soccer is doing well in the U.S. and that's good. Men's soccer is also more locked into tradition than women's soccer. The women's game has a different dynamic. The '99 world cup drew in alot of non-traditional fans. The WUSA's business model was part of the problem, but it also saw falling attendance as the non-traditional fan base fell away.

The '99 world cup game was low scoring but it was a great game. Past experience did not predict the success of that game. It had likeable stars and drama. 1-0 games are also exciting in long established rivalries in men's leagues. The WUSA unfortunately lacked tradition and the drama of the world cup. I still think that non-traditonal options should be explored in the future.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yikes. I really wanna bring out the flamethrower, but I won't.

Look. You're 99.9999% wrong here. Trust me.

But more to the point.... This is the WUSA forum. It's where we discuss the dearly departed WUSA and also prospects for a future professional women's outdoor soccer league. Currently the Womens Soccer Initiative, Inc. (WSII) is working on several business plans and is lining up investors (including USL and MLS teams). The current target is to relaunch in 2007. Will it happen? Who knows.

But that's what this forum is for - that's what the regular denizens of this forum are waiting for.

You, however, seem to want indoor soccer. That's great. I have no personal problem with indoor soccer or futsal. If there was a futsal league, I'd be 1) shocked and 2) interested. I have no - as in zero - interest in "Indoor soccer".

As such, there is an Indoor Soccer forum. The absence or presence of an outdoor league doesn't affect an attempt to create an indoor league.

My advice? Go sell your plan in the "Indoor Soccer" forum - or if you don't like that one, there's a Forum Suggestions forum in Customer Service where you can request that they start a Women's Indoor Soccer forum.

Your posts tell me 1) that you have absolutely no clue why the WUSA failed - none. 2) that you are unaware of anything that the WUSA actually did right. 3) that you don't understand the business of sports leagues - revenues/expenses/marketing. 4) that you've decided to solve all the world's problems and that you've come up with the "one true religion" and nothing that any of us type will sway you from the "path to enlightenment'.

Basically, I've been arguing with a religious zealot. That never ends well.

It's obvious that no facts or arguments than any of us put forward will change your thinking. My advice, get the admins to start a Womens Indoor Soccer forum. Best of luck with your ideas.

3. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Yes. As you noticed, I like indoor soccer. :)

If a women's outdoor pro league reforms next year, I would be very happy. (honest) If the WUSA's departure was an isolated case of a bad business model, then a new pro league will probably be a success. I hope your right.

Of course, if that league fails, I'll probably start another annoying thread about indoor soccer. :eek:

TS

4. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    It looks like this thread is coming to an end. (bummer)

I've never had so many replies to one of my posts. Now, I'm giddy.

Hmmmm........... How to keep things going? I'll have to think of another "great" suggestion for women's soccer.

I'm thinking......

TS

5. Bad Soccer

Bad Soccer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    This was a dumb thread to begin with. There will never be a professional futsal league of either gender in the United States. If you got high one day and came up with the idea - "What if ...... what if we made a professional futsal league for women? That would be totally rad!" - then I could understand where you're coming from. Otherwise, I don't even understand what the whole discussion is about. Someone should have just said no.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Then they would just acquire a reputation as being arrogant, and other easily bruised posters would take it upon themselves to object to nearly everything that poster posted.

7. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    True, Andy, but in all fairness, those were HORRENDOUSLY marketed. I mean HORRENDOUSLY. Unless you were a relative of Keith Tozer or an employee of the Wave, you would've never known they were happening.

I'm not saying they were gonna sell out the arena up there...I as born in the monring, but not this morning...but they might have drawn some curiosity seekers had anyone actually known it was happening.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm in Durham, North Carolina and I knew they were happening.

9. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    You're a soccer journalist...it's your responsibility to know. There are, what, 3 million people in Milwaukee and the suburbs...how many of THEM do you think knew it was going on?

10. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah! ... you and your damn facts! What good will that do anyone? :D

11. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    The avg. attendance at MLS games is good, but, after a decade, it hasn't risen above the year one levels. Last Saturday, only one game didn't end in either a shutout or a stalemate. Arena football is getting better tv ratings than either the Mexican league or the MLS.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272|||sports,00.html

Maybe things will improve when all these new soccer stadiums are built. Alot of money is being pumped into the MLS, but I don't see an upward trend in avg. attendance or tv ratings yet.

I know futsal is nowhere near the outdoor game in popularity, but that can change in the U.S. market. Next year, it will be featured in the Pan American games. There's a good chance it will be in the next summer Olympics which'll give it a boost in visibility and credibility. That's why I think it's too soon to count it out.

TS

12. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Curling is in the Winter Olympics. :rolleyes:

13. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    C'mon. Be honest. Futsal is not curling.

14. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For the US mainstream media or sports fan, it's pretty damn close. But your logic doesn't work. Just cuz it MAY appear in the Summer Olympics it doesn't necessarily lead to Futsal to get a "boost in visibility and credibility." Thus, ask if curling has had any "boost in visibility and credibility" since 1998? Not like curling? OK....How about Volleyball? Since 1964, it has been a Summer Olympic sport. Aside from the T&A factor of beach volleyball, what successful professional volleyball league exists?

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Now you're just trolling.

Please take your pet project to the Womens Indoor Soccer boards.

If you want to help come up with a way to make Womens outdoor soccer viable - under FIFA's LOTG - then please join in.

16. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Yea, one game.

At that, the MISL changed the announced format (Best of 3) to a two game series. If tied after the second (televised) game, they will play a "golden goal" overtime.

I love indoor soccer and prefer it to outdoor. But everyone here is correct. The MISL or some other indoor soccer league will hang on but futsal will not make it at least until the next generation, if even then. I think there would be a better chance of team handball making it in the US than futsal as a pro league.

17. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005

I agree that futsal won't catch on for the men's game. We already have the MLS & MISL. I think it's a good option for women's pro soccer. When starting a new sports league, entertainment value trumps tradition. Arena football, as previously mentioned, is beating outdoor soccer, in the tv ratings. Outdoor soccer is age-old and played around the world. Arena football was invented in the 80's. (By the way, Jim Foster, the inventor of arena football, was inspired by indoor soccer.) Why is a young, spin-off sport like arena football beating grand old FIFA-style soccer? It's fun to watch.

Besides the hard core fans, people don't want to sit for two hours for a game that repeatedly ends in either a shutout or a tie. Americans hate ties. The new college football overtime format is a huge success.

Futsal games are quick, high scoring, and fun. With proper promotion and the stars of women's soccer, it's a game that can compete for the American sports fan.

18. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Or is because American Football is far more established than soccer?! :eek: [Agast!]

So. What market study you have that proves your point?

19. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Totally agree with you there.

The AFL did not grow until the NFL invested in the league. Another thing that did not hurt is that NBC lost the NFL and wanted to broadcast football. When the XFL, that they started with the WWE, failed the only other option was to go to the AFL.

If you also do not think that men's futsal will not catch on in the US, why would womens? All the reasons you listed are the same for the mens game as the womens, with the mens game being faster paced than the womens.

I love the college overtime and wish the pro game would adopt it. I was also a huge fan of the MLS's old shootout. I would love to see it come back. First play a 15 minute golden goal overtime then if still tied do the shootout.

I think womens outdoor soccer in the US will be a struggle no matter what, heck the mens game is. Just because two womens leagues failed is not a reason to abandon it. I cannot even count the mens pro leagues that failed in the US before the MLS was founded.

20. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    In answer to your question.... The men have more traditional fans and an established indoor league. There's no need for another indoor league. The women depend more on non-traditional fans.

I hate saying this, but outdoor soccer is a hard sell in this country. I hear alot about the WUSA going a 100 million dollars into debt, but, last I read, the MLS is 300 million in debt.

I'm proposing that future women's initiatives do market studies on indoor soccer. Why repeat the failures of the past?

I'm just throwing out an idea. The FIFA president's "great idea" for women's soccer was sexy uniforms. I'm asking for a "sexier" game.

21. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Also....

Soccer has been in this county just as long or longer than American football. We should be asking why it hasn't established itself. American football has always been open to rule changes that open up offensive play. NFL fans aren't as hostile to arena football as soccer fans are to the indoor game.

22. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Maybe ... thing is, I would like to see the rulesmakers of futsal, team handball, and indoor field hockey to make their fields identical in size with identical markings, place different goals along the end lines, and the rails on the sidelines for indoor hockey, and have athletic competitions between two groups of players in which the best all-around team wins at the end of the evening.

Just a thought.

23. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Indoor soccer only exists due to the fact that arena owners in the 70's and 80's needed something to fill the 'dark' dates on their arena schedule. MISL jumped on the bandwagon that still existed with NASL at the time and offered a high tempo version of the game.

The problem now is that arena owners now have a much larger varity of sports to choose from to cover those 'dark' dates. Arena football, minor league hockey, junior hockey, and lacrosse give more options than there was when indoor soccer was at it's peak.

Not likely to help women's soccer. A well-administrated outdoor league would do much better.

24. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I used to be the president for the futsal association in my state. After ten years of banging my head against the wall, I gave up. It's a great game, don't get me wrong. You want fast? You got it. You want exciting? Ditto. But, futsal (which used to be called minisoccer in the USA) came along about ten years too late (the NASL was conducting indoor tourneys in the early-mid 70's), and was left in the dust in the late 70's by the MISL. I too, think the turf-and-boards variety of indoor, on the pro level, is on life support, but only one who is involved with the amateur game or an arena owner could gauge its vitality on the local level (who knows, it may be thriving).

In my opinion, futsal is handicapped by its federation, which is too small to grow the game, and not powerful enough to be a presence on the international scale (the USMNT for futsal is made up mostly of MISL players). It has pockets of popularity here and there, and I believe, sadly, that is as far as it will go. Who knows, it could be a hit if enough people saw it, but then again, it might not.

Personally, I feel that traditional five a side (like the British play) is more viable than futsal, for several reasons. It can be played both indoors and out, and the rules are the same (boards are optional, but permissable). It takes less specialized equipment (no low-bounce ball or special 2m x 3m goals; you use 6'-61/2' x 12' goals and a regular 4 or 5 ball), and is easier to set up (a semi-circle goal area is a heck of a lot easier to draw than a "D"--believe me, I've done both). And unlike futsal, "official" games can be played on grass, turf, or soil. The Football Association website had an article that stated that more people play five a side now than do 11 a side (although I bet there are a lot of people who play both). We have played both futsal and five a side in our Upward league at church, and I think the latter suits us better (although I still like futsal).

I think, in hindsight, that although futsal is a great game, and though it is popular elsewhere in the world, it will only be a niche sport here, similar to platform tennis and ultimate frisbee. I seriously doubt it will really take off.

Sorry for the long post (which got even longer with my apology :D).

25. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well. I am not sure how they word it. But. I wouldn't doubt it if they mean play more in a regular basis. It's easier to get five together several times during the week with five than eleven. Having managed/assisted teams at the grassroots levels, you can always get five people to have open schedules than eleven can. Even more so with women (at least in my region). My wife plays in amateur leagues and consistently the better attended teams are the 5/6 indoor soccer (non-Futsal, btw) sides than eleven.

Federation aside. Why do you think at the grass roots level it has never taken off like indoor or outdoor soccer? At least in Texas, outdoor soccer has boomed. Futsal has continued to be in a vegetative state.