WUSA in 2004

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by DennisM, Oct 17, 2003.

1. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Article from the San Jose Mercury News today about the WUSA in 2004:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/7027626.htm

"The season would start in April and end before the Olympic Games begin in October. The plans include all eight franchises, which would remain in their original cities."

2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Sounds like they just want to be prepared if a miracle happens and they are able to resume play. I wouldn't get too excited over this, this really is no news.

Also, I thought the Olympics were scheduled to be in late July, early August this time :confused:

3. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Here's a quote from that article:

Isn't this a bit unusual? I don't know much about the soccer world. I would appreciate comments. No rants please--just calm comments.

4. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    So:

1. WUSA can't get TV ratings. Time Warner and Comcast bails.

2. WUSA can't get TV ratings. No one other than Hyundai or Johnson and Johnson are willing to pay for those outrageously overpriced (by at least a factor of 10, if not 100) sponsorships.

3. With Alan R. and Sunil both PO'ed by Foudy's arrogance, they got revenge by advising Uncle Phil to let WUSA starve.

Guess what WUSA is trying to pull now? A charity funding drive at a youth soccer club near you. All WUSA needs is $2500 each from 1000 youth clubs to get back into business, supposedly.

Alan R. and Sunil must be laughing their a-- off
    at this latest move by Foudy et. al.

5. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Aw c'mon. I asked for no rants please.

6. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    VERY unusual. WUSA is not a charity.

I know of soccer clubs that donate money for different causes, but no way are there 2,500 clubs across the country that are going to cough up $1,000 for this cause.

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA

If the average attendance is about 6500 and they charge $12 per ticket and they play 15 games then the season costs $4.75 million.

They have to make it work.

8. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't know about that. There are probably 10 to 20 times as many teams in the country. With 16 players per roster thats $62.50 per player or the equivalent of the parents giving up their daily Starbucks double-latte espresso for a total of 30 days (since we know that Youth soccer is only for rich, suburban kids :) ) it's doable. With only a 10% return rate needed from a mailer it may be possible. Possible only in that the financial werewithawl is there but not probable because the will to do it probably isn't.

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Hey...if they wouldn't vote for a latte tax in Seattle, what makes anyone think this idea would work?

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olympics Soccer Tournament - August 11-28, 2004.

11. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Give up my Grande Carmel Machiatto for women's soccer? That's pushing it! You obviously don't understand the addictiveness of these drinks!

12. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Re: Re: WUSA in 2004

Highly unlikely, and it doesn't solve the problems that led to the WUSA folding in the first place. There has to be widespread public interest in order for a league to start up successfully--that doesn't mean there aren't lots of people who like the WUSA, but simply not enough to feed the ambitious fiscal gameplan that was in place. In order for womens professional soccer to be sucessfull it has to start very small, show financial returns, and most importantly have a very rich backer willing to put it all on the line.

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    define success...

is it to make money...

or to continue to exist...

Most people will agree..it was management, which failed....

so given a competent management, would the WUSA of years 1 - 3 succeed...

I'd maintain the soccer market for women has 3 primary fan bases...

1) soccer fans in general..who'll support the sport regardless of gender...

2) PTH

3) those interested in female sports because it is female sports

getting the tv revenue matter resolved is the biggest matter, and given the endless number of outlets...fixing it is a must.....

as Founders retire, the 80K contracts go away....

the key is for fans NOT to go away with them...

I suspect there aren't many WUSA players who'd get better than 30-35K jobs...for basically 6 months work....

if finances are the issue for a player, then let them pursue alternate paths of employment...

for each player....there's 10 willing to play in the league...

My final point...

NIKE..take some of the money you're spending all over the planet and put it into wusa....

become the official supplier of wusa...and for the elite level player, added cash assistance might be a nice idea...

NIKE considers themselves to be on the social cutting edge...

JUST DO IT...NIKE..

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No.. the season doesn't cost that much, that's how much revenue they bring in. Costs are a totally different beast.

If this scenario is the case, here's hoping the Freedom can play in Germantown MD at the Maryland Soccer Complex where they can draw 5,000 and have it be a sellout.

Sachin

15. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    if each of a citizen gives $ 1.00/season, its more than enough.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    :D

Well.. If I'm giving any money, I'm getting a ticket in return.

And I won't support the WUSA2 unless the people making the financial decisions are replaced.

Sachin