WUSA awards announced

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by StarCityFan, Aug 20, 2002.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 1

Coach - K
    GK - Lucks
    Rookie - Wambach
    Goal of the Year - Katia
    Humanitarian - Sissi
    Referee - Seitz

2. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
  3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

The number of goals Kristin Luckenbill allowed vs. the Charge in the last four meetings.

Melissa Moore was hosed, jobbed, robbed, big-time here. Do we REALLY need to trot out the numbers? All are regular season stats:

GAA: Moore 1.00, Luckenbill 1.43
    Winning %age: Moore .700, Luckenbill .667
    Save Percentage: Moore .782, Luckenbill .731
    Shutouts: Moore 4 (which could have been 10, and that's the truth), Luckenbill 2

Saves (86 vs. 114) and catches & punches (54-77) were the only categories Moore came up short in. But it would be pretty embarrassing for one team to dominate the awards, so certain concessions need to be made to the finalists. This was one of them.

I respectfully challenge anyone to justify this miscarriage of justice...

Paul

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: 13...

What do you mean "could have been 10"?

How do their 2001 numbers compare to the ones you just posted?

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Re: Re: 13...

When the Charge scored first and then an opposition goal was allowed at some point, like when they would be up 2 or 3-0.

And the goalies' 2001 numbers shouldn't have anything to do with their 2002 performance. Believe me, Fear, you don't want to go there :D :D

Paul

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 13...

I agree, but at least your keeper was nominated.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Many of these are jokes.

Moore was the better keeper but it is impossible to really judge this as the defense plays such a huge roll in a keeper's performance.

A coach that takes a good team and makes it better over a coach that takes a team from worst to first. I wonder how much money changed hands on that one?

Wambach - Well at least this one is right.

Goal of the year - Katia ??? There were at least three better.

Humanitarian - Sissi (What decided this really?)

Referee - Seitz - Referees should be invisible and if they are not, mostly they are not doing their job. Also the referees should NOT receive awards as part of team awards. If they wish to award refs they should do it completely separately.

The WUSA continues to successfully paint itself as the clown of world soccer from every perspective except the play.

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Re: Many of these are jokes.

What about eliminating goalie, then and putting the super-duper ones in the defensive player award mix, then?

Just a thought.

Paul

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that Charge! says nothing about the COY travesty.

Coach A takes a team that made the playoffs one year into the playoffs the next year, without making it to the final.

or

Coach B takes a team that was tied for last place one year to first place and the finals the next year.

I'd vote Coach B anyday.

10. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    This i a post I made on the WUSA boards

Marcia. You were robbed You should have received coach of the year. You played the first half without Prinz and won. You integrated Prinz into the lineup in a week's time. You had to deal with injuries and the whole midfield being pulled for national team duty. You took the team from last place last year to regular season champions this year and on to the FC 2. You kept your cool when we lost in Atlanta because of lousy referring. If that is not the description of coach of the year, I do not know what is.

11. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida