Write Dwight Chapin/SF Chron

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mlsfan11, Oct 13, 2003.

1. mlsfan11

mlsfan11 Member

May 20, 2001
    Daly City, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning there is a small article in the SF Chron http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/13/SPGJO2A4Q71.DTL
    in which Dwight Chapin suggests that since there is nothing exciting in the bay area landscape of sports we should go to some college soccer games. No mention at all about the Western Conference champion Earthquakes. We should notify him that that is a big omission. Don't let this slight of the Earthquakes go unchallenged!

2. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    SENT THIS MORNING TO MR CHAPIN:

Dwight, I must take exception with your opinions in your recent column. It is unconscionable that you could suggest that, in the midst of yet another season with the Earthquakes at the top of the table, “there isn't much reason to get excited about anything else in the Bay Area professional sports landscape.” I have nothing against college soccer, but for you to suggest that about the only thing going on is the college season, you are doing your readers a tremendous disservice. You obviously are familiar with the team, so I have a hard time understanding your reasons for slanting your coverage in such a way. Being one that covers the Earthquakes, you would have to know the Landon Donovan is one of the sport’s most exciting players. In fact, last week, he won three different awards including US Player of the Year. Are you actually saying that that isn’t worth noting or watching?

And the team is not just about Donovan. You would find a consensus among most any objective soccer online message board that San Jose has one of the strongest teams in the league, quite possibly the favorite to win the MLS Cup again this year. And, they have been arguably the most consistently good team across the last three years. I am disappointed by the lack of respect that you and your paper seem to have for the team and the sport on the professional level. In the interests of objectivity and fairness, wouldn’t it be more appropriate for you to look at the big picture before publishing such misleading information in the future? There is a large number of soccer fans in the Bay Area, some that might even be interested in attending a professional game. However, when your paper tells them that the only thing going is college soccer, you are not even telling half of the story. Stories like this cost you and your paper a ton of credibility.

Mike McClellan.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's Chapin's email address? It doesn't show in the article I received.

4. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Here's Dwight Chapin's email:

dchapin@sfchronicle.com

General Feedback:

chronfeedback@sfchronicle.com

I was surprised that there was no mention of the Quakes, too.

5. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    The article appears geared specifically to live sports in the Bay Area during the upcoming weekend.

But since the article came out today (Monday), he certainly could have mentioned the Chivas match tomorrow. In fact, I don't see why he would not have mentioned it, unless he is totally unaware of it.

Another possibility is his article was originally longer than as printed, and the Chron sports editor deleted the remainder of it to save space. I don't know which would be worse.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chapin's reply

Here's what he wrote back to me:

That On Campus is a weekly feature on college sports. I was just making a point this morning in that there's plenty to watch in college sports locally. I'm on vacation until next week, but rest assured I'll pick up my Quakes coverage then as the playoffs draw near.

Appreciate your writing me.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That bastard.

8. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    Dwight's my homie. I think he's just bitter. Regardless, they're his opinions. But, it's good to let him know how you feel, but from experience nothing will show up in print. His perception might change, but he won't print that because it would only make him look bafoonish. Those who are ignorant to the fact that professional soccer exsists here are the unfortunate. And those who do know, yet fail to recognize that it is worthwhile only deserve empathy not recognition.