WPSL or W-LEAGUE?

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by DCunited11, Apr 18, 2005.

1. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    is the wpsl a lower league than the W-league?

if so, why is SISSI play for a wpsl team??? come to hampton roads with daniela!!!

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's what I want to know. Which league is better? Augustyniak sisters signed with FC Indiana in WPSL.

3. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I don't know that you can say one league is stronger than the other. Each one has a few really strong teams and a lot of average teams. Part of it's geographic. Players who want to stay on the west coast play in the WPSL, since there are no west coast teams in the W-league. WPSL doesn't have much of an east coast presence, although it's starting to grow. Along with geography you've got several other factors. Teams with a strong roster and respected coaching (like the W-league NJ Wildcats and WPSL California Storm last year) tend to continue to draw good players, since the players know they'll benefit more from the training than if they were in an average group. I'm sure that the economic opportunities from camps and clinics also come into play.

It's pretty subjective. One website (womensworldfootball.com) picks the W-league as #2 league in the world and WPSL as #5. Based on what? Who knows? I'm not aware of any head-to-head competition between the leagues. Do you pick it based on the top international players that the league draws? Do you look at the number of national team players (youth and adult) on a roster? There are teams that are worth watching in both leagues. It would be pretty cool to see some sort of cross-league playoff. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen, though.

4. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    so...

wpsl is to w-league as a-leauge is to mls??

something like that?? i just wanted to know if one was at a higher level or something of that nature

5. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    The simple answer is "no".

The W-League is not a higher level league. The quality of the two leagues is comparable. Each league claims to be stronger than the other but they're just blowing smoke. Of course they're going to say that.

The teams that formed the WPSL used to be the Western Division of the W-League. They weren't happy in the W-League, withdrew from it and started their own league.

The leagues are sanctioned somewhat diferently but this has more to do with USSF politics than with any significant difference between the leagues. Both leagues are amateur. The main difference is regional. The top level league on the left coast is the WPSL; the top level league on the right coast is the W-League.

6. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    The W-League has an established track record with many of the WUSA players coming from their ranks. The WLeague is recognized as one of the top Womens Leagues in the world.

7. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Similar things can be said of the WPSL.

8. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Yes but not as much the the w-league.The wpsl is a good league no doubt as good at this time as the w-league no but they are getting there.

9. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    There are 2 teams that were without compare last year.

California Storm - WPSL
    NJ Wildcats - W-League

Both attracted the most of the WUSA players. Storm claimed more, but most really only played in one game.

Again, both leagues are equal - Almost even in the WUSA players they attracted, dont forget USWNT had a camp for the better part of the year and sucked many players into that.

Being recognized on a website for being the #2 league, isn't much. especailly since they did not list any criteria and the website really has no validity. Who heard of the website prior to them making this announcement?

10. viking12

viking12 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    USA
    W-League is better organized, better run and has more quality teams.
    WPSL has New England Mutiny, California Storm and Utah. Three very strong teams.
    Still, Vancouver and NJ of W-League are cream of the crop. Chicago was very good last year but folded this season.
    Here is how I would rank them in North America:
    1. Vancouver
    2. NJ
    3. California
    4. New England
    5. Hampton Roads

11. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I'm glad to see that they are still playing however I am dissappointed because I was hoping that they would sign with Atlanta Silverbacks Women.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City