WPS All-Star Game

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Cville K C, Jun 25, 2009.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know what folks, I actually didn't mind the skorts for this game so much. It was the All-Star game, they wanted to display maybe some personality, and those who feel the reffing was bad, I actually feel it was OK. Sandra Serafini did a good job of not issuing too many cards. I know the bicycle kick was dangerous and Serafini just said play on and rightfully so.
    This was the All-Star game, Folks so something a little different like the Skorts is no big deal.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Meh. I think most including myself are just having fun with the wrap. It got a mixed reaction at the WPS uniform unveiling, but we were told it would never actually see playing time. It was supposed to be for warmups and stuff.

3. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I think that is because FIFA wouldn't allow it.

4. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Did the WPS pay for UMEA to come play?

What did the WPS players get to play? Did the WPS pay their exp??

Playing that game in St Louis was foolish. This game should have been played at a soccer specific stadium not where thousands of youth players play. What made it special??

4100 at the WPS all start game WOW! Notre Dame has drawn more for a college game. All those club players down in that area and soccer fans, Where were they. This is the same place they want a MLS team???

The game was bad- Facility was bad - attendance was bad-

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Was that your first WPS match?

6. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    That was a soccer specific stadium :confused:

I'm assuming Puma covered Umea's costs.

7. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Stadium not a youth complex!!!

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, that stadium was used for World Cup qualifying for the men's national team back in the 80's and early 90's several times. So apparently, grownups play there, too. And why have the game in a stadium that seats 25,000 and then draw only 5000-6000 people. The championship game in Los Angeles only drew 7200 people and that was with the home team being the heavy favorite going in.

And my guess is, if St. Louis ever gets a USL team, that's where they'll play.

9. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    So is the main stadium in Dick's Sporting Goods Park here not a soccer specific stadium because it's also in a youth complex?

Besides, the game wasn't likely to draw much more than 5K anywhere - so if you wanted a larger stadium would it have mattered?

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of scanned through the game and didn't notice us being on during the game, but that was a quick scan. You could hear us though. And on the post game show, they showed Michael painted with the WPS logo and Rogandino said something like who says there aren't crazy fans following women's soccer...look at this guy all painted up. And as they're signing off on the postgame, they showed Michael again and Rokagrl drumming.

Our picture also made the front page of the Post-Dispatch. Rokagrl's drumming and we are in the background. Rokagrl posted the link on the Laclede's Army thread in the St. Louis forum.

11. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    I wonder how many WPS players went and supported their league??At other pro all star games you see many of the players not playing at the event.. Such low expectations...

12. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001

I was really trying to avoid responding to your constant BS, but now I'm mad. When you refer to other pro all star games do you realize you are referring to athletes who make more in a minute than most of these girls did for the season? Give me a break.

Answer the question someone else proferred - "what was your first game"?

Quit trolling.

13. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    I went to one game and saw maybe 6 on TV. I have been to maybe 15 Women's National team games. Does the truth hurt that much?

Its funny when I have written how these players need to make more the "fans"
    say no they are building towards the future. When I say thay need to support their own game. the "fans" say no they don't make enough.

You want to talk about the WPS? Ask the college player how many games they watched.

14. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Okay, you are being silly now. You asked, and I quote "I wonder how many WPS players went and supported their league??At other pro all star games you see many of the players not playing at the event.." I responded that they don't make enough $$$$$$$ to make the trip. I'll bet you most of the players were back to work trying to make $$$$$$$. Do you get it now!?

The rest of your message I didn't understand ...

15. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just saw the repeat on Fox Sports West today(I was busy yesterday so I avoided the internet the rest of the day so I can be surprised today when I watched the re-air)

I really found the match to be entertaining though I agree the officiating was not great.

A couple of comments that aren't meant to offend anybody...

I thought the ALL STAR team was a treat to watch, I enjoy watching all the players though I was a little frustrated the first 20 minutes of the game because I felt that WPS girls were not quite there. In particular, Miyama wasn't at her best and Rapinoe......well..... I don't need to say any more about her two really off frame shots.

Boxxy was awesome as usual getting more offensive, and Marta became the player I've seen her be for most of the of SOL season, wished I could have seen her be that way during the Championship.

Now about the goalie comments and skort comments....

There's been a lot of backlash started on a couple of threads regarding KK and while a little rivalry is fun, sometimes it becomes a little "come on guys" after a while. I love both KK and Solo and was glad to see them both on the field. The popular vote will always be on Solo because she's a VERY outspoken athlete in the media(nothing wrong with that), and is an olympic gold medal keeper. Karina is or WAS an unknown canadian goalie that didn't even start on the canadian national team that has happen to have a very nice recorded inaugural WPS season and I'm glad she got credited to start for the All Star Game. I think she deserves a lot of her recognition for her efforts over the course of the season. She's probably one of the most humble players you'll ever meet.

The skorts are interesting, but are not my cup of tea. It would seem to me that they would hinder play or become bothersome after a while. I did notice one of the camera angles kept focusing on the wraps which was a little ridiculous(I agree crush anybody?)

16. Marvin3002

Marvin3002 New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    That's why they should have held it in San Diego where they no doubt would have played to a full house at the old "Spirit" stadium on the campus at USD.

...he says wishing we could have a franchise, any franchise down in this soccer crazy city......

17. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I'm really hoping San Diego gets it together and becomes the 10th team next year..

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I asked if it was your first match because if it wasn't you would have known exactly what to expect from a facility and attendance standpoint. There are certain realities to women's sports and specifically women's soccer and I'm not sure you acknowledge them.

Like others, I have no idea what the quoted portion of your post is supposed to mean.

19. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    You want to ask the important questions? Ask the same college players (those interested in having soccer as a profession) if they would rather a) play for the W-League, b) leave their country for their chance to play soccer but be away of their love ones, c) stay home, working on something non-soccer related waiting for a call up on the WNT or d) play for WPS instead.

I'm willing to bet my money that most of them want a chance on the WPS league. I really, really hope, I don't have to explain you why.

20. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    now, into something more positive:

“Going into the game, I was just thinking don’t make yourself look crazy in front of all these great players,” Sinclair said. “But honestly, the first five or 10 minutes of the second half were like a dream for me.”

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/sections/wps2.php?article_id=19745

Kudos to Sinclair, for portraying on a bigger scale what some of us already know, she IS a great player that too often gets lost because she is Canadian, :D or gets compared to Abby too much (which IMO is not the worst thing of the world) and a class act, nice to the fans all the time, and willing to stay as long as possible to sign every single piece of memorabilia a fan gives her.

The more reason to understand when Oh dear Katie on FSC was asking her who was she most excited to be playing on the same team with, and she answered "Abby Wambach, because we get compared on our style of play a lot" if someone else got to say Marta, I would started believing all the stuff about being the best of the world, bla, bla, bla ;). The only thing worse than that was Cat Whitehill's dance performance.. maybe she thought she was still at the wedding she attended the day before....

21. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    And the "fans" are right on both counts

22. papyrus

papyrus New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    NYC
    1. This was weird - I thought I hallucinated the entire lineup of the 2003 Sweden nat'l team midfield on the bench, and I guess I was right. Mostrom, Sjostrom -- they retired from everything - what are they doing here???

2. The thing about Swedish fashion is--how can I say this.... animal prints? Is it because they are so pretty that they have to mute their attractiveness with leopard spotted smocks? We will not look away, Frisk, Mostrom and co.!!!

3. "Skort-hate" whoever said that is right. It's not just hate. It's skortophobia.
    It's the skortine flu, the H2 skort virus. It's raising the national alert level above orange but below Red, to a color called "white skort".

However, there was talk at Puma of making what they call a Skilt for men, which is a kilt and shorts combo that apparently tested very well in Sweden, funny enough.

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how apparent it was on TV, but in person it was clear that Abby and Christine were having the time of their lives playing up front together. Seeing that was one of the best things about the whole afternoon.

24. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    yeah, it was apparent on TV. (at least to me) Good to see that 199 were having a great time!

25. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of pics from the game...

Sinclair makes it 4-2

[​IMG]

Umea's keeper makes a kick save on Abby...

[​IMG]

And this one is not as sharp as I would like, but I wanted to post it to show how much these players were cheering for each other. This is right after Sinclair already had two goals and she's gets behind the defense for a chance at a hat trick (which was eventually stopped by the keeper). But look at the WPS bench. LePeilbet, Lilly, LeBlanc, Miyama, and Rapinoe are all on their feet hoping she'll get that 3rd goal.

[​IMG]