WPost's Goff: Right man--for now

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JohnW, Dec 20, 2006.

1. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
  2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I just love that Bruce Arena refers to himself in the third person.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    yea he's a dick...but doesn't mean he's wrong.

4. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004

Good article; a "circus" to quote BA it has been somewhat for the last 5 months;

I don't think the time table has been imperiled or damage control needed. The article reaafirms a reasonable caretaker is in charge.

5. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Doesn't mean he is right. He had 8 years as a US soccer coach and was pretty powerful with the creditability he built up prior to the WC. BA is part of the problem.

6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a very interesting point:
    I think the lack of clarity cuts to the heart of the failures of 06. Bruce's motivational skill was key when we were scrappy underdogs. What was needed at the next stage required someone who clearly defined roles and expectations.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    "All the while, though, Gulati plans to pursue an internationally seasoned coach from Europe or South America, with the intent of hiring someone before two major competitions this summer"

BEFORE...so this is on a fast track, OR they've got their hooks into someone...

if CQ, once the manu season ends, he'd be able to move over....still, it'd be a crash course getting ready for gold cup and copa america, as i'd doubt CQ could have any firm opinions on who to use and what approach would be best...

CQ could be coach in name only with bradley making the detailed decisions

8. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I looked in the Studio 90 archive, but I couldn't find it--I seem to remember an interview with Bobby Convey where he said something to the effect that he didn't know his role or there was something about not being clear on roles at WC '06.

Perhaps someone with a better memory?

9. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Beasley complaining about the same thing. And I felt that Donovan's role was ill-defined (although I don't recall him ever saying that).

10. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Yes, perhaps it was Beasley.

I hadn't thought about it until I read your post, but I know that I remember someone (i.e., either Convey or Beasley) at the time saying something after the Czech game about not knowing their role in the team or game.

11. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC

Maybe we could just recycle all of the threads about what jerk Bruce Arena was/is. Give it a rest.

12. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still are scrappy underdogs.

One of the problems in '06 was believing we no longer were underdogs b/c of the QF finish in '02 and the absurdly high FIFA ranking (#5?! are you kidding me?).

I love this team, but we are nowhere near a top-ten side (maybe top 15, at best). I don't see it as a bad thing to admit this. Overrating and overhyping the USMNT does it no good, especially since the U.S. has achieved its best results when it was way underrated and expectations were low.