Wow- Tv Ratings

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by purojogo, Sep 18, 2003.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Ernesto Mota (the guy who does Metrostars shows for Spanish station-WADO, and has recently started doing TV broadcasts) the ratings for the Spanish broadcast of the Metro game last weekend (on Fox Sports Net -FSNY) was twice of what it was on MSG...
    I wish i could post some numbers, but he did not provide any, but there should be a place where to find out, i suppose......

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I imagine that the combined rating for both the English and Spanish broadcasts is about the same as a typical Metrostars English-only broadcast, and that there are just more people who would rather hear it in Spanish than in English.

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its good news , but really its bad, so you mean a lot of people got to see how bad we are ?

4. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Well of course you could be right, but I'd like to find out since I noticed a few new mainstream advertisers on the broadcast (e.g. American Airlines). If the combined viewership was the same then these guys must have been overestimating their audience (unless the buy rate was different) and we won't be seeing THEM again.

If, OTOH, the combined WAS larger then I would wonder WHY? What would prompt people who like MLS to watch a Spanish broadcast but not the same thing in English (of course the obvious answer is "they don't speak English" but I'm not sure I'd buy that in significant numbers)? I mean, JP and Sh(l)ep aren't THAT bad, are they? :)

=NLK=

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, i am starting to have second thoughts as well...If the combined audience ends up being just about what MSG regularly gets when they had the games all to themselves, then all it would show is that there is a large percentage of Hispanic audience....No surprise here, however, as a hispanic myself, i would wonder whether corporations/companies would take this as such good news...Why? Because Hispanics are not (as a whole) very affluent, and perhaps this would result in companies not being as enthusiastic in advertising for Metro games....I don't know, it's just a thought....
    And yes, the revs game was not a great showcase for the league, much less for the Metros (a real pity)

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a casual fan of Mexican football and sometimes I watch it on Telefutura. If it happened to be on in English I'd watch more of it more often. I bet that's the case (in reverse) for a lot of native Spanish speakers and the Metro.

7. metro4ever

metro4ever New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Metroland-NJ
    Congrats to Mota and Co...
    Viva metros

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I think some kind of natural order is involved:

-- all opera should be in Italian
    -- all futbol shoud be in Spanish
    -- all excuses for not finding WMDs should be
    in very plain English.

9. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Brownsman said:

in very plain English
    --------------------------------------------------

Hey brownsman, let's keep the politics out of the big soccer boards shall we. Talk about Metro only, thanks.

10. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    check, check, X2 check...

Brownsman said:

in very plain English
    --------------------------------------------------

ok true, true, and VERY true, but what I really want to know is... what is the language of love? German? yahhaha

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I believe it's far easier to sell commercial time on a Spanish-language futbol broadcast than it is on an English-language one. You are assured of getting the prime demographic of young to middle-aged males watching in spanish. That assurance hardly exists for soccer on English-language outlets.

As an example, the World Soccer Weekly radio program had an interview with with one of the executives of Fox Sports a while back and he said it's much easier for Fox Sports en Espanol to sell its advertising time than it is for Fox Sports World.

I don't see why advertisers would be less enthusiastic. Besides, the Spanish announcers are generally trusted to "know what they're talking about" more than most English-language soccer announcers in this country. If there's a choice, the Spanish broadcasts will likely win out.

12. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    well as for comentators....

I for one rmember turing on ESPN or ESPN2 somewhere in 01' around 4pm and being surprised AND treated to a friendly btw USA Vs. Italy it was a great game.... in preperation for WC02' Arena and USA were actually being semi-impressive.....

BUT if that game was ALSO available in SPANISH...

no question... i here like many, (but not all) of the board=posters speak both spanish & english....

but if I was gonna watch the same game btw Italy Vs. USA, and had the option... who would I watch some boring English comentators from England....

(((Idea for another thread... why is English-soccer commentating ok, and at best pretty good, while Spanish-soccer comentators amazing, and enough to make your heart beat pump a few faster....I don't know maybe i'm bias)))

FOR ME NO CONTEST: spanish comenators are the bomb, while english comentators just bomb.... I mean when I see EPL matches the game is all the entertainment, YET when you watch a game in Spanish, its the GAME & the COMMENTATORS...

I mean Andres Cantor was even making apperances on the Tonight Show w/Jay Leno, because of his minute long yells of "GOOOAAALLLLLL" whichmade him a celebirty and which many americans had never heard of.....till then.

AND these our actual words from Univision comentators (not Cantor some other guy) btw the quater final match btw Turkey-Brazil WC02' "(turkish goalkeeper) made a save with his finger-tips, the same ones turkish fans are bitting"

or some deviation of the latter.
    just classic....classic

13. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    oh, you're one of those ...

14. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    English PBP is quite excellent once you get used to it. You don't get the varied emotional and volume ups and downs that spanish PBP gives. Sometimes it almost seems like only one man is covering the EPL games. That's just the style. I rather like the droll sarcasm, biting put downs and, to me anyway, real understanding of more aspcects of the game.

Also I don't understand spanish, though I now know what an "Eskina" is (sorry for the sp).

And I really do appreciate that the Telemundo, Univision, & Galavision family shows the games that I normally wouldn't be able to see at all.

Merci - sorry
    Danka - oops
    Arrigato - daoooh
    .... thanks

15. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Okay, I apologize.

-- all opera should be in French, German, or Russian if it isn't already in Italian.

How's that?