Would You Rather Have Sigi Back?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by jtmunchie, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jtmunchie

jtmunchie New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    You guys are talking about fireing Steve Sampson. who would you rather have him or Zigi as a coach

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Coaching Status

Who is Zigi?

3. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread title changed.

Yes, I'd rather have Sigi back, but it would be choosing the lesser of two evils.

I'd rather have a coach who knows how to push forward like Bob Bradley or Bruce Arena.

In defense of Sampson, it's not his fault that our marquee player, LAndon, does his disappearing act.

If we had LDo, Vagenas, and Albright back on the field at the same time, it would be an upgrade, too.

Topper

:D :D

4. 100fuegos

100fuegos New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    no, I would rather have Zambrano back.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With or without his player-agent conflicts of interest?

In a league of retread coaches, there is a reason no one has given Zambrano a look-see in 5 or 6 years.

But he sure dressed nice!

6. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    To answer the topic: No.

Why go back down that road? Somewhere, somehow, there is a coach for this team. Other MLS teams have managed to survive and thrive without Sigi all these years, and the Galaxy can too. Just gotta find our man.

7. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who besides DC and San Jose would you say has thrived and what does survived mean?

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess except for the Florida teams, they have all survived without Sigi. But all thrived? I think there are a lot of teams out there who have done a heck of a lot worse without Sigi than we did with him. Things were pretty bad at the end, but don't discount the fact that LAG actually won several cups during his tenure. A lot more hardware than NY (with Brilliant Bob) has, for example, or Colorado, or New England, or Dallas.

If the only choice was Sampson or Sigi, I would opt for Sigi in a New York minute. But, as I have said before, the team should open its eyes to the big wide world of soccer and see who else is out there and available.

There are some fairly big name and successful coaches who are out of a job right now. Ruud Gullit (probably butchered that spelling) comes to mind.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I say no more coaches with SS for initials.

10. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They say, offence wins games but defence wins championships...Sigi did win some silverware here. Given the choice between the 2, Sigi win's hands down. However, it's time for a serious coaching search...of course, Sampson needs to be shown the door first and hopefully it's not Hamilton or Leiweiki doing the search.

11. bhlightnr

bhlightnr New Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thing we forget is that at times Sigi had teams that could counterattack, but played good aggressive defense. He also delivered the cup. Would I take him back, in a heartbeat, I regret we let him go in the first place.

12. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just know that Sigi has to be reading this thread and smiling.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I wanna wipe that smile off his face then. He is back to his old ways, blaming the players for everything in U20 WC, as if his tactics were flawless or something.

14. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pick the lesser of two poisons...both suck donkey tits, and I'm sure I'd be cursing at Sigi this far into the season as well

15. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    But maybe if Sigi was here, we wouldnt have all this sh!t going on...

16. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    How soon so many of us forget 2003. Game after game of the same players, same ineffective team. And in 2004, Sigi's team was on an 8 game lackluster slide prior to his dismissal, our early successes were no longer being duplicated, and that oft vaunted "We were in first place!" deal amounts to nothing more than revisionists' pipe dreams. We weren't kicking anybody's ass by that time, looked like the 2003 team, and were heading down in the table while teams like KC were coming on strong.

The Sigi era is over and rightfully so. Now we just have to put a boot in Sampson's ass and find someone who can turn this team around.