Would Cakes Fit in at CITY?

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by pazzmore, Jul 22, 2008.

1. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landycakes says he wants to go play in England now:
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=3941

My question to you is this: Would he be a good fit for City?

I think yes. His speed and endurance are perfect for our big pitch and he could be a good replacement for Darius Vassell. His small size and finishing touch would be a nice compliment to Jo or Benjani, but he could also hold it down on the Right Wing with his speed and crosses or in the middle with his playmaking abilities.

He is only 26, yet has 2 world cups, 101 caps and 36 Goals for the Yanks and 3 domestic cups in the States.

Petrov on the left and Donovan on the right would create havoc for defenders.

What do you all think? Cakes to City???

2. Shamrock Rovers

Oct 4, 2007
    Lima, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhm normally he plays right behind the strikers where Elano has somewhat nailed down. He has played wide right for the national team though and I have liked him on the international stage better wide right then down the middle. I think he would be a good fit, but I would like to hold onto Vassel for depth unless he becomes unsettled.

3. Shamrock Rovers

Oct 4, 2007
    Lima, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link to the story.

4. TheNeutral

TheNeutral New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    No, City need to be luring world class players or players who are approaching world class if they want to build the team that the Dr. wants. Donovan couldn't cut it in the Bundesliga and his only achievements since at club level have been in the MLS, which is about the equivalent of the English League One, Beckham or not.

5. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neutral,
    I think you are quite wrong about Donovan. I don't want to sound like his agent or anything.... but the kid is much more talented than Dempsey or McBride (who have done well in the Prem). True, he failed to muster up the guns to stick around in Germany, but given the right squad and proper position (right wing) he would make an immediate impact. He is incredibly fast, has a natural goal scoring instinct, is very creative and usually has his best games in big matches (even though his 96 WC was pretty bad). Just ask the Mexican Ntl. team how good he is.

Making Rafa Marquez look terrible:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOvfQ2LoZw

6. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester City getting Landon Donovan?...It's like having an delicious Ice Cream Sundae then adding Hydrochloric Acid as a topping.

7. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haw! pretty damn funny Jugger.

(i just noticed the typo of my last post.. 06 WC of course, not 96... 'memmer the Czech Republic team at Euro 96? impressive... and if I recall, there was not a single CITY player in the tourney.

8. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would pass on Donovan. He had his Bundesliga experiment, and given it was a long time ago, but there are far better players to nab other than him. He's a good player, but I don't know if he is PL caliber.