Worth a listen

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Number007, Jan 22, 2020.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Since that movie, Ms Hamm has become head women's soccer coach at UC Davis. She brought a handful of players with her from SF State, including their best keeper and leading scorer.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  3. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for me...a fascinating story...judge for yourself, or not.

5. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
    Coach Hamm put herself in this hostile environment riddled with men that don’t appreciate female coaches and she crushed it. So much respect for her.

6. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I for one really enjoyed watching the film on Tracy Hamm's experiences. She deserves a lot of credit. Takes a lot of guts to go abroad to get a license, especially in that environment and being one of the few very few females to do it. I also like that she found a way to get around the ludicrous USSF rules where she could not get a waiver but was able to get into a UEFA course instead. There are typically only 2-3 female coaches at USSF A or B licensing courses so it's crazy to me they would turn someone away with legit experience. I have a lot of respect for her to commit to all that and wish her lots of success which I know in time will come her way.

In women's college soccer only about 30% of head coaches at the DI level are female. I would think many people involved within this sport would like to see that percentage significantly increase as female players need female role models and that includes myself but only if it's done appropriately and fairly. I have on occasion on this board been critical of some of the female hires because they lack credentials and/or experience. While we need more females to become head coaches, it is also not appropriate for someone with a D license and 2-3 years of assistant coach experience and to somehow get a DI head job over other candidates simply for their gender. I applaud the effort of Tracy Hamm to become a head coach at the DII level and really working on refining her craft in an uncomfortable setting before going for a UEFA license and landing her first DI gig. We need more of these females to step up the plate in similar scenarios instead of the inexperienced ones that get opportunities that fail or burn out after just a few years because they weren't ready or didn't have the experience or mentorship to succeed (which doesn't really help females in the long run anyway). That was a good film to see and I'm rooting for you Tracy.

L'orange, ping and ytrs repped this.