Worst sellout?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bojendyk, Nov 24, 2004.

1. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I was thinking the other day about this while talking to a friend about Rod Stewart, who went from fronting the Faces to disco and now this awful, pandering "American Songbook" garbage. But is he really the worst offender? After all, the Faces were playing the style of music that was popular at the time, so it's not too surprising that Stewart followed the trends of popularity, even if it led him to record garbage like "Love Touch."

So, what band or artist has had the biggest shift from radical or innovative to pandering and popular?

I'm not a fan of Genesis in any of their incarnations, but they seem to me to have had the biggest shift.

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Police
    The Clash - before you flame me for this one, think "Combat Rock"
    Jefferson Airplane/Starship

3. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I can't quite agree on The Clash, even if I think that album is one of their weaker ones. The funk and hip-hop they explore on that album was still fairly out of the mainstream at the time.

The Police isn't a bad answer, especially if you include Sting's solo career.

Good suggestion!

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some more:

Carlos Santana
    U2
    Rolling Stones
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

6. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Liz Phair

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metallica

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Excellent answer!

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to be good to sell out. I saw her in concert a few years ago and she was just plain horrible.

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genesis had a fairly significant personnel change that accounts for some of the shift. With Peter Gabriel gone, the sellout was inevitable. You think Mike Rutherford was going to keep Phil Collins from going 'mersh?

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago

I've never liked her either, but at least that first album was indie rock without much hope for commerical appeal. The newest stuff sounds like Britney Spears.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Killing Joke tried. But in order to sell-out, someone has to be buying.

13. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    She is not great live, but to go from Exile in Guyville (which is in my top 5 albums of all time) to the dreck she released last year is one of the biggest dissapointments of my life.

14. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Combat Rock? The album that has Innoculated City, Straight To Hell and Rock The Casbah?? Are you confusing "becoming popular" with "making a choice to pander to the lowest common denominator?"

And I wouldn't say U2 is a "sellout". They've never been afraid of fame, and I don't feel they ever made a choice to do what was popular (I remember quite a few puzzled faces on the masses when they first heard the opening riffs from the Fly come through the speakers). They've pretty much always put out what they wanted, and it's hardly their fault if it sold millions.

15. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul McCartney. Considering what the Beatles were and his contribution, to what his solo career became...I don't think anyone comes even close.

Could you see John Lennon doing duets ala "The Girl Is Mine," or "Ebony And Ivory?"

16. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Paul, though, was the most pop-oriented member of the Beatles. While Lennon was doing Happiness is a Warm Gun on The White Album, Paul is doing Martha My Dear. He always has been this way so he really never sold out than just gave into his real intentions as a performer.

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Yea, but he also did "Helter Skelter" :)

But really, Paul went from sappy brilliance to just sappy. His only crime is getting old and losing a bit of edge. But there is little to no excuse for The Girl Is Mine and Ebony And Ivory.

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way-I aint buying that.

It's one thing to be the "pop" side of an innovative songwriting team; another to write absolute garbage and pander to Top 40.

Or to put in another way, you can be pop-oriented and still have an edge. He lost his and decided to churn out banal crap.

19. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    Agreed.

The confusion of these two things drives me crazy. Everybody's ready to turn on a band when everybody else finds out about them. Ridiculous.

The problem wit U2 is that they suck now. Plain and simple.

Bono was a much better rock star before he decided he was a rock star.

20. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    The only reason he had any edge is because he had Lennon looking over his shoulder. Competition can do that. If you want to see how far his tallents went down in a short period of time, compare the last two Beatle albums to the first two solo Paul albums. Without the edge, he slipped into total insipid writing.

That being said, he has done some good stuff solo (I put "Jet" as one of the best singles of the '70s) and I can appreciate his tallent, but he never was the edgy Beatle, despite writing Helter Skelter.

21. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, while I'm in rant mode :)

Stevie-"I Just Called To Say I Love You"-Wonder...what happened?

And growing old can't explain all of this.

22. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I just recalled one of the more inept attempts to sell out: does anyone remember when Corrosion of Conformity decided that they were going to be a Southern rock band?

23. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Saw Her Standing There. Hmmmmmm. A cutting edge song if I ever heard one. The most radical bit was rhyming 'there'/'compare', owing to the fact that the Beatles are Scousers.

No. McCartney started out doing pop music. His influences were popular artists. He became more innovative, but never the equal of Lennon in how far off the beaten track.

Look at Eleanor Rigby. This is close to music hall stuff. What/which Paul McCartney are you talking about?

24. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just differ on this-I don't think that's a fair description of how the Beatles created-Paul was equally innovative. George Martin often spoke about how the John="edge" is something of a myth.

25. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Sgt Peppers..." is basically Paul's concept. This was his answer to "Pet Sounds."