Worst offensive team league has ever seen

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Daksims, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...29&content_id=18003&vkey=mlscup2004&fext=.jsp

. . . in 30 games this year, the Rapids scored 29 times. Twenty-nine goals. That's it. For those of you who aren't paying attention, that is the lowest goal total in the history of MLS. For those of you who can't add, this is the first time a team has scored fewer goals than games played. On paper, this is the worst offensive team this league has ever seen. But look on the bright side: they did manage to score two more goals than Roy Lassiter did in 1996. Lassiter alone scored 27 goals that year.

You can bet this might be the last time I say this. I miss Carrieri.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Great point. You have to wonder if Hankinson won't be hitting the road after this year. They had it together defensively but can't seem to do much on the other end of the field.

That said, looking simply at goals only means so much. They didn't let in many either.

3. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

I thought it was all but final that Hankinson would be gone after this year. I hope there is no change of heart.

4. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    29!?

29! Yeah, and that coulds the own goals we were given!!!!!

I am unsure how many "Fire Hankinson Now" threads have run over the past two years, but the 29 goal output and the complete lack of offensive creativity are two of the big reasons for such posts.

I have posted the idea that the new owners are 'learning' soccer this season, letting Yoda's contract expire, then will put their own stamp on next season. Just like the Nuggets.

BTW I predict a 1-1 tie tonight.

RLH

5. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    okay so they have less offensive than others.. bottom line we are in the playoffs and two teams are not.... did dallas have more offense did chicago.. gee i wonder what they are doing tonight??? i am a true fan and would rather right now support than critique if they can win with defense that is fine by me....

6. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

Well, I think we are all "true fans" on this board, and hope the best for the Rapids but that is rather a damning statistic. Yes, Dallas isn't here ; but we lost to them when they were playing with 9, remember? And Chicago lost their best field player this year (Beasley), they lost a good goal keeper last year (Thornton) and they suffered tons of injuries. I think any reasonable analysis puts us about even with those two teams.

We rode a hot goalkeeper this year.

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    You got that right - If I recall correctly, Joe led the league in saves and shots against. These stats are not indictitive of a high quality defense. Don't get me wrong, I think the 'D' has played well, but if not for Joe, this team is watching not playing now.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    yet if the Rapids win MLS Cup, does it matter?

though I'd admit attendance might be better if there are more goals

Colorado needs an all-star striker. Hopefully they an get one. Never have had a USMNT striker that scores at a decent clip.

9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Defense wins championships so .. screw the offense!!!

so prediction:

CO 0-0 LA

Colorado wins!!!

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EW puts this year's Rapids with the worst in league history. Awesome.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Apparently Defense didn't win the championship. Time to can Hankinson. DO IT TODAY!