Worst Case/Best Case Scenarios

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BUSA Bulldog, May 4, 2008.

1. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we close in on 1/3 of the way through our season, what is the worst case and best case scenarios for our beloved team after 10-, 20-, and end of season?

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really depends on a few things. Are we going to continue playing short on our roster (most likely)? Are the injury issues finally going to go away (doubt it)?

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will have a better chance of predicting how this team will fair this season when we see a healthy roster of starters available. If I had to guess,when Twellman and Ralston are available to start the Revs will play a lot better soccer than we've seen so far this season. With the East being as strong as it seems to be this year I think it's going to be a real dog fight with no team in the East able distance itself from the pack.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 30 games. We've played seven games.

30-7=23*3=69+10

Best case scenario: 79 points.
    Worst case scenario: 10 points.

Most likely scenario based on current year performance to date: 43 points.

43 points is enough to get you into the playoffs about 75% of the time.

5. DREWWW

DREWWW Member

Jan 24, 2006
    H2Otown, Masachewsez
    I was going to say best case is Supporters Shield winners, and Worst case is last place isn't it? :p

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but we play Houston one more time, and if we lost every game, and they lost every game except that one, then we'd still be better than last place, so I'm not sure that that is a definite possibility ;)

7. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I think we'll end up the season in 3rd in the East, just as I predicted before the start of the season. I certainly didn't expect Toronto and Columbus to be as hot as they are right now, but I think Chicago and DC will have the top two spots. The battle for 3rd and 4th (possibly even 5th) will be tough this year.

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What have you seen of the on field play of DCU that leads you to believe that they are a team that will finish near the top of the East?

MLS with it's tendency for parity suggest that there is little difference between most teams and that just a few fine adjustments may well make a big difference in a teams standing. It's clear the Crew is a much improved side this season. It's clear that DCU isn't the same team without Olson and Gomez. It's clear the Fire has a solid defense and Mr White is a real difference maker. We don't yet know for sure what the Revs will be like because they have yet to field their preferred starting eleven. In short, preseason reputations and assessments based on the hype of newly signed players is a poor gage of who will play well. Now that teams have played a few games and shown what their 2008 roster can produce my assessment is that the East is going to be a real fur-ball and at the moment highly unpredictable.

9. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:It is amazing how someone makes a prediction based on feeling, and you rip them. Yet in the same thread you make assumptions that the Revs will be better and more consistent when healthy. Why can't one assume that when DC gets healthy, they will play better as well? Or when they sign the new player(s) that are rumored to be happening? Why is it ok for you to assume the Revs will be better, yet not ok for one to assume DC will be better? Predictions are what they are, and if you disagree with the opinion, don't back it up by arguing against the same merits of your argument. As much as you can assume the Revs will be better with TT, ngower can assume DC will be better if/when Olsen comes back and Gallardo becomes more comfortable with the team. It is fine for you to disagree with his judgment, but don't sit here and make your own assumptions at the same time as railing against his. Seriously, it is amazing how much smarter you are than everyone else:rolleyes:

10. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    DC also have an open DP slot in the event they want to sign Veron, Riquelme, or whoever else. They'd probably have to offload some salary for it, but the draft picks/players they could get in return would be pretty good.

11. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we look like a "squeek in to the playoffs side", but only if we get healthy and start getting some results. Dropping all the points at home on a regular basis is not a good formula for winning trophies:mad:

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our home record cost us the Supporter’s Shield last year, and so far … well it’s not exactly helping us out that much.

Friggin’ TFC is ahead of us on points per game. Ouch.

13. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it feels like we switched places in the universe with the columbus crew. look good on paper, can't get it done on the field:eek:

We feel like a 38 point team right now:mad:

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-2 at home. 2 straight home loses without even a goal scored. 2 goals in the last four games. No semblance of an offense whatsoever. Horrendous defensive leaks on Saturday night. $500k under the cap. Two allocations about to be wasted. Two roster spots open.

But other than that, everything's great.

15. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and it felt so good and even different coming into the start of the season.:confused:

I blame it all on chris albright. I hate him. it's all his fault.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong. I actually think the Revs are a pretty talented team this year. But again, bad planning has resulted in being short on the roster. I think the veteran players are pretty good. I think once the youngsters really start to contribute consistently ... and we fill the roster with players that are capable of helping ... we'll be OK.

It's just the stretch of waiting for that to happen that I don't like.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's easier and more fun to blame Albright ;)

18. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but taking in to consideration, cap space, allocation, DP spots, unused roster spots, knowing that this could be a 50+ game season with club torunies, usoc, reg season, playoffs, etc, and our past history of not having enough in the tank and that they knew depth would be an issue. Which makes this "mismanagement" or bad planning seem ..........incomprehensable? nieve? arrogant? stupid? I don't know.
    :confused:

If we hadn't picked up albright, non of this would be a problem.:mad: We'd be 7-0 with 21 points. Ralston and Twellman would not have been injured. It's madning:mad:

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry ... they'll start posting up the excuses soon I'm sure.

20. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im sure rkupp and doc can take the reigns on that...

21. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Chris 'Albatross' Albright?

I'm down with that.

Kevin D.

22. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amen

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The only *excuse* is that we sucked.

On the road, you can hang back and absorb pressure and look to counter - it's the home team that needs the win to send their fans home happy. We seem to be doing pretty well at that so far this season.

At home, where you need to go on the attack and open up a defense without exposing your own, we are pretty bad at this point in time.