Worse cover/sampling of all time?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by MLSNHTOWN, Aug 27, 2002.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    My vote goes to the new song out that samples
    Biz Markee's classic hit Just Friends. It makes me ill to hear that wretched wretched song on the radio. But I know that I will hear it again and again. You don't sample magic and you don't cover magic. It can't be recreated.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    My vote goes out to anything Irv Gotti's done. Is there anything worse than sampling Puffy? He's used Puffy's hand me downs on Ashanti's "Foolish", J-Lo's "Ain't It Funny" remix and some other song for Ashanti.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brittney Spears covering the Stones 'Satisfaction'

C'mon .... what the fxck is that all about?

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will To Power's "Baby I Love Your Way / Free Bird" medely or whatever that was.

5. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded. Yech.

6. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    I got it!The worst cover/sampling of all time!!!!Puff Daddy's sampling of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir featuring Jimmy Page for the Godzilla soundtrack.

7. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    I second Megatron's pick. That cover is pure nasty.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I don't partuicularly like the original, but the best aspect, heck the only good aspect, of the original was the delivery. Since you lose that in a cover, you're left with crap.

The Brittney Spears version of Joan Jett's I Love Rock'n'Roll is equally bad to the Satisfaction cover.

The Ministry version of Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay is horrendous, taking all of the easygoing, countryish charm out of the song and replacing it with, well, Ministry.

The Frente version of Bizarre Love Triangle also sucks.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be slagging Frente! off...

I don't know which cheesy late 90's soft-pop cover of a great early 90's song kills me more, Sixpence None The Richer's version of the La's great 'There She Goes', or some forgotten guy's wimped-out version of Nick Cave's spookily awesome 'Straight To You' that came out a couple years ago.

10. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    i thought ashanti's foolish is sampled from NOTORIOUS BIG - one more chance.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yes, a Notorious BIG track that Puffy produced. The chorus on "Foolish" also bites Biggie's "F--ing You Tonight", so it's a double-Puffy rip off.

12. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    sheryl crow - sweet child o mine (bite off GUNS N ROSES)
    puff daddy - i'll be missing you (bite off of that sting and the police song)

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two that immediately spring to mind:

Vanilla Ice ripping off Queen on "Ice Ice Baby"

The current one that irritates me is that R&B singer that has taken the pop music from India totally unaltered and just put a more "urban" beat on top of it. They've left everything intact, the Indian vocals, the music, etc. The original song (I can't think of the name of it) was a huge hit in India on some soundtrack. If anyone can think of the R&B singer's name, let me know.

14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Oh yeah, I also hated Madonna's American Pie. How can anyone remake that song?

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I was ok with the Frente re-do.

Everything puffy rips sucks, including the Matthew Wilder rips off he did w/Ma$e, and the "been around the world" remix, which was equally umitigated sh!te. The current Bryan Adams covers are horrible, and it's the first time in 15 years I wished I was listening to the actual Bryan Adams.

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't know if I'm thinking of the right song but I think the artist's name is Truth Hurts.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks much Skip, that is the one. The song is called "Addictive"

The woman being sampled is either Asha Bhosle

[​IMG]

or

Lata Mangeshkar (who is the world's most recorded human being.)

[​IMG]

They are playback singers, meaning they are old ladies with nice voices that pretty young girls that can't sing lipsync to since they can't hack it. There is no bad feeling about lipsynching in India, they look at it as getting the best of both worlds (that's what my inlaws said anyway.)
    I can't remember which one it is being sampled, but neither of which is the sultry songbird the "Addictive" video would have you imagine.

18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally posted by nicodemus

Asha Bhosle

[​IMG]

Forty-five...

Lata Mangeshkar

[​IMG]

Forty-five....

Jacques Dutronc and the Bolan Boogies
    the Heavy Hitters and the chi chi music

19. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow.

20. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine's on the forty-five.

21. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guns and Roses, Hair of the Dog.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Michael Bolton's cover of Nazareth's "Love Hurts". :)

Actually, he hasn't done one, but the voices are close enough...

23. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Most of the main aggressors have already been named. Sheryl Crow's cover of Sweet Child of Mine, Spears' cover of Satisfaction, and anything by Puff Daddy. One that hasn't been mentioned (and it kills me to call her out because I love her work and would father her children if she wasn't a blatant lesbian) is Natalie Merchant's cover of Bowie's Space Oddity. Horrible. Some songs just shouldn't be touched, and that's one of them.

All that being said, all those covers combined don't even come close to being as bad a travesty as the worst on the list. Madonna took a classic song like American Pie and turned it into a soft, pop lullabye. Putrid Crap is too polite a term, and the fact that people ate it up makes it all the worse. Some songs shouldn't be covered. Especially that poorly.

JMac

24. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Madonna doing "American Pie" It was painful to listen to. I am pretty sure it was for the soundtrack of one of her movies, "The Next Best Thing"

25. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even worse was when he performed it live (I think at the MTV Awards) and Sting sang the chorus, except he sang the new words that Puffy used in his version. Talk about pathetic. I lost any shred of respect I had for Sting on that night.