Worlds best defence.....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by King Rooney, Nov 1, 2004.

1. ENGLAND_RULE

ENGLAND_RULE New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    England has the best defence

2. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I could agree any more, I would.

Revelian.

3. Sneaky Greeky

Sneaky Greeky New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Kozani, Hellas
    why do you list the players like they are household names, they are not talented. :confused: :D

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Right......so that would explain why 4 of 9 other Conmebol teams have conceded fewer goals than Colombia and why it's in second last place in the Conmebol qualifiers.

You do know that the role of a good defence is to STOP goals from being scored on your team, right?

5. under maturana we werent playing with those players nor did we have good strategy it was what you call a crisis it was not the true colombian nt

colombian nt is the only nt in south america to play brazil at home in this wcq without having a goal being scored against them

6. oscar cordoba who is considered inters most loyal player and best defense whos single goal won colombias only copa america isnt a talented player?

mario yepes who played with nantes in a game where 2 defenders were red carded and single handedly stopped the other team from scoring any goals then was picked up by psg for a outrageously scandelous some is not talented?

luis amaranto pera who was considered bocas best defender in the game where they beat a.c. milan in the intercontinental and then was later picked up by atletico madrid for over 10 million dollars and now leads the south america efe cup which is rewarded to the best south american player in spain championiship? your saying a man who single handedly is better than ronaldo, ronaldinho, aimar, walter samuel, and any other south american playing in spain isnt talented?

7. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    England has the best because noone else has deepth like us.....if sol and rio are injured, terry and king are the back ups (unless woodgate is fit). Neville is solid although not amazing, johnson is his back up and is an amazing prospect. Cole and Bridge r two of the worlds best left backs. Other players are upson, southgate, imo phil neville is a joke but the manager rates him. Butt is a great holding midfielder too although he isn't in the 1st 11.

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    I will like to take my chances with the world's best today

in this order, 4 outstanding suramenricans playinf in Euro ligas

AMARANTO PEREA (ATL MADRID)
    WALTER SAMUEL (REAL MADRID)
    IVAN RAMIRO C (INTER)
    ROBERTO CARLOS (REAL MADRID)

9. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Although I've earlier stated that Greece may not have the world's best defense on a player by player basis, I would revise that if the following players were added:

LB Grigoris Georgatos (formerly of Inter), arguably Greece's most talented FB and widely considered their best LB EVER, who was left off the EURO side because of a spat with Otto Rehagel. When in form, Georgatos ranks right up there with the world's best LB's.

RB Christos Patsatzoglou, who was Greece's first choice before an achilles injury sidelined him and thus subsequently gave up his spot to Giourkas Seitaridis. Pre injury, many rated him higher than Seitaridis. In any event. Patsatzoglou was widely considered one of Greece's top talents. He also had the unique ability to play yirtually ANY defensive position (like Maldini).

Therefore, I believe a back four of Seitaridis, Georgatos, Patsatzoglou, and Dellas rates right up there with the world's best.

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    ivan cordoba plays for inter not oscar
    and javier zanetti i believe is considered more loyal to inter by their fans

can i see a link with this information?

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    There is an awful lot of shite in this thread.

England has the best defenders and most depth. Full-stop. The only thing lacking is a consistant keeper, but that will be sorted when Kirkland is fully fit. ...and this is coming from a Scot. :eek:

12. Perea es líder del trofeo EFE
    9/14/2004

El galardón que otorga la agencia noticiosa al mejor jugador latinoamericano de la liga española ya ha comenzado a dar sus primeros resultados. Luis Amaranto Perea ocupa la primera casilla de este escalafón.

El jugador ex Boca Juniors e Independiente Medelín ha acumulado en las dos fechas de la liga 15 puntos, los mismos que Maxi Rodríguez (Espanyol) que fue la gran figura de la fecha dominical en la península luego de marcarle tres goles al Betis.

Otro hombre que está en la pugna por el trofeo es Alvaro Luiz Mayor, zaguero del Real Zaragoza que ha cumplido con muy buenas performances con el actual campeón de la Copa del Rey.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how does everyone rate the england centerbacks in order?

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry, Woodgate, King, Brown, Southgate...

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How could anybody not bring Germany up? Along with England, they have the best defense. Just look at their performance in recent tournaments, although they havent exactly had the best, they never conceded many goals and always looked sharp. If anything, the goals conceded were the goalkeeper's fault alone or some mishaps among old players like Worns or Nowotny. Just look at the players they've got now, they are truly among the best in the world. Phillip Lahm, Ahne Friedrich, Thomas Hinkel, Robert Huth, Moritz Volz, Fahrenohorst, Merzecker, Gorlitz, Rau, and theres always Metzelder and Kehl.

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    technically he was co-lider with maxi rodriguez in september we are currently in november

dont you have anything more recent?

17. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    zambrotta cannavaro nesta panucci
    buffon

does it get any better?

18. hes in 1st place with 3 points ahead of the person in second place and hes only played 9 games while everyone else has played 10

19. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Best defense?

Paraguay, by far. It's not only the skills, but also the attitude of the Paraguayan squad that makes them so effective at defending.

20. paragauy does not have a better defense then colombia

21. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I think Portugal's defense can't be overlooked.
    RB: Miguel (Top teams are clammering to sign this guy)
    RB: Paulo Ferreira (Considered EPL's best RB? Good candidate)
    CB: Carvalho (World Player of the Year - Candidate)
    CB: Andrade (Considered one of the best CB's in Spain)
    CB: Caneira (Regular starter for Valencia)
    CB: Meira (Regular starter for Stuttgart)
    CB: Beto (A capable option)
    CB: Couto (Veteran who still has some quality)
    CB: Rocha (One of Portuguese Leagues' best dmen)
    LB: Nuno Valente (One of Portugal's best Dmen at Euro2004)

Probably a backfour of:
    Miguel Carvalho Andrade N. Valente (P. Ferreira)

Not bad!

I still think England has the most quality defenders...and Brazil for what it's worth have strength in numbers.

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Ummm.......you mean conceding two goals to the Czech B team after conceding 5 to Romania?

Aren't they part of the defense?

Not a single one of these is world class. That you include Moritz Volz shows how desperate Germany is for defenders (I wouldn't say Robben ate him alive, but I'm sure that Volz spent the rest of that day naked in the fetal position chanting "Robben.......Robben........) And Huth, the rising star of Germany's defense is currently 4th string at Chelsea.

23. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yes, you're right, nobody is great apart from Lahm, who does have the potential to be world class (but isn't quite yet). Still it's the team that matters and that's always worked for Germany in the past. Which, or maybe this is just my personal taste, is far more satisfying. I would hate to support England, Spain, or Holland, where the whole tends to be smaller than the sum of the parts.

Where are you from, are you Russian?