World Player of the Year short list, who gets your vote?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dr. Boots, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well they gave the short list today for the FIFA WPY award to be announced next month who's your pick of the three?

1. Thierry Henry

2. Ronaldinho

3. Andrei Shevchenko

that's a real hard call for me between Ronnie and Sheva, but on current form I may have to give the slight edge to Sheva he has been dragging Milan through everything and just grabbing games by the scruff of their neck and winning them on his own as of late.

I know Ronnie did that the second half of last term with Barca and he just shines at almost every chance he gets but I feel like he needs to be the decisive factor in Barca winning something big this year to be the WPY and on current form(Ronnie and Barca) I think the next go around for the award in 2005 will be Ronnies for the taking

2. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    To my mind, in reality, the struggle is between Sheva and Henry. I love both players. They represent the attacker of the future -- versatile, quick, good with with the ball at their feet, and capable of truly sublime finishes. Unlike Ronaldinho, they both won a major honor in their respective clubs. I'd give the advantage to Henry as he spearheaded Arsenal's remarkable unbeaten run in 2003-04; it somewhat compensated for the Gunners failure to progress beyond the quarterfinal stage in the UEFA Champions League. I think the magnitude of that feat will only be truly appreciated with the passage of time.

3. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to point out that Milan's performance in Serie A was actually more dominant than Arsenal's performance in the Premiership last year. Going undefeated is nice but it doesn't make you a great team(just ask Inter ;) ).

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Here's my opinon on why Sheva should win.

Henry for me goes missing in games, his form for France has been appaling and at Arsenal he tends to go missing for the big games. Sheva, okay I'll admit he hasn't done it for Ukraine in the past but take a look at his last 3 games. 5 goals in 3 games as the Ukraine head the top of the group by 5 points. He's been outstanding for them.

Ronaldinho, ditto. Didn't even bother to play in the Copa America. However he is skilful but doesn't score as many as Sheva and isn't that integral to his team. At Milan, Sheva is pratically keeping them in the running for another Scudetto.

Ronaldino is more of a flair player imo, no that is a bad thing, but I would like to see a guy with immense work rate and clinical play win it.

For me Henry shouldn't come close. Okay he won the Premiership wihout conceding a goal. But in EUROPE? He has done nothing. Sheva and Ronaldinho have done far more than him. Sheva won a Scudetto, a top scorer award in Italy as well - but can score and look impressive in the CL.

Sheva deserves this, he has dominated the game CONSISTENTLY - unlike Henry who can vanish off the face off the earth for some games.

Davai Sheva!!!!! :D

5. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Ronaldhino should be first. No player has had a greater impact on their teams, national or club, this year. He is responsible for Barcelona's incredible turnaround since the new year. He is an all-around midfielder with great service to his teamates. He probably had some votes taken from him in the prior round as he didn't go, as ganu has pointed out, to the Copa America (where Adriano had a great tournament, which is why Adriano must have a lot of votes from South America, along with the fact that he is the best thing about an indifferent Inter...we don't know, as they don't announce the vote numbers), and it may be enough to prevent him from being given the award this time. This is probably unfair to R, as he didn't "not bother" to show at the Copa, there was a decision there to mainly call the newer developing players who did not play at WC 2002, like Adriano, to rest the more established players for the far more important WCQ's and to test new formations for the national squad of the future. Brazil went and won the Copa with a B team, or at least the B+ team.

Shevchenko's Milan (as shown on Wednesday against a strong Shaktar Donetsk) is still an awesome club without him (Milan to me are the true galacticos given their strength in all positions). I thnk that Shevchenko is a better pure goalscorer on the year overall than Henry, especially considering his national team appearances (Henry was definitely invisible at the Euros and Champions League last season, and spotty at the WCQ's and the CL this season). In terms of contribution to the team, R has the edge.

I think there is a consensus that the proper top three have been chosen here (with Adriano, I would quietly suggest, having been a strong fourth). Given the political aspects of the voting, Henry may be given the award for the wrong reason: he came second in 2003 to Zidane when he should have won. I am very glad that the award isn't unthinkingly given to a Real Madrid "galactico" again, as none of them deserved it over the year.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Ronaldihno

HE FEIGNS, HE JINKS,
    HE RUNS LIKE JAR JAR BINKS!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ronaldinho ;)

Henry should not even be on that list hes ********

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some people act like ronnie was the sole reason for the barca turnaround, id say deco, larsson, eto'o, and van brockhurst helped ;)

9. otoniel

otoniel Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Andriy Shevchenko :D

10. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    WTF!!!!...........No Adriano? Henry over Adriano? C'mon, this award should go to the player who has dominated at all aspects, i.e (League play, CL, Internationally for your country in a year of 2 important tournaments). Only Adriano fits this criteria. Brazil's Copa America was won on the back of Adriano's performance. WTF did Hernia do at Euro 2004? Oh yeah I forgot, he suddenly realized he wasn't in the Premiersuck anymore. Nor did I see anything from him over the crucial 2 legs vs. Chelsea in the CL.

Ronaldinho? Yes he's been great for Barca,, but c'mon they haven't won anything yet. They weren't even 1st in La Liga last year. Ronnie's been lukewarm at best for the Selecao for all his hype. Adriano outshined Ronaldinho on the Selecao this year easily.

Shevchencko, there's nothing bad to say about him whatsoever, except that Adriano starred in a important tournament this year and he didn't. Shevchencko would be better off with the Ballon D'or this year and Adriano the FIFA award. Nevertheless Shevchencko's long overdue for some silverware
    of the personal variety.

1. Shev
    2. Ronnie
    3. Hernia in a distant 3rd.

11. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would think the Barca turnaround being mentioned is more than just this early segment of the '04-'05 season.

The FIFA shortlist should have included Deco.

Hell, that's the winner in my mind.

Domestic, CL, EURO2004.

Henry has choked on some of the biggest stages yet he's lobbied as player of the year? Ridiculous.

As for Ronaldinho, well, it's simple..

2005 FIFA Player of The Year

12. NonStop4

NonStop4 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Adriano just started being one of the best striker. No one really mentioned him or even knew him in the last couple of season. While people knew Henry and continue to rate him very highly. Henry is most complete striker.
    And people don't realise that Henry IS infact 6th All-time scorer in Champions league with around 36 goals. :)

Yes, they didn't win anything but since Ronaldinho arrived at Barca, they have changed from being 11th to 2nd. Other player did help but Ronaldinho played major part. And Ronaldinho's creativity and skills are amazing. :D

To my biased prediction:

1. Henry 2. Ronaldinho 3. Sheva

Probable:

1. Ronaldinho 2. Sheva 3. Henry :(

13. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how people criticize Henry for choking at Euro 2004 and ignore other players, namely Deco. I watched every game Deco played at Euro 2004 and he was awful. He contributed nothing substantial to Portugal's run to the final. In fact, Rui Costa in his limited minutes, performed better than Deco. So if you are gonna disqualify Henry because of his performance in Portugal you must do the same to Deco.

14. rivellino1

rivellino1 New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    New York City
    Who cares about the FIFA World Player of the Year. It is the list for the Ballon d'Or is more important than FIFA's award.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    dont know what the big deal about deco is

sure hes good but hes not that good

personally i reckon xavi has been better since they have both been at barcelona

16. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    These guys all joined in the summer.

The most amazing turnaround in Barcelona history occured from January, 2004 (when Ronnie joined) until the seaon ended at the end of May when Barca moved from drifting on the relegation zone to surprisingly finish second (and an automatic bid to the Champions League) ahead of a Real team that supposedly had the League won in mid-winter. Ronnie scored 15 goals in less than half a season, only 9 less than Ronaldo the leading scorer did over an entire season, and his main job was not scoring goals. That alone is enough to win the player of the year award, much less than what he has done this season for his club or for his country in the WCQ's this year.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he joined in the summer before the season started actually. and ronaldo had as many goals as ronnie in the second half of the season. plus van brockhurst was there, as was edgar davids, cocu, xavi, and puyol isnt a bad player either. ;)

18. Did Sheva make as much impact with Milan as people say in the previous season? his goals of course were critical but how come KAKA was voted ahead of him as the best player in Italy? or wasn't this the case?

19. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Ronaldinho easily.

20. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Now that i think of it a Player called Mark O'Grady scored 40 goals 17 appearances for a senior team in Ireland called Mucklagh fc and this kid is only 18, rumors are that Celtic are going to sign him and i hope they do...

21. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    Definetly NOT Henry. He sucked at Euro 2004 and proved that he is not one of the players, who can make important goals. That's why he probably never will be remembered as a 'real great' unlike for example Ronaldo.

I would give my vote to none of them, but to Deco.

22. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    What he said.

23. lillian

lillian New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    for me this should be the order

1.Andriy Shevchenko
    2.ronaldhino
    3.henry

24. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last Year, the award for best player in Italy went to Francesco Totti. He scored 20 goals and almost led Roma to the title.

I think Kaka won best New Player.

25. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may be right but I don't remember. There is usually an Italian Oscars program that announces thw winners but I don't remember one this year. 2002/03 season Totti and Nedved tied for best player. I would give the 2003/04 award to either Sheva or Totti.