world league ranking formula

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Ilovecolombia redded, Nov 22, 2004.

1. I have devised a new formula to rank world leagues based on current qaulity of the league.

take each team that made it out of the second round in the international club competition in that continent libertadores for south america champions league for europe

each team a country has in the qaurters is worth 2 points
    each team a country has in the semis is worth 3 points
    each team a country has in the final is worth 5
    each team a country has that wins the final is worth 10

do this for that competition in the last 2 years teams added must be different if river and boca make it to the semis one year and make it to the semis the following they still only get 3 points only in the finals will reapearance be counted

lets take colombia for instance we had 2 different team in this years qaurters 1 in this years semi one in this years final and one that won the final

total point this year are 22

last year we had 3 different clubs in the qaurters
    2 different clubs in the semis
    and none in the finals

that gives us 12 points and 36 overall

try it yourselve

and since last years intercontinental was won by south america it gives each country a 2 points boost

2. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Wouldn't work, the Champions League is better.;)

3. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, you have the basic idea but would a coutry with a team that wins say the Concacaf Champions league be better then a country with teams in the quarters of the UEFA champions league? I dont think so

4. if the champions league were better the winning team would have won the intercontinental and also its been almost 6 years since a european team has beaten a south american one in a international tournament outside the intercontinental

other continents can be easily arranged for points can be deducted from there score

5. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    That's not really the point, is it?

6. yes it is the points since latin american teams have a better history at beating european teams and since they hold more world cups they automatically get more points other continents can be determined the same

7. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC

:rolleyes:

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Ha, ha. Good one.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That cup isn't considered important in Europe. It is a friendly, an exhibition match. It's only the South American's who care about it.

That formula is unfair. It doesn't take into account teams that consistantly under-achieve in the Champion's League, like Arsenal.

10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    South America has 22 wins in the Toyoto Cup, Europe 20 - hardly convincing, especially when you consider that on 5 occassions the European Champions declined to take part and the runners-up competed. Instead of Ajax in 71 we has Panathaniakos and in 73 Juventus. 74 A.Madrid instead of Bayern. 77 Borrusia Monchengladbach instead of Liverpool and 79 Malmo instead of Notts Forest. That's 4 teams substantially weaker than the European Champions.
    The results of those 5 were South America 4 wins, Europe 1 so if we take these out of the equation and look at the actual meeting of European and South American champions we have a record of Europe 19 wins South America 18.

11. it is a official cups and since both sides fielded a full team last times it was played it will be considered a cup no matter what the FANS think what fifa says is word and will stay here by law

no matter how it be south america still has an edge and this depends on how currently the team is not how it was in the past and currently south america has the title and nothing else matters

12. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    So if Europe won 10 consecutive times and then a South American team won one then that would be all that mattered? What if the positions were reversed?

Also all records of the Intercontinental Cup that I've seen state that on 5 occasions the European Champions declined to participate. The simple fact remains that when the champions of Europe have met the champions of South America the results are 19 wins for Europe and 18 for South America.

13. yes for current qaulity of teams thats what matters this ranking is based on the last two results and the last two results have had south american winning the last time a south american team loss was olimpo in 2002 and we hadnt loss untill 1997 before that

5 champions decline to go that makes them not god enougth and just plain cowards that still makes the games just if the champions league is as good as you per say then the sub champion should have NO problem beating the team but all they show is continued mediocreness

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    1995 28/11/95 Tokyo
    Ajax 0-0 Grêmio [aet, 4-3 pen]
    1996 26/11/96 Tokyo
    Juventus 1-0 River Plate
    1997 2/12/97 Tokyo
    Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Cruzeiro
    1998 1/12/98 Tokyo
    Real Madrid 2-1 Vasco da Gama
    1999 30/11/99 Tokyo
    Manchester United 1-0 Palmeiras
    2000 28/11/00 Tokyo
    Boca Juniors 2-1 Real Madrid
    2001 27/11/01 Tokyo
    Bayern München 1-0 Boca Juniors
    2002 3/12/02 Tokyo
    Real Madrid 2-0 Olimpia

Ajax were obviuosly afraid to take on Independiente in 1973 after they beat them 4-1 in 1972.

Bayern won in 1976, so they must have been afraid of the opposition the two previous years.

Successful English clubs in the 1970's played approximately 60-70 games per season and so had no time to participate in 1977, 78 and 79. When the fixture became a one off game (and sponsered, and thus more financially viable) in 1980 Notts Forest took part.

I never made the claim that the Champions League was so good that the runners up could beat the South American champions - I simply stated that when the best team in each confederation actually met, Europe holds a marginal advantage (which could become equal this year). What would have happened if the South American runners-up played the European Champions? Who knows? Just as we don't know what would have happened if Ajax, Bayern, Liverpool or Forest had replaced the teams they beat to win the trophy.

15. well yews independiente probably had a better team that year if the champions league is good theyre sub champion should easily beat the champion of the libertadores either way even if the europeans won all those games all that this world league ranking is trying to do is rank current league standings not all time not of the past so anything before the last 2 years is mostly irrelevant and frankly

i dont give a damn

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He's not worth the effort lanman.

17. and enougth talk about it if you want start another thread now well go on with the official unnofficial world league ranking tm.

if anyones whos interested including there country please use the formula and post result and evidence and well start the ranking ive already done colombia i could use people from brazil, argentina and ecaudor and from la liga, serie a, barclays premiere, bundesliga and the french league

18. not worth the effort bah you havent proved why any of so called past problems are relevant in todays international standings if you will please exit the thread and allow for the ranking to be calculated

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You haven't proved why your continued existance is merited.

20. it is merited because i am alive got a problem with that deal with it wanna destroy my existance go ahead and tried because i aint afraid of you punk

21. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Wow, tough guy

22. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    One has to have a tough exterior when they post such utter garbage constantly.

23. one has to be stupider to be stupider than me such as you are

24. Laggard

Laggard New Member

May 23, 2001
    Beeswax Noneofyour
    My dad can beat up your dad!

25. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    Oh come now. Can you honestly stand behind one post you've made on this message board? Is there just one message you can point out with decent grammar and spelling? I would love to see such examples. Quite frankly you make terrible arguments. Your international ranking system would never be worth a damn and when people tell you why, you just get huffy and throw insults.

Not to mention your constant boasting about the Columbia NT is pathetic. I think in your warped little mind you think they are as good, if not better than Brazil + Europe. Have fun in your dream world.