World draft update

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ddw31089, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I just remembered that last year around this time (probably more like March) last years draft began. Does anyone have an update on it? Did it ever finish? I tried doing a search for it but only found the QF thread.

I had quite a bit of fun during the draft and write-up and was wondering if it was gonna happen again or if it is being put on the back burner cause of the delays from last year. Anyone know what's up?

I personally hope it happens again as I think with a few alterations it could be run in a very timely & painless fashion.

Perhaps we could start up a discussion thread like last time to help smooth things out even more and throw out some more ideas.

I personally would like to have some sort of feedback from the games, so we can have an idea how the many hours spent drafting and writing up tactics worked out. At the same time I am conscious of the many hours spent by each judge and how time consuming it would be to go through all the tactics and make a fair decision.

Perhaps there could be more judges and judges could only judge half of the groups so that they have some time to give an analysis of each group. That's just my ponderings and I realize they are probably coming way too early...

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It has traditionally (last 3 years) started in March. Last year's was never finished, it fell apart with the start of the World Cup.

Finding judges of any calibre is almost impossible. Many, many people declined last year.

Myself and Dark Savante started the first draft and have run all 3. I have absolutely no intention of repeating last year's experience. The last time I spoke to DS about this he agreed that he didn't want to do it this year, though he may well have changed his mind.

If anyone does wish to do it this year, let me tell you that it is an entirely thankless task in which all you will receive is vitriol from posters who repeatedly ask questions you have answered on countless occasions and are widely expected to be online 24 hours a day.

Anyone who takes it on will probably wish that he hadn't by the end of it.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    So.............any volunteers? :p

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was pushing for a rebirth of the old one about two months ago. It did not restart. It probably won't restart again. I am not sure whether I will join it if we have one this year.

5. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    let it rest in peace:eek:

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    hmm... so there's no foundation to the crap SirManc and Tesco have been spewing about having "won" the tournament?

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I see you are still upset at losing. That pain will pass with time.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't blame me if it didn't get completed. I did send in my second round results to DS some time ago.

I don't know if I'd want to do it again. It's very tough to judge fairly, as it's almost impossible to be up to date on all players drafted. Plus, it is amazing how different people who are huge fans can have such different ideas about the worth of certain players than I do. It was a bit fun to read some of the write-ups, but after a while it becomes tedious. Especially when we had a real world cup to argue about.

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Of course not. Everyone knows we won.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC