World Cup watch parties?

Discussion in 'Laclede's Army' started by SiberianThunderT, Apr 23, 2011.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Copied from other thread:
    I know most of what's left of LA is closer to Collinsville than Clayton, but I'd sure love to meet up at Barrister's again.
    There's also the pub on S.Lindbergh across from Fitzgerald's.

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check with your friends and pick a place where you know at least some people will show up. And pick a specific game or two. Talk to a manager and tell them your plans, get them on board and suggest they even put up a flyer saying they will have the game on. (if they don't want to commit to the whole shebang, I'd suggest they at least say they will show the Opening Day Germany/Canada game along with the USA games).

How far a drive is Collinsville from Clayton? For the World Cup, people should be willing to drive a little bit to watch the game with other fans.

Sounds like you have a couple places you like. I would choose a place that is normally open at that hour so you're not asking them to open early (unless you know for sure you're bringing a bunch of people with you). Obviously a soccer-friendly place. In Los Angeles, I'm thinking of giving the nod to places that have some normal business around that hour besides soccer-related just to make sure it's not a dead atmosphere.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier, but since we've been bumped to the expansion forum, it isn't always as readily apparent when a new post comes up by looking at WPS forums. Not complaining, just explaining.

I don't mind the drive from Collinsville to Clayton, it's like half an hour at the most. Did it many times and actually drove further for games. But with Rokagrl, we're talking more like an hour and 15 minutes, as she lives more up by central Illinois. Then we have another guy that lived way out in Missouri and another guy that was going to college at Indiana State. I'd love to get them altogether again.

I'll go anywhere in the area as long as something else more important doesn't come up where I can't (although I am not going to be able to get off work on June 28 to see the USWNT opener).

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you guys been getting together to watch the Women's World Cup??

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been updated since May 1st.

5. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, please reply to thread, and copy NashvillePainter, if anything is in the works!

6. NashvillePainter

NashvillePainter New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know there should be a group getting together downtown at Amsterdam Tavern. I'm going to try to make that one if I get out of after-church activities soon enough. Other good places (though I don't know if they'll be showing the game) are Barrister's in Clayton (likely) and Growler's Pub in Sunset Hills (?).

8. NashvillePainter

NashvillePainter New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I'll be the idiot in either a Wambach or Rapinoe jersey wearing the Uncle Sam hat, and with the big USA #1 foam finger...did I mention the Mardi Gras beads? :)