World Cup wallcharts, calendars, prediction games and other cool stuff

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by odea, Apr 22, 2006.

1. wcbrawl

wcbrawl New Member

May 11, 2010
    Re: World Cup Wallcharts, prediction games and other cool stuff

Nice charts! I actually programmed a little web site for me and my friends on predicting the World Cup. Anyone can create their own league and invite their friends to see who is really the best on predicting the outcome of the tournament. It got me thinking, maybe we should set up a own league for Big Soccer and see who is the best on the forum? :D Let me know if you think it's a good idea and I will set up the league and code so that anyone can join it instead of the regular e-mail invite I have coded so far.

Anyways, have a looksie at http://www.worldcupbrawl.com and let me know what you think!

Cheers!

2. VAMOS MEXICO

VAMOS MEXICO New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Set it up & i'm in!;)

3. Obenali

Obenali New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: World Cup Simulator

Thanks Poorvi.

1) The offensive and defensive ratings are based on goals scored and goals allowed per game. A high offensive rating is best while a low defensive rating is best. I got these from ESPN's Soccer Power Index. An explanation of how they are determined can be found here.
    2) When generating the outcome for each game I create the score for each team and determine the result. To create the score for each team, I multiply the team's offensive rating by the opposing team's defensive rating (and by a constant which allows me to keep the average goals per game around 2.55). Using this mean I figure out a probability that the team will score 0 goals, 1 goal, 2 goals, 3 goals etc. up to 10 goals. The probabilty is based on a modified poisson distribution (modified because I multiply the result by the power of 1.5 in the group stage and 2.0 in Stage Two to decrease the variation that can cause some crazy scores). I then generate a random number and determine where it falls along the distribution for the goals scored. In Stage Two game's with extra time, I divide the mean by three for the 30 extra periods. If the game is tied after extra time, penalty kicks are simply 75% probability of a score.

4. Milyc

Milyc Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Not without referee help, they didn't.

5. Obenali

Obenali New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's what I call home field advantage! :D

6. Milyc

Milyc Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

WC 2002 was a joke. And a bad one.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey folks, let's keep the thread on topic, please. If you want to complain about how your team got treated by the refs in World Cup whatever, we do have a thread for that. This is not it.

8. Obenali

Obenali New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I did put up another vesion of the my simulator this morning for Irish fans who were feeling shafted after the controversial loss to France.

http://www.doyledevelopment.com/world_cup_simulator_irish.html

It simply replaces France with Ireland in Group A. According to the simulation, the Irish don't do quite as well as the French, but I've seen an upset or two!

9. nwaleed

nwaleed New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    WC Auto Result Panel

Here is an excel that I have designed which you can update all WC results and it will directly updates the group tables, and next rounds.

It is diffirent from many other similar tools that it is simpler:
    - It does not have Marcros
    - It is light in size (less than 1 MB)
    - One page only, it can be printed too
    - 36 time zones: 32 countries in WC + GMT + CET + 2 more (Saudi and UAE)
    - Formulas are made that it updates so fast wihout delay​

http://www.mediafire.com/?m3myzzhzyuz

[​IMG]

10. mohammediab

mohammediab New Member

May 6, 2008
    World Cup 2010 Excel Sheet

[​IMG]

Welcome back with another new excel sheet after Euro2008 edition which it got the satisfaction of all its users around the world, the new edition is for the big championship, the golden dream for all teams around the world, World Cup 2010 in South Africa, whish it is held for the first time in the black continent from 11 June to 11 July.

We tried as we can to collect the most data of the championship, teams, the previous world cups in one small file with attractive design which makes all users to interact with it, the file is consisted from 7 sheets whish are contained results of group stage, stage 2, prediction sheet, teams, kits, stadiums and data about the previous world cups.

The first sheet is talking about results of group stage, and through it you can control the sheet with many options such like language, sheet is provided with three language, Arabic, English and French, selection of language will change all titles and heads of the work sheet, the other option that you can select your favorite team and it’ll be highlighted by red in the every place in the sheet to can follow it in the sheet, the last option is about the time zone, so you can adjust all matches’ time, there’s a countdown to know how many days, hours and minutes to start first match in the championship.

All what you should do in the sheet, just enter results of each team, automatically the group table will be rearranged based on the new results, the ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:

a) Greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
    b) Goal difference in all group matches;
    c) Greatest number of goals scored in all group matches

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:

d) Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
    e) Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
    f) Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
    g) Drawing of lots by the FIFA Organizing Committee.

This sheet is designed based on all probabilities which can be happened, but we put another option and as final option in case of the wrong arrangement of the group table or making a drawing of lots, you can make a manual arrangement in the end of all matches of group, you can put from 1 to 4 in the specified cells, but you must enter the four place for each team to work.

In the second sheet, we are moving to stage 2 starting from round of 16, just enter the result round by round, in case of tie games you can just enter the result of the penalty shoots, in the end of the championship, there’s a fantastic surprise in the design for the winner team.

In the third sheet which is the most important sheet in the file, you can play a prediction game with your friends using the sheet, in the previous edition of Euro 2008, it was designed to contain one user’s prediction, but now the file can contain 20 users in one file, all what you should do … enter points system to calculate points for each match and there’re four options which is listed below:

a) Prediction of the exact result of the match
    b) Prediction of the case of the match as win or draw
    c) Prediction of the exact difference in the result, but the match case should be achieved
    d) Prediction of the right score for any team

And the last three options is together equal the first option, in case of not using any option, just put the score as zero value.

Name of each player is written under the player no. and each one put his prediction in his column, and once you enter the results in the first sheet, score of each player will be calculated automatically and the arrangement of the players will be consisted in the ranking table.

The next sheet is showing data for the teams, teams of each group is put in one row, with clarifying no. of played world cups, how many in row and best achievement in the previous world cups.

The next sheet is showing the kits of world cup 2010, we tried to present the new one as we can

The next sheet is showing the stadiums of the championship, and clarifying all data of each stadium, just as its name, its city, capacity, and no. of played matches.

The last sheet is a brief report about the previous world cups but showing the most and important data for each world cup, just as place of playing, period of playing, no. of teams, goals … etc

We tried so much as we can to present this work in the best look more than the last edition and more professional to make it’s more excited and interaction with the championship, whatever mistakes in the design or in the programming of the sheet, it’s shortage of us and nothing is 100% correct.

http://upload.zamalek.tv/4137249097/

join me in this group and share me your comments please

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=121463901213953

11. Obenali

Obenali New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Calendar with All Games in EST

Just posting this up for anybody who wants it...

I had a bit of time on my hands tonight so I made a calendar with all of the games in EST, if you have not put the games on you calendar yet, here it is for you:

http://www.google.com/calendar/embe...nJkajVmb29AZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

I also have it as an ical file if you would like to put it into outlook, just shoot me a pm if you want that.

Enjoy!

13. andyjcmrdn

andyjcmrdn New Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. coney island

coney island New Member

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Coleraine FC
    Follow the link to download my attempt at a world cup spreadsheet.

Click on the country badge to see the team photo and qualification results and on the venue to see a photo of the stadium.

I hope you like it

15. coney island

coney island New Member

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Coleraine FC
    Re: WC Auto Result Panel

You will need to check your formulae as 3rd place game returns same teams as final

16. andyjcmrdn

andyjcmrdn New Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coney, I downloaded your document but when I tried to open it. It said it was encrypted? Maybe you could email it to me at andyjcmrdn@aol.com

Thanks

17. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Your document is password protected. You'll have to send us the password too.

18. SoccerMomof2

SoccerMomof2 Member

Chelsea
    Nigeria
    Feb 23, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Re: World Cup 2010 Excel Sheet

Mohammediab - great spreadsheet!

19. worldcupspreadsheet

worldcupspreadsheet New Member

May 22, 2010
    England
    Club:
    Huddersfield Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

WORLD CUP 2010 SPREADSHEET - FREE DOWNLOAD

Download our World Cup 2010 spreadsheet for free.

Use it before the tournament to predict who will be in the Final, match by match. Then use it during the tournament to keep track of the teams as they progress through the group stages and on to the last 16, Quarters, Semis, and ultimately on the the World Cup 2010 Final.

Group standings are calculated automatically as the scores are entered.

www.worldcupspreadsheet.co.uk

You can follow us on Twitter and even register on the site to receive notifications if the spreadsheet is updated for any reason.

C'MON ENGLAND!

20. coney island

coney island New Member

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Coleraine FC
    You don't need the password to enjoy the spreadsheet, I don't have to do anything

21. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I've created an Excel spreadsheet with which you can easily predict the World Cup.

It's an "xlsx" file, for those who can't open those, I also exported it to an "xls" file. That should work just as well, but I can't verify it for every version of Excel or whatever office software you're using.

Here's the xlsx file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wzdtuzjynz5

And here the xls file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2yowywvlngj

I've worked long and hard on the formulas and it should work just fine.
    The way the group standings are determined is:
    Points>Head2Head>Goal Difference>Goals Scored
    If however two (or more) teams still come out identically, I've used a not so random way to discriminate between them, i.e. a pre-determined list.

Anyway, I hope you have fun with it. If against all odds you still find a mistake, please tell me and I'll try to work on it. ;)

22. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^^
    Amazing work. Must have taken you lots of time and efforts to come up with this. I am unable to enter scores in the section that says results on the 'WC2010' sheet of your excel. The only entry that I can make is against Mexico is the Mexico vs Uruguay group game, where the cursor is at originally. I can't move it to any other square. :(

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Very strange...unfortunately I can only test it on my computer where it works just fine...What kind of software are you using? Which file did you download?

I tried to tamper a bit with it, maybe this xlsx file will work...
    http://www.mediafire.com/?rgdmk14onj3

Edit: You're only supposed to be able to enter scores in the "WC2010" sheet...The protection is very useful in order to
    a) not mess up the sheet
    b) simplify entering the scores
    But, if it still doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you the password

24. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was using the WC2010 sheet. It just didn't let me go to any other cell.
    The tampered sheet works fine for me. Thanks a ton. :)

25. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't display right in Open Office, but I don't have any problem unprotecting the cells without a password. Thanks Coney. It's a nice look with all the team logos.