World Cup vs. Qualifying

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Tamalak, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Tamalak

Tamalak New Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Westland, MI
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the World Cup Finals, but I truly think the qualifying process is far more dramatic and exciting to watch - except for the Australia/Somoa 32-0 games, but if you like goals...

Seriously, I am looking forward our own CONCACAF qualifiers. The new format should be interesting. I know a U.S./St. Lucia/Guyana group has the potential to be a bore, but waiting to find out who makes the final 12 will be fun. The semi's are always enjoyable - remember the Costa Rica/Guatemala semi-final playoff?

Then, the final round is always a blast.

I know this is CONCACAF oriented, but I enjoy the other Confederations too. Qualifying is when the World Cup TRULY begins - every nation on earth is involved. I love the World Cup Finals, but qualifying is just a notch above.

2. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    For the most part I agree, qualifying is extremely exciting as for many nations this IS the World Cup for them. I love it in the fact that so many matches over the entire world are being played all the time and it lasts for so long.

However the Finals are different in the sense that this is what all that fighting in the qualifying round was for and I just see the Finals as an extension to the qualifying round.

But qualifying really is the beginning of the World Cup and I just wish more people followed it.