World Cup viewing options for cord-cutters?

Dieses Thema im Forum 'World Cup 2014: General' wurde von QuietType gestartet, 24 Mai 2014.

1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

6 Juni 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For cord-cutters, what are options to watch the World Cup? (specifically in the U.S.) For people without a satellite or cable package/subscription to ESPN, what can we do?

I'm willing to pay a big fee for a stand-alone World Cup package. Is this offered anywhere?

Obviously, going to a bar to watch games is an option, but that's not practical for every single game. Also, I'm well aware of illegal streaming sites I can access on my computer. But I want a quality, reliable feed I can watch on my TV.

I have a Roku box. I have friends who have AppleTV. I know there are lots more of us out there. What are people doing?

2. Spirois

Spirois Member

18 April 2014
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    From the ESPN Press Release

The World Cup matches (All 64 matches will be streamed online) are accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on iOS and Android smartphone and tablets apps, and streamed on televisions through Xbox (for Xbox Live Gold members), Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire TV.

You should be good to go with your Roku then :)

3. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    14 Mai 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    But won't these be only for ESPN subscribers? After all, ESPN/ABC do have the exclusive rights.
    I have installed WatchESPN on my tablet, but they did ask for the registration login from my satellite provider, proving that I'm a subscriber to a package that includes ESPN.

Unless they're doing some sort of pay-per-view or separate paying package. Are they?

4. bennyf118

bennyf118 Member

5 Juni 2002
    MD
    Depending on your internet provider, I believe that you should still be able to watch all games on espn3.com that are designated as ESPN3 (which should be all of them, as I understand it). The quality is decent. It is much better than your typical illegal stream, but obviously worse than HD, and probably similar to or slightly worse than standard definition. It'll be on your computer, but chances are you can buy a cable to connect to your TV. I've never done that, so I can't speak to how good it looks on a big screen.

I heard that Univision is also streaming all the group stage matches online for free, though I haven't looked into that yet.

If there is a better TV solution than getting cable, I'd love to hear it.

5. SirJamesBond

SirJamesBond Member

23 Januar 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    matches that are on ESPN/ESPN 2 are usually not available on watchESPN if you arent a subscriber, although with recent US friendlies they have had a tactical cam that is better IMO than the regular feed that you could watch instead

if they provide that for every match of the world cup that would be amazing

6. FCDeportivoRealUnited

9 Juni 2014
    ESPN3 has tactical cam for all the games. Only the primary feed is cable subscribers only. Single wide angle camera, no announcers and no replay. Most of the friendlies had it so you can look at the replays. Also it looks like they might have some games in Portuguese or Korean on ESPN3 that aren't cable only.

7. PwrSurge

PwrSurge New Member

11 Juni 2014
    The best and most reliable option for cord cutters is to install a Ku band (or C-band if your have the space) FTA satellite dish system as lots of channels will have 2014 FIFA World Cup coverage. A complete listing of FTA satellite channels receivable in North America carrying World Cup games can be viewed at http://www.drsat.ca/chanpkgdetails.cfm?id=180

For those of you in the Toronto area, you still have time to get an FTA satellite system professionally installed just in time for the games by calling Dr. Sat at 416-301-8SAT.

8. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    14 Mai 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Would you please explain this in plain language for lay people? I have no idea what a Ku band is, or a C-band, or an FTA system.

9. PwrSurge

PwrSurge New Member

11 Juni 2014
    Free To Air (FTA) Satellite is the reception of unscrambled satellite channels. As these channels are not being provided by a subscription satellite provider such as Dish Network or DirectTV, they are perfectly legal to receive by anyone with the proper system installed.

Ku-Band FTA satellite uses a medium sized dish that looks like:
    [​IMG]

And C-Band FTA satellite uses a larger sized dish (which can also receive Ku-band) that looks like:
    [​IMG]

A Ku-band FTA satellite system is relatively easy to setup and a basic system consists of a satellite dish, LNBF (i.e. "eye" at the end of the "arm"), RG6 coaxial cable of sufficient length to connect from the LNBF to your FTA satellite receiver indoors and the FTA receiver itself. A complete self-install Ku-band system is relatively inexpensive and ranges from $200 to $300.

FTA satellite features numerous English specialty and International channels along with live sports feeds, especially for International sporting events such as the World Cup.

10. Footballtech

Footballtech New Member

12 Juni 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The next best option is streaming it to your cellphone. There are many apps that will keep you updated on this event....checkout Onefootball...there are more apps listed on the link.. http://viewthetech.com/onefootball-brasil/

11. PwrSurge

PwrSurge New Member

11 Juni 2014
    Good luck finding a quality stream that's not overloaded. For major events like the World Cup, it's best not to rely on Internet streaming.

12. wcmc

wcmc New Member

12 Juni 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's not that bad, really. Surely, don't expect HD quality, but one can find watchable and enjoyable streamings. ;)

13. Leica

Leica Member

13 Februar 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Univision is showing world cup matches free OTA. If univision is not available in your area, download univision deportes app for free group/2nd round match stream.

14. Footinmouth

Footinmouth New Member

12 Juni 2014
    Just watched Croatia Brazil on their app on iOS - live stream worked great for free.

15. Leica

Leica Member

13 Februar 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Cool. I was going to get cable to get ESPN but if you don't sign a contract, they rape you. Then I realized univision has the Spanish lang broadcast rights for WC, and I have Univision in my area. Absolutely flawless HD over the air for free. For me, the only downside is the Spanish commentary because I don't speak it.

16. Leica

Leica Member

13 Februar 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    BTW, if you have good/fast internet connection, change the bit rate from auto to 1200kbps, it'd be crystal clear.

17. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

16 Juni 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I don't watch nearly enough TV to justify having cable, satellite, or anything like that, plain ole over-the-air TV is the way to go. Since the advent of digitalis, I need 2 funky-looking antennae to get a picture that isn't choppy pixel-salad, but hey......
    Since English-language US TV coverage of international sporting events in which Americans will not or cannot win resembles coverage of surfing by a radio station in Mongolia, the overwhelming majority of my Copa Mundial will, once again be provided by Univision. Which is just as well, they have many more hot chicas in bikinis and mini-skirts than Calvinist Middle America allows on their screens. The Mexican announcers are more fun, too.

18. PwrSurge

PwrSurge New Member

11 Juni 2014
    #18 PwrSurge, 13 Juni 2014
    Last edited: 13 Juni 2014
    That's good that you have a local Univision OTA affiliate in your area as not everyone is as fortunate as you. Univision is freely available nationwide however on C-band FTA satellite for those who can't receive it OTA. Lots of other spanish stations airing the World Cup on Ku-band FTA satellite as well if you don't have the space for a C-band dish.

19. cycran

cycran New Member

19 August 2013
    One option that worked well for me was to stream Univision video and ESPNRadio.com commentary. I'm unsure if the radio will be available for all games, but it worked really well if you do want to have English commentary. It looks like the Univision was ahead by a minute, but it was easy to sync since both the Univision and Radio have the ability to pause and go back. I personally am streaming at work and can't watch constantly so I have the sound a few seconds fast so I can click back to the video to catch something if I wasn't watching at the time. Also, like others, I had good quality with the Univision stream.

Leica gefällt dies.
  20. Haole

Haole Member

14 Februar 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Haole, 14 Juni 2014
    Last edited: 14 Juni 2014
    ESPN3 showing all the matches on replay.

The match, tactical cam, fan cam - it's all there.

Plus, they're going live with all of today's matches.

Keep checking ESPN3 - they change things up w/o notice. What you think might be replay only will out of the blue show up one morning on the live feed.

USA!

21. Leica

Leica Member

13 Februar 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    AFAIK, espn3 requires subscription to cable/dish.

22. Haole

Haole Member

14 Februar 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use AT&T DSL service. I guess that's a 'subscription'? It's the basic phone package around here.

23. Leica

Leica Member

13 Februar 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, only certain providers have agreement with ESPN, like Verizon FiOS, Comcast, SBC etc.

24. Carson484

Carson484 New Member

15 Juni 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    The tactical cams on ESPN3 for free are kinda of fun to watch the game on. really makes you pay attention to the game

Die Seite empfehlen