World Cup Travel- Salvador

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by byucougars, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Aquarela

Aquarela Member

May 21, 2014
    Lauro de Freitas, BA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A heads up for anyone coming to Salvador - it's pouring rain today, and more expected the rest of the week. Pack the raincoat and galoshes.

2. Jallare123

Jallare123 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    USA
    @Siempreconlamecha - Let's get together for COL vs GRE in Salvador. I will send you a PM. Also, there will be a pre-game party.

3. jfk21

jfk21 New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @ aquarela & lucas

you are right, it a new product which is to be launched i'm just told .. its just the thing i am looking for to be honest and thus keen on getting info on it. also, yes, no info on it so far on the website .. i'm told it has appeared as an advert in SP on 4th of june ..
    pls send updates if you hear of it. thanks

4. jfk21

jfk21 New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what is the best chip to buy in Salvador for data use?

i enter brazil from miami in salvador but leave 3 days to be in rio for a long amount of time ..
    i would need to get a chip when in salvador but i suppose if i am going to be using that chip most of the time in rio, calls made and recd i woud be on roaming (making it expensive), though i am aware for data it doesnt matter.
    any solution to this?

thanks

5. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a link to the Salvador World Cup transport plan? i can't seem to find it. It had info on the buses running from various points. Thanks

6. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    #806 lucasc, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    AFAIK best coverage in Salvador are Vivo and Oi. I heard somewhere Claro is also good now, but I can't confirm. TIM is worse in Salvador than usual.

EDIT: According to my friends, Vivo is the best and Oi is not bad.

You could buy a regular SIM card for 10 reais in Salvador and then buy a visitors package when you arrive in Rio, if you gonna spend more time there.

7. Ahearnrm

Ahearnrm New Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Any good bars in pelourihno to watch the games?

8. Aquarela

Aquarela Member

May 21, 2014
    Lauro de Freitas, BA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Nokia phone in Salvador with Vivo. But when I tried to download the Whatsapp app from their website, it said Vivo was one of the providers they didn't accept. Any idea how to get around this? If anyone's intending to use whatsapp, maybe not Vivo?

9. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Is that a new phone? Is it Asha or Windows Phone? I know Vivo used to block whatsapp circa 2012, but for what I know that has stopped for some time now.

10. PDXsoccer

PDXsoccer New Member

May 3, 2014
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Thanks Lucas and Victorius.

11. Aquarela

Aquarela Member

May 21, 2014
    Lauro de Freitas, BA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was posted a few days ago, is this it? http://www.copa2014.gov.br/en/sedes/salvador/mobilidade

12. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    If anyone had any doubt left that the World Cup is coming: Neuer and Schweinsteiger wearing the jersey and singing the anthem of EC Bahia.

14. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think there is going to be a large crowd of people doing the walk from pelourinho to the stadium? is there an area to gather for drinks/food before the match and then do the walk?

15. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's my group's plan. We have about 24 in our group for that walk/match.

16. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Yes, and Pelourinho itself would be that area. For example, it's where Dutch fans are going to meet to go all together to the game.

17. caspergu

caspergu New Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Club:
    FC København
    Is there someone in here who has an extra ticket for Germany-Portugal? We need one ticket.

And where is the best place to watch the world cup matches in Salvador (except stadium)?
    Thanks!

18. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If there any of these marches planned for the Round of 16 game, please let me know. Would be dead keen.

19. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're only there for Switzerland-France...sorry, I should have specified. not a march, just a big group of friends and acquaintances.

20. JonBlom

JonBlom New Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Sweden
    About those special bus lines, I also found this.
    http://www.copa.transalvador.salvador.ba.gov.br/index.php/en/special-lines
    Lines S1 to S9 are express lines; that is, they do not stop at any point on the route;

There's also a map for how to get from end point to arena entrances. (link on that page)

I guess the main question is how long before the game you should start your travel and what to do around the stadium if you get there early.

Any suggestions?

21. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I'd say two hours before should be beyond enough, unless you hear something about unusually heavy traffic. However, lines to get these buses should be big, so be careful.

Around the stadium? Maybe take a stroll around Dique do Tororó... there isn't really much to do around it, not for what I recall at least. There's maybe a restaurant bordering the lake, plus a Habibs fast food? That area is mostly car repairment shops, so don't expect much.

22. JonBlom

JonBlom New Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Hmm, 2 hours you say.

We're there for the round of 16 and the early game starts at 1pm which means it should end before 3pm (if no overtime) and the Salvador game starts at 5pm. So there might be enough time to watch the first game somewhere in Rio Vermelho where we are based and then head for the buses.
    Except maybe everyone else might have the same idea :(

What are other peoples plans to get to the stadium but not miss all the other games that day?

23. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    You could go early to Pelourinho and stay somewhere there until match time, upon when you could take the fan walk to the stadium.

24. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have you answering questions in multiple forums. : ) do you know the route of the fan walk? thanks

25. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States