World Cup Travel- Salvador

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by byucougars, Nov 19, 2013.

1. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    I'm setting up a Salvador thread for all of those who are attending games in Salvador. Post questions about where to stay, what to do, etc. There are several people on BIGSOCCER who have lived in Salvador.

Furnaccio repped this.
  2. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    This is a repost from the World Cup Travel to Brazil thread.

Hi everyone! I am very familiar with Salvador as I lived there for two years. I am American. If you have any further questions feel free to shoot me a message.

I'll be honest. Coming from America or Europe, etc. Brazil is a dangerous place. Salvador is probably above average on the danger scale, BUT YOU WILL BE JUST FINE. Just stay out of the favelas and keep to the touristy areas and you will be fine. Rio Vermelho is a WONDERFUL place and is Bohemian. You will find the Largo da Marquita a great place for a bar. FIFA will be showing the games on a large screen in Jardim da Alah which is just a little bit up the coast from Rio Vermelho. You'd have to catch a bus or a taxi to get there. I would use taxis wherever you go instead of busses.

As far as beaches go...you want to go north to get the best beaches. The best two beaches in the city are Stella Mares and Praia do Flamengo. The Barra beach is small and not that great in my opinion. All of the other city beaches are dirty and full of locals. Go even farther than Stella Mares and Flamengo and you hit even better beaches. Jaua, Praia do Forte, Sauipe, etc are all excellent.

Also, I wrote the following for a few others and I'll repost it for those going to Salvador. Like I said, send me a message if you want more specific info.

1. There are some great excursions from Salvador. Salvador is a peninsula. Going farther up the coast there are some great beach areas. Don't go to any of the beaches in Salvador. They are mostly dirty and not the greatest. The closest beaches to go that are okay are Stella Maris and Praia do Flamengo. The farther you go north along the coast the more pristine it gets. Praia do Forte is awesome.http://goo.gl/hPbQ1U Jaua or Arembepe are cool too. There are busses leaving from the "Rodioviaria" (bus station) that go there. You could also go to Morro de Sao Paulo which is beautiful area. No cars are allowed at this place. It's an island south of Salvador so you have to take a four hour boat to get there. Chapada is also a beautiful area in the interior part of Bahia.http://goo.gl/iFpd3D there are lots of waterfalls and climbing to do. You'll have to take a bus there. That bus also leaves from the rodioviaria.

2. The must dos. You can google all of these if you'd like. Pelourinho is the main attraction. It's large and you can easily spend half a day just wandering around this beautiful area.http://goo.gl/ZBCxVUThere is a REALLY cool church here called Igreja e Convento Sao Francisco. At the pelourinho you will also find the Elevator Lacerda, Mercado Modelo, Also the Lighthouse at the Barra is beautiful. It's worth it to pay the 5 dollars to go into the museum. All of the Barra is beautiful. You can walk around this area and enjoy it without any concerns. Rio Vermelho is a cool area with a lot of history. You might want to catch this bus to see everything.http://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/the-northeast/salvador/activities/small-group-tours/salvador-bus

You should try seeing a "Capoeira" show which is really cool dance/martial arts thing. Also YOU MUST TRY "Acai", and "Acaraje" two foods that are commonly eaten in Salvador. The best places to eat these two can be found in Rio Vermelho.

3. I'll tell you where you should stay instead of where not to stay. Anything in the neighborhoods, Barra, Rio Vermelho, Ondina, Stella Maris, Pelourinho, or Praia do Flamengo are safe. Campo Grande might also be safe, but you'll have to look more into that. I recommend staying in Rio Vermelho.

4. DO NOT be walking around areas at night where you don't see any other tourists. Salvador is a perfectly safe city if you are smart about where you are at. Just stay where the tourists stay...Pelourinho, Rio Vermelho, Barra, Ondina, Campo Grande, Itapua, Iguatemi, Stella Maris, etc. If you want specific about what areas, please ask.

5. I'm not too sure about nightlife. However, Rio Vermelho has a great little night life that is safe. The "Largo da Maraquita" is a nice little place with places to eat as well as bars.http://goo.gl/gYvJ6HRio Vermelho is safe to walk around at night. Fun little area. Lots of great hotels in that area too. The Pelourinho might have some night life, but I'm not sure it is as safe. There are taxis everywhere though so if you had any problems you could get a taxi.

6. Taxi's are readily available. The taxis have two ways of charging on their meters. They either put a "1" or a "2" on the meter in the front of the car (you'll be able to see it). The only time they can charge you "2" is when there are three or more people in the car or after nine PM. Don't let them charge you "2" if there are only two of you in the car and you are driving before 9PM. You can take busses, but they are probably going to be pretty confusing.

7. 5 days is PLENTY to see Salvador. As far as the touristy things you can see Salvador in two days. The other three days can be spent on little excursions or just chilling on the beaches. See answer 1 for ideas.

8. The start of Brazil's winter is in June so you expect warm weather instead of the normal blazing hot. You probably won't be needing a jacket at all, but there might be a night or two where a light jacket would be nice. June is also the month that it tends to rain the most.

prico and thehawk repped this.
  3. Die_Hard_SAMS_ARMY

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    @byucougars - Great idea to start this forum, thanks for the effort.

I'll be in Salvador from July 2-6, staying in Porto Da Barra. Going to game 59 (Quarterfinals) in Salvador.

It'd be fun to meet up with some other international fans and/or locals who are staying in the area that like to go out and party, have a good time watching the games, drink copious amounts of beer, and just kick back and enjoy shit. haha also, exploring Salvador and the culture is definitely gonna be fun. It's gonna be interesting to see the mix of cultures clashing during the World Cup, with people coming together from every corner of the world. Haha, what a wild ride it's gonna be.

Anyone else staying in Salvador for the Cup? Post your details.

4. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I'll be there for one of the two (or both) games: 25 and 59. However, I used to be a local, so there's nothing really interesting about me going there. I can answer questions about the city, at least!

5. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    I forgot to mention that I am going to a few of the matches in Salvador as well. It's going to be a party!!

6. Dan17

Dan17 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Cool thread idea...I'll be in Salvador (Rio Vermelho) from June 26-July 10, with match tickets to 16 and QF. It's cool to have a thread for people who are going to Salvador and those who have lived visited before to help us a bit. Appreciate all the information

7. crw75

crw75 Member

Everton FC
    United States
    Aug 5, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for starting the thread and for the advice. We'll be there June 23-26, staying in Barra. Can't wait.

8. bcred

bcred Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm coming from Canada,meeting a couple of mates from the UK.
    We'll be in Salvador from 29th through the 6th.
    Staying .. at http://www.bahiamar.com.br/ supposedly close to the convention center.

I'm looking for a QF ticket btw,I have a few spares for the groups in Salvador too,get in touch if you wish.

9. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    I've got tickets for matches 3 and 25 in Salvador. Actually, my group will have a lot to sell/trade after the draw. We have 8 for match 3 and 12 for 25. Only need 4 for each.

10. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo

I remember the Barra Mar. It's an alright hotel. The great thing about it is it's location. It is right next to Jardim da Alah. Jardim da Alah is where FIFA will be hosting it's fanzone. I'm assuming there will be large screens, etc with the games. It's also right on the beach.

The bad thing about that area is that it's sort of far from the Barra, Rio Vermelho, and the stadium. But all in all probably a good choice.

bcred repped this.
  11. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    For all of those who are staying for more than four days in Salvador I really recommend at looking at an excursion outside the city. Go to Morro de Sao Paulo, Chapada Diamantina, Sauipe or even Porto Seguro (short airplane ride) or Ilheus (also short plane ride).

You can pretty much see everything you want to see in Salvador in like two days. Also, like I said earlier, the better beaches aren't in the city. You will want to go north of the city to get the best beaches. There is a bus line called the Linha Verde that goes that direction.

12. TRUEAGGIE

TRUEAGGIE Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'm staying in Pelourinho right now and it is a great place to stay. I imagine it may be a zoo during the WC, but that will be normal for a lot of places during the tournament.

13. Mnorris

Mnorris Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ
    We're a group of 8 that will be sharing a place in Barra for the first 3 group matches in Salvador. We'll be there from the 12th through the 21st. We then plan on going to Rio for the two remaining group matches there. Thank you for the discussions and information. Would love to meet up in Salvador.

14. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I saw someone on TripAdvisor talking about a new hostel in Salvador that I never had heard of before: http://fdesignhostel.com/
    It looks way better than anything I've ever seen there and the guy said he snatched rooms for low season prices (around $25), don't know how much of that is true however.

15. brazuca21

brazuca21 Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lucas
    That's me who posted on TA and yes I got a bed in 4 person dorm for 26$ per night...
    Are you saying that this hostel might not exist??

I am in Salvador, June 23rd to 27th, with tickets to game 44...

16. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    haha no, I mean you could be wrong about the price, etc
    Some friends had talked to me about this hostel before, I just never looked it up.

17. brazuca21

brazuca21 Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was a surprise to get this awesome looking hostel at that price.... I was about to book another one in Pelourinho when this popped on booking dot com with 2 beds available...

18. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    One piece of advice is that, if you haven't done it yet, maybe you should contact them directly by e-mail to confirm your booking. Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but this is such a good price it's almost unbelievable. They simply decided to not mark up prices for the WC apparently.

19. Victorius Secret

Oct 30, 2013
    Liverpool, England
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Will check it out, looks great

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    domestic flights within brazil are in the $600 range - any chance these prices will go down? they seemed to be more reasonable a week or two ago...

21. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Can you exemplify? I have the impression that the prices people are talking about are always much higher than the ones I find myself. $600 is definitively not a reasonable price for most routes (unless you're talking round trip).

22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

if you go to BACC travel i looked up a roundtrip flight from GRU to SSA and then FOR to GRU for 6/12 and 6/22
    the price was $600+ i dont know if the link below will work but this is what i found
    http://www.clickandfly.com/searchFlight.aspx?id=100

i did another search on kayak for roundtrip flights between salvador and fortaleza and they were in the $550 range
    http://www.kayak.com/flights/SSA-FOR/2014-06-16/2014-06-21

my roundtrip flight cost me $2450 between
    1. JFK and Salvador and
    2. Fortaleza to JFK

main question is - will prices go down? or is this as good as it gets?

23. bcred

bcred Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I booked my internal flights a good three months ago.
    SP to Rio to Salvadore Back to Sp.

3 flights all in $630.00

I can't answer your question but they sure have gone up!

24. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Hey guys...I checked it out. I'm not sure how you got the hostel for $26. They are pricing me TONS more. You might want to check that out.

25. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    They might go down in January. It may be a good idea to wait and see.
    But a round trip in such a high season, the price is not that far-fetched to be honest. Fortaleza - Salvador has always been a overpriced route.

Also, there are 2 (or 3, depending on how up to it you are) airports serving SP, unless you must fly into the same one (close connections, for example) you should look for prices for all of them. For example, flying from FOR into GRU is $120 more expensive than flying into CGH for the same date you said.