World Cup Travel - Internal Flights

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Pablinsky, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    I have just spend two hours researching internal flights and there is no two ways around it. It will be very expensive. I thought that we would be able to use the Brazil Air Pass promoted at BROL.com but I called and they said that pass will not be available during Worldcup.

I also found this site, which I never heard before. http://worldcuppirates.com/cheap-flights/flights-to-brazil-world-cup-2014/

In that article is mentioned that the Airpasses will be available.

Other than booking using TAM, Azul or Gol... I think we are out luck.

2. damaaster

damaaster Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So Far I have only booked my flight to Salvador, but I will be booking the following this week:
    Salvador to Porto Alegre
    Porto Alegre to Sao Paulo

Unfortunately I dont know what two cities I'll be in after Sao Paulo, so I cant book the last two flights yet, or my flight home.
    The first bit of research I saw looked like internal flights would be about 200.00 each. What prices are you seeing?

3. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    there is also the airline avianca but yes internal flights are definitely my biggest issue too i think i will wait till they announce the new schedule in january but then again what if prices fo up even more :/

4. Paul Ryu

Paul Ryu Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm flying in from Toronto, Canada. And I also was told about AirPass,... but it'll cost an arm and a leg.
    So, I've been searching and searching for multi-destination flights. And because of my tight timelines,... I had no choice to pay $3000,... oh well,... it's better than $5000,...

5. Paul Ryu

Paul Ryu Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh, I'm doing
    Toronto to Cuiaba (via Sao Paulo)
    Cuiaba to Rio (via Brasilia)
    Rio to Brasilia
    Brasilia to Toronto

6. TomásGerardo

TomásGerardo Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Medellín
    Thanks for posting this Paul, if you don't mind what are the times of the internal flights? Any over nighters or all regular hours? I see you paid CAD$3K total - what did you pay for the

Cuiaba/Rio
    and
    Rio/Brasilia flights

if you don't mind me asking. Thanks in advance.

7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    BUDOKAN repped this.
  8. BUDOKAN

BUDOKAN Member

May 31, 2006
    Tokyo
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    wixson7 repped this.
  9. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    wixson7 repped this.
  10. rccc

rccc Member

Dec 11, 2013
    CHINA
    Club:
    Guangzhou Yiyao
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Airpasses can be available?

11. damaaster

damaaster Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am coming from Winnipeg. I booked one way to Salvador (thru Toronto, New York, Rio) for 1300 one way.

I haven't booked my flight home yet because I dont know what city i'll be in yet.

If anyone hears of any deals on internal flights, I will have at least 4 of them, maybe 5. So keep us in the loop!

12. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Guys, for any flights that are under 2 hours, just take an overnight bus.

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I'm following the USA (and hope to God I can get tickets) which means going from DC to Rio to Natal to Manaus to Recife, then a side trip to Fernando de Noronha, and back to Recife and on to Rio then to Sao Paolo and back to DC. I used miles to fly to 4000 miles or so to Brazil but following the US means over 5000 miles of internal flights in Brazil (for a family of four)! If I had purchased flights to and from Brazil it would have been cheaper than what it will cost to fly internally. Glad this only happens once every four years as this is the ultimate budget buster.

Plus, the flight schedules in Brazil are really weird. Lots of flights departing at 1 am, 2 am and even 4 am in the morning, and arrivals in the middle of the night as well. Some flights are 23 hour ordeals with overnight layers, and many are 16 hours or thereabouts. There are very few flights, at least if you're trying to follow the US, where the departure and arrival times are both during daylight hours. If I had the means and ability I'd check out what it costs to charter a plane for a group because you can't fly non-stop to or from Manaus from Recife or Natal.

wixson7 repped this.
  14. Blythe

Blythe Member

Sep 12, 2002
    East Coast
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a TST, here's a list of airfare for each team's group round games (as of 12/10). I pulled the trigger on international airfare this morning, but have only purchased one leg (NAT>MAO) of domestic travel so far.

TAM has a link on their front page regarding flights during the World Cup. It says they'll be changing their current flight network to better suit the games, which may affect tickets that have already been purchased. I think I'm going to wait till January to see what happens with the internal flights and keep my fingers crossed that prices don't rise too much in the meanwhile.

15. Stefan79

Stefan79 Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Are there other people who had also problems with online booking with Gol? I found the website terrible, had a lot of errors while trying to book a flight. Right now they say my payment is pending. Never heard of that before when booking with a creditcard. I hope they are well known in Brazil for there flights and being on time. At least they had a good deal for the Rio-Recife route.

16. Blythe

Blythe Member

Sep 12, 2002
    East Coast
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gol's website kept giving me an SQL error. I came back a few hours later and it had apparently been fixed. The charge is still pending on my credit card as well (from 3 days ago). Their flex fares are supposed to be easy to change, and the price was okay, so I'm hoping it's worth it also!

Stefan79 repped this.
  17. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Gol's international website is notoriously bad. It works a lot better for us.
    I think the problem with pending payments is that they're facing some issues with foreign credit card companies getting transactions through.
    None of the Brazilian airlines is better than the rest regarding punctuality. Sometimes (once every one or two years), a closedown on a major airport for weather reasons causes a ripple effect that makes almost all flights late for a few days, but that is rare. If delays happen during WC, airlines won't make a difference.
    Only real problem with Gol, in my opinion, is that their service feels really cheap compared to the other 3 big ones.

Stefan79 repped this.
  18. Stefan79

Stefan79 Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don`t care that much about the service on board. I was wondering what the fourth big airliner in Brazil is. I know TAM, GOL and Azul.

19. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Avianca.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    cossack repped this.
  22. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc

hmmm... this makes me hesitant to buy my tickets. I was looking at a flight on American from NYC/Miami to Rio and then a connection on TAM to Natal. the tickets would be bought together. But could they change the second flight such that I would miss the connection? then what?

23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    A risk for sure, but that american flight from MIA-GIG lands at 6am. So i doubt there are many TAM flights before 7am on the new schedule, and if so there will be others throughout the morning, i would assume.

I land at 6a and have 1030a on TaM to natal. So who knows how it will shake out.

24. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    could you share reliable sites of companies offering this service?

25. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    The same companies that offer regular times offer these. As you probably heard before, there's no national bus line. The easier way to find buses is on http://www.buscaonibus.com.br/en/ , they cover the most important ones. Since these services are stricktly regulated, unless the company is outright clandestine, it is as reliable as any other.