World Cup Ticketing Part V

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by cutout, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutout

cutout New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A friend and I are trying to decide this week whether we will be able to make it to SA for the Cup.

First, we are wondering if our friend in SA is able to buy tickets on our behalf or whether he can only buy tickets for people from SA. Could he buy us 'guest' tickets?

Also we are wondering if it's feasible to get tickets to the semis or finals at this point. I think I may be an idiot because FIFA's site isn't that clear. I was able to get halfway through the application process to see which games were available, but I keep hearing that they will continue to sell groups of tickets and that they've been having trouble selling tickets, period.

Basically, I'm trying to find out what my options would be in the next 6-7 days, as I don't want to wait much longer for plane tickets to rise. Would it be smarter to just purchase the tickets myself to earlier games that I know are available? Would my friend in SA have a better likelihood of buying semis and finals tickets as an SA resident? Can he buy them for us period?

2. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    You will see plenty of games via official channels if you want to go but expecting to get semi and final tickets at this late stage is a little hopeful.

The only hope you have is folks returning tickets because they were successful via multiple applications.
    I don't see too many sponsor returns for the semi's and finals

3. bad565

bad565 Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An email I received about a month and a half ago said the following:

"1. Official Ticket Confirmations. Official Ticket Confirmations will be issued by 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Ticketing (Pty) Limited for you and each of your nominated guests to confirm the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ match tickets that you have purchased. Your Official Confirmations should arrive by post no later than the end of March 2010. If for any reason you do not receive your Official Confirmations by the beginning of April 2010, please contact enquiries@2010FWCTC.com. The Official Ticket Confirmations may assist you with immigration authorities, if necessary. "

My question is what exactly is the "Official Ticket Confirmation"? I haven't received anything yet.

Thanks much. .....
    I copied this from the other thread. Did anyone get anything in the mail?

4. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    From an Australian forum
    Emailed FIFA ticketing and here's what they said:
    "The FWCTC will start distributing Official Ticket Confirmations by post at the end of April 2010, however, due to the large volume to be distributed it may take a couple of weeks for you to receive your Official Ticket Confirmation. The Certificates for you and for your guests (if applicable)will be delivered to the address registered in your account.
    Please note that all dates are subject to change without prior warning, however, if you have not received your Official Purchase Certificate by the end of May please email pma-supporters@2010fwctc.com where we will investigate further."

Leaving things a bit late :Dalthough I just can't see it mattering in the slightest if you have a summary of ticket purchases and your credit card it up to date

5. danielsilano

danielsilano Member

May 11, 2009
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    I think that it is a fake message. At FIFA web page, they inform that the certificates must arrive by the beginning of April

6. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an April Fools joke

7. echern77

echern77 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Guys,

During the Phase V of ticket sales (beginning April 15), will we be able to purchase tickets only in S. Africa over the counter, or the tickets will still be available via Fifa website as they are now?

8. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Internet and over the counter

9. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    At this stage I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve it,it certainly wasn't posted on April 1,and no one else in the thread on that forum has thought of it that way considering the posts leading up to it by the same poster.
    Time will tell,but anyone thats been involved in this ticketing process over the last 14 months wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if confirmations were arriving after people land in South Africa:D

10. DefTouch85

DefTouch85 New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Hey guys, I am traveling around the world and have left my purchasing credit card at home. Will I need to have it mailed to me when I arrive in SA or should I be able to bring photocopies of the card, my statement etc.?

11. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    You need the actual card to be able to use the ticket kiosk.
    You could update your card details with FIFA to one that your now carrying though,that should get you out of trouble

12. insideleft

insideleft New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree. The range of communication from FIFA has been completely random. We never had an emailed confirmation from the first phase (early 2009) yet received letters within ten days or so of the third phase. We still have green exclamation marks recorded on our FIFA ticket web page (rather than green ticks) for some matches paid for and confirmed by email. The ticket system is uncoordinated. I don't know why FIFA kept repeating the message of an emailed confirmation within a matter of days from the second phase on because they just couldn't do it within the time stated. Do they seriously believe everyone is going to set off for RSA in early June? X is spot on with his comment as people will probably have these confirmations delivered after they leave home.

13. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Latest update from the same poster-CJ -back in Australia.

I'm leaving early too (15th May) so I emailed them and asked them what I should do it I haven't received it by then. They said:

"We are in the process of sending confirmations at the moment, therefore you should receive the official tickets confirmation soon. In case you still don’t have it before the mid of April, please contact us and we will make sure that you receive it before May."

Sounds like they are just working through all the confirmations and are saying end of May to cover themselves in case they don't get them out in time.

14. mbrettfisher

mbrettfisher New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A group of 4 of us have made almost all bookings for the World Cup (flights, most accomodation, etc) and now 1 of us cannot make it due to him being laid off from work. That person is the credit card/ticket holder for several of our tickets. This ridiculous transfer policy is trying to make him put those tickets up for resale with no guarantee of us getting them back. Basically we would be spending a boat load of money and might not get to go to the games we have tickets for. Any ideas? Thanks

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    If he's a friend maybe he can get a duplicate credit card you could take with you to South Africa (with a letter from him authorizing you to pick up the tickets). Once you've picked up the tickets you can destroy the credit card. Depends on how good a friend I suppose.

16. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    my guestimate is that you will need your original card in most cases. Knowing how people in SA at counters often just say they can't help you rather than finding out wether they can help you....

In which way do you plan using your card? I don't own a credit card thankfully, but i assume that in most cases it will literally have to be swiped instead of filling in numbers? Unless its via internet purchasing? Maybe you can get hold an international card of some sort whilst in SA?
    I'd like to know now as well....

17. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't the point of having seperate tickets for locals actually to prevent sales like this? I mean, what would prevent a local from charging you more for what he got it for? I understood this to be illegal...Locals would never be able to afford the regular prices...so if foreigners would buy at SA local rates, it would be bad for business?

anyone?

18. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Without doubt there will be lots of locals selling the Cat 4 tkts at double the price and being happy to have made a profit, and lots of tourists happy to pay the price because they will still be the best value ticket!

19. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    As expected.900,000+ tickets for Phase 5
    This article is from the Cape Times on April 6-by subscription only but here it is-

World Cup tickets set to flood back on to market

By CRAIG MCKUNE

DEMAND for World Cup tickets looks to be flat, with hundreds of thousands of unsold tickets being returned by Fifa's sponsors and World Cup teams' football associations.

This comes on the heels of the SAA announcement that it has terminated an agreement with Fifa's official ticketing agency, Match, which also appears to be struggling to sell high-end World Cup packages.

The upshot for South African fans is that unsold tickets are likely to be sold more cheaply as Category 4 seats in Fifa's final "last-minute sales phase", starting on April 15.

Tickets for certain matches currently marked as sold-out will also come back on to the market.

According to a report in British newspaper the Daily Mirror, Fifa's sponsors have returned 378 000 of their allocated 550 106 tickets, having distributed just 31 percent of them.

The sponsors, which include Adidas, Coca-Cola, Hyundai, Sony, Emirates, Visa and 12 others, had the right to buy the tickets and give them away, either in competitions or to business partners and clients.

In addition, 330 000 of the 570 161 tickets made available specifically to fans of the 32 participating teams have been returned unsold, according to the Mirror. Only 42 percent of their allocation was sold.

Match, to which Fifa allocated 380 000 tickets to bundle into VIP hospitality packages, originally reserved 45 000 seats with SAA. This kept SAA's flight prices as much as three times higher than other airlines on key days during the tournament, but Match was only able to sell 1 000 of these and SAA broke off the deal last week.

According to reporter Andrew Jennings's website Transparency in Sport, Match has only sold 148 000 of its allocation.

Responding to queries, Match spokesman James Byrom said some of the "surplus" tickets were put on sale to the public in February and March. The rest would be offered in the last-minute sales phase.

"The numbers released are higher than those experienced for 2006 (Germany) but similar to those for 2002 (South Korea/Japan)," Byrom said.

He attributed this to South Africa, South Korea and Japan's distance from participating countries and the recent global financial crisis. He said Match Hopitality's ticket sales would remain confidential.

Originally urging fans not to wait until this final sales phase to buy tickets, Fifa said months ago: "Fifa does not expect a significant number of tickets to be available for sale during the last-minute sales phase."

The current first-come, first-served sales phase ends tomorrow. After April 15, fans will be able to buy tickets in the final "walk-in" sales phase, where they can directly buy, as opposed to applying for, tickets at designated centres.

craig.mckune@inl.co.za

Published on the web by Cape Times on April 6, 2010. © Cape Times 2010. All rights reserved. [​IMG]

20. cutout

cutout New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So, should I apply now and they'll tell me on Apr 15th if they're available? Unfortunately waiting til the last minute isn't an option because plane tickets will have skyrocketed by then, no?

21. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Cutout,you can't apply for those tickets yet,they only become available on April 15-in a first in first serve basis

I would book flights to South Africa now and book your internal flights soon after applying.You could be almost certain of getting nearly any game except the Final,Capetown games,England v USA and Brazil v Portugal especially if you're prepared to buy Category 1 which will be in abundance
    Quite a few tickets will be re classified from C1 to C2 and C3

22. cutout

cutout New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Shoot, I would like to get a plane ticket now, but because it's such a far (and expensive trip), I want to be sure to have good tickets to the later games, QF or SF if possible, and with good seats. IE, I would rather spend more on good games and seats, rather than less on less exciting games. And if I can't get tickets for the matches I want, I don't want to be stuck with plane tickets i don't need.

23. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Then wait-most people that are going already have flights,they are just chasing more tickets-especially category 3 and 4.
    If you're prepared to apply for Category 1 then you will more than likely have a opportunity to buy nearly any game
    Normally the sort of tickets that you're after would not be available at this late stage,but you might get lucky

24. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm sure FIFA still has unsold tickets for these games but at the off-chance they ARE sold out already, I will be returning 4 tickets each for the following games with the hope that FIFA can resell them on 4/15 and give me back my money...

Match 9 - Netherlands v Denmark - 14 June, Johannesburg - CAT3

Match 20 - Argentina v Korea Rep - 17 June, Johannesburg - CAT3

Match 29 - Brazil v Ivory Coast - 20 June, Johannesburg - CAT3

25. gouf35

gouf35 Member

May 30, 2006
    London
    Hi All,

I bought tickets via the participating member association website last week and I noticed that FIFA charged me twice!! Has anyone had any similar problem?

Cheers.