World Cup Ticketing Part II

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by Caesar, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    You've misunderstood what was said.

I'm sitting here mulling over whether I really want to pay for 4 category 1 tickets for 7 knockout games, but in reality I'll probably get category 2/3 tickets for some games, hence the amount of money I'll be paying won't be as much as I'm anticipating.

2. Stevie23

Stevie23 New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Wash DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA website now lists 5 of the 6:

"Speaking at a press conference held in Sandton in Johannesburg today , Chairman of the FIFA World Cup Ticketing sub-committee, Horst Schmidt, announced that six FIFA World Cup matches are already oversubscribed, including the opening match and Final at Soccer City in Johannesburg, the group match between Portugal and Brazil in Durban as well the Semi-Final matches in Durban and Cape Town."

3. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The more I read of FIFA having sold 2m tickets I cannot work this out at all. Does anyone have any idea how they got to this gure and I cannot get beyond 1.5m and that is being generous.

Of course there are so many people who have bought tickets that are not going to some matches or ineed now to the tournament at all because of a selection of greedy and manipulative decisions that it is probably more like 1m!

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    A ticket sold is a ticket sold. It means they have the money for it. Yes, a lot of people probably got tickets they didn;t want, but FIFA doesn't care. They sold the ticket so they are happy. Problem might be that officially the match is sold out but only ie. 2/3 full.

5. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I knew would take the bait and come running to their defence. As per usual you have not even vaguely read my post let alone answered it. I am doubting that they have sold 2m tickets.

Up to the end of the second phase they had sold 674,403 tickets. For the 3rd phase there are just under 1m tickets for sale. It does not matter 1.2m applications as it is tickets sold that matter. At a conservative guess bearing in mind 6 games are oversubscribed and as half the tickets for sale were cat. 1 I cannot get more than 850,000 tickets sold. So we are on just over 1.5m. Even if you add in all the association tickets and bearing in mind the poor take up from well supported countries I will again be generous and say this takes us up to 1.7m, but doubt it.

6. RicSanch

RicSanch Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just reviewed my applications...I put CAT3 for most of them...I should have eput CAT1 or CAT2 for them huh? I guess I wont be receiving any of my ticket requests...blah.

7. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't worry you will have plenty of chance to pick what you want from Feb 7th.

8. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Ric Braz: Yeah... right... There are also tickets for sponsors and such. ANd those have also been sold. Hence 2 mln. EOT.

9. usaforthecup

usaforthecup Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I don't understand this email. There are only 6 games that are sold out (and that means there will still be 'from time to time' tickets that become available for these games - returns etc.). That leaves 58 games that will be available on a 'first come first served' basis starting with the next phase. That's a lot. Now it may be that they are mainly category 1 OR it could be that they are category 4 (and therefore not available to non Soth African residents) but that means there are still quite a few left. My guess is they are limited for the really interesting match ups or games that include a popular team - and that the other games that are played in the large stadiums (not very attractive to the neutral spectator) are really hurting. Just taking 1M tickets over 58 mathes (6 are sold) means an average of 17,250 per game available. Now if you think there are 16 games with only 5,000 available (on average for these 16 teams) that makes 22,000 available on average for the remaining games. That is a lot.

10. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Where have you read/heard that CAT3 will probably be unsuccessful? Unless you only applied for the 6 sold out matches then I don't understand why you think you won't be getting any. From my understanding, aside from those 6 matches, basically everyone who applied for tickets (of any category) will most likely get what they applied for...

Although I wish they would hurry up and announce because I'm waiting to book my flight/hotel since that would be pointless on the slight chance I don't get my tickets. Does anyone know - are they going to announce it for sure tomorrow? Or was Feb 1 just the general deadline and it might still be another week or so to find out??

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya