World Cup History Podcast

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by PotomacMD89, Jul 18, 2020.

1. PotomacMD89

PotomacMD89 New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Hello Soccer Fans,

I was thinking about making a podcast that discusses the history of the World Cup. One episode on each world cup from 1930-2018. It would cover the major events, controversial moments, and cool stories from each one. I would love to have a partner on this project. Let me know if you would be interested in doing this.

Thank you.

krayziegunts and manu chao repped this.
  2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you mind sharing what (if anything) you're particularly looking for in said partner? e.g. background in sports journalism, thorough knowledge of world football and the sport's history, particular knowledge to complement your own (esp. areas of the game beyond your expertise)....

3. PotomacMD89

PotomacMD89 New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Good question, I would just say someone that has thorough knowledge on the history of the world cup or at least willing to do some research. I would love to find someone that knows a lot of interesting, but not very well known stories about the world cup. I am very flexible thought! Thanks for asking!

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #4 HomietheClown, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Funny you mention this. I have been wanting to do a similar podcast focusing on the World Cup and National Teams in general.

Let's chat...

5. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6 r0adrunner, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    I know a significant amount about the history of the WC.

I also know about the evolution of int'l football from the early twentieth century (before then it was largely restricted to the British Isles) when the Olympic tournament started right up to the most recent developments such as continental NLs.

Examples:
    The host selection moved from the FIFA Congress to the Executive Committee after the vote in 1964 to send the 1970 edition to Mexico instead of Argentina.

The current age restriction on the men's Olympic tournament was decided in 1988 after the IOC decided in 1981 to allow professional athletes to compete in the summer and winter Games. This was more problematic for FIFA than other int'l sports federations, and after interim arrangements in 1984 and 1988 which were deemed unsatisfactory, FIFA decided in 1988 to turn the Olympics into a men's under 23 world cup from 1992.

7. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another historical anecdote you might find interesting is that after Brazil was allowed to keep the Jules Rimet Cup after its third victory in 1970, Brazil asked FIFA to present it with a new Cup called the Stanley Rous Cup in honour of the then FIFA president. One man objected to that, Stanley Rous, who said he never liked the idea of naming trophies after individuals. This is presumably why another suggestion to call the new trophy the Churchill Cup was not adopted. Instead, it reverted to its original name, the FIFA WC.

jesta repped this.
  8. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We did a similar podcast series in 2018 as part of "These Football Times", and again this year for the European Championship.

Great fun to do, and popular ones to listen to, so go for it!

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    good idea

10. PotomacMD89

PotomacMD89 New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Love it guys, thanks for the encouragement!

11. krayziegunts

krayziegunts Member

Jan 26, 2008
    New York City, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Im down, expand it to National Teams worldwide and I will listen

PotomacMD89 repped this.