World Cup Contest

Discussion in 'Bolivia' started by gringolimon, Dec 4, 2009.

1. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My Fellow Soccer Fanatics:

I'm interested in doing a prediction contest for the upcoming World Cup. It will consist of predicting the scores of the group play matches, which 2 teams from each group will qualify (and in what order) and who will come out of the next round and so on, until the final.

For those of you who do poorly in the group play matches (and even those who don't), you'll have another shot as I'll be doing another prediction contest but it'll start from the Round of 16 (right after the group stage play is over). It will consist of predicting the scores of that round, the next, and so on, until the final.

The way in which I will be assigning points to each correct answer or semi-correct answer (got the winning team correct but not the exact score) will be addressed later but way before the start of the tournament.

Right now I just want to know if there is some interest in this. I'm hopping that this is a world wide event as subscribers from all over the world will participate.

If you are interested, please post a comment on the this thread in order to provide you with updates and please feel free to invite others.

Thank you and good luck to all the people whose countries will be playing come this summer.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm in....

3. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Fantasy WC Futbol. Cools.

Dude, how did you earn a yellow card? :eek:

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Unfortunately he posted this on many different boards which constitutes spam. I'm on the Moderator's board trying to get it reduced or rescinded....

5. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Lame.

I see no financial interest from his post, and Gringo is a regular poster in BIGSOCCER. If anything, this game plan will likely turn light users to heavy users.

If it wasn't for this Bolivian Board Room, I would have stayed retired from BIGSOCCER. Control is good, but Bigsoccer has become too excessive compared to it's hayday.

ANyways, Count me in dude! USA all the way!! LOL! My risk venture stock will be "Chili".

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, the SuperMod's came down on him. We'll see what happens. I'm going with España this tourney....

7. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I appreciate your help on this. Yeah, I meant disrespect. I can see how it's seen as spam but I was trying to get interest on this from subscribers all across the world seeing how this particular contest might have interest across the many different forums and not just one in particular. Oh well, thanks anyway.

I agree.

Thanks for the props.

8. boliviankidd622

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im down
    when do we start putting down our bets..
    .i say when the final squads are set...

9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Spain won't make it. They rarely do well in big tournaments. Yeah I know, the last Euro they hauled arse, but that's only once out of many many many many multiple tries.

I think Brazil is going all the way. Offensively, they seem to be alittle more reserved then in the past, but that's there strategy. They could easily put up a nice offensive. Brazil baby. Dark horse is Chile and the big dissappointment will be ENGLAND.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Anyone can make it, what's past is past. Spain is playing as good as anyone. And everyone that's sleeping on Argentina has a rude awakening coming. Just because they didn't qualify well doesn't mean they don't have the firepower to go a long way in this tournament.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea lame. WTF They banned him til next year!

Thats unfair, why did they ban him? Cause they thought he was a spamming bot or something??

And yes, i predict argentina to win it.

Why?? Cause in the past the times they've had trouble even qualifying they've won or came close. Like in 90' and 86'.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm in! Looking forward to the contest.

13. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Let's play.

14. boliviankidd622

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how is this working exactly

15. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Alright, here is how it's gonna work.

• Group Stage - 1 point per correct pick
    • Group Stage Bonus - 1 point per pick if team is in correct slot
    • Round of 16 - 2 points per correct pick
    • Round of 16 Bonus - 2 points per pick if team is in correct slot
    • Quarterfinals - 4 points per correct pick
    • Quarterfinals Bonus - 4 points per pick if team is in correct slot
    • Semifinals - 8 points per correct pick
    • Semifinals Bonus - 8 points per pick if team is in correct slot
    • Third Place - 8 points per correct pick
    • Third Place - 8 points per pick if team is in correct slot
    • Finals - 32 points for correct pick
    Now, as far as correctly predicting the score for each match, from the opening game to the final game, here is the breakdown:

• Correctly picking the score - 3 pts
    • Correctly picking both the the winning and losing team - 2 pts
    • Correctly picking the tie between the 2 teams - 2 pts
    Let me know what you guys think; there's plenty of time so I'm up for any suggestions.

16. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I'd like to participate.

17. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like I said Im in.

18. boliviankidd622

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kool should we do it while the WC before each game or all of it before the WC even begins

19. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Before the WC begins since you'll be predicting all the scores in group play as well as who qualifies as 1 and 2 in each group and then predicting all the scores starting from the round 16 to the final. I'm setting up an excel format where you'll be able to enter all your predictions all the way to the finals. I'll send that to you guys some time next year.

20. boliviankidd622

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no offense thats very iffy as trhoughout the tourney there are yellow cards and injuries that affect a team deeply and therefore possibly mess up our choices

we should guess each group game in a set...game 1 game 2 game 3...knockout round is one choice

21. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's the whole point of making predictions. Did you ever play a pool for March Madness or any other type of bracket? You have to make your predictions beforehand no matter what injuries happen in the future.

That being said, as I said before, I'll be doing another prediction contest once the Knockout round does for those who did poorly in the other contest and of course, for those who want to try to get bragging rights for both contests.

Let me know what everyone else thinks.

22. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Fuc it, I'm in.

I'll ask my questions as we continue. Dude, you should make a website organizing this. Fantasy World Cup. Winner gets a free subscription to BIGSOCCER.com

23. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Haha. I wouldn't know how to do that. Besides, I don't want to get red carded again for promoting some time of monetary contest. Chico, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's against bigsoccer policy to have a gambling type of contest, right?

24. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    It's wrong!! Dude, it's a freaking Sin and you will get carded, AGAIN!

Didn't mean to imply gambling. Just came back from a wedding and got fooled into a "Special" Bolivian Alcohol drink that doesn't give head aches. Right.... Complete bs. Stick with ur original format. I'm down baby.

25. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    sign me up!