World Cup Broadcast rights by country?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by AndSomeAreAngels, Jun 30, 2005.

1. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm working on a pretty ambitious project right now and I need to find out who owns the broadcasting rights to the 2006 World Cup, preferably on a country-by-country basis. Does anyone know which companies own these rights?

Thanks a lot. PM me if you're curious about the project.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    BBC in britain has just won the rights to next 3 world cups. They have previously been shared between them and ITV

3. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'm not sure if I understood it right... but here it is

HRT - Hrvatska Radio Televizija - Croatian National Television

4. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    California
  5. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    In the U.S, does anyone know if broadcasts will be restricted to the common ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC networks? I hope they avoid using ESPN Classic and other more obscure outlets... That would force me to get digital cable, which I would prefer to avoid.

Also, I assume the games will be aired live, not "olympic style", yes?

6. BlazingHeader

BlazingHeader New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    West of Europe
    yes! Good news! NOS got the rights in 2010! (beating newly Talpa) Got to stick with the broadcasters you know and like to hear.

7. hellsknight

hellsknight New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Garland, Texas, USA
    What's "Olympic style"?

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tape delay....in the USA...NBC tapes most events of the olympics not on this continent....they then air what they want, when they want.

9. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1998 they showed the matches live in the morning on ESPN/ESPN 2 and then showed a "match of the day" repeat in the afternoon. My guess is they'll do the same thing this time around, though perhaps without the afternoon repeat (I don't remeber it from 2002 - though that could be because I was sleeping off all of those 2am kickoffs).

10. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well it will be easier to show the games in Germany rather than Korea...i remember the USA games going off at 2pm ET or so in France...should be 7 or 8 in Germany right?

either way, it wont be nearly as awful as having to get up at 2am...what a nightmare

11. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's right. The afternoon (Euro) kickoffs were around 10am here and then the evening games were around 2pm.

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Actually, the MLS owns the U.S. English broadcast rights to the World Cup 2006. They have a deal with ABC/ESPN to actually broadcast the games but MLS is responsible for ad sales and sponsorships. Basically, ABC/ESPN is giving them the air-time and avoiding any financial gamble.

There are only two games going on at any one time so all games should be on ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2. Especially since they will be during the day in the U.S.

13. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Rogers Sportsnet has the rights in Canada after outbidding TSN who had broadcast the previous tournaments.

14. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Brazil - TV Globo has exclusive rights. They show games free-to-air and also on their SporTV cable channels. The company almost went bankrupt for buying the 2002 and 2006 rights. Before 2002 there were 3-4 stations showing the world cup in Brazil and an abundant amount of tape-delayed replays everywhere.

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    RTP - Portugal

16. roykemper

roykemper New Member

Jun 4, 2003
  17. siafu

siafu New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Greetings.

OK so in Europe the games all ther games will be broadcast in English on BBC?

What BBC, BBC 1, 2 3 4 what bbc. I will be on a boat during the times of all the games in the medd and in north europe, what decoder will I need to pick the games via what sattelite in Europe.

Please any info and links would be fantastic.

Thank you all for a great site.

18. Spectreman

Spectreman New Member

Feb 2, 2003
    NW America
    Does anyway know if their going to actually show any live games on ABC. I don't have cable or satellite. I was so mad when they woudln't show games last WC honestly who watches infomercials at 2 AM!!!! I might get satellite just for the WC.

Sidenote, how come the the HON-USA game wasn't on Univision or Galavision.

19. Favian

Favian New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Hamburg
    In Germany:

Premiere - All matches (pay TV)
    ARD/ZDF - 48 matches (free tv)
    RTL - 4 matches (free tv)

20. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    in Belgium

vtm (free tv)
    vt4 (free tv)

21. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire
  22. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    For the US, ABC (and ESPN which ABC owns) has the rights for English language broadcasts. Univision has the rights for Spanish language broadcasts.

23. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ABC (free TV) shows live matches involving the US national team as well as selected quarterfinals, semis and of course, the final. All the other matches will be shown on ESPN and ESPN2 so you will need cable or satellite. US TV only tends to do a "tape delay" when a tournament (like the Olympics in Australia or WC2002 in Asia) is in a place where there is a huge time difference. For Germany 2006, all matches will be shown live so therefore, while most of us are at work! Expect a lot of sick days like France 98!