World Cup and Politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by VFish, May 6, 2006.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    WC: United States team bus to show no flag

The 32 official buses were presented Thursday in Frankfurt and the other 31 buses have large national flags of the their teams painted on rear sides.

German and U.S. security officials came to the conclusion to leave the flag off the U.S. team bus, an official of the German organizing committee said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss the topic.

The bus is predominantly blue in color.

1. This is sad.

2. If you're trying to remove a bullseye don't advertise the US bus will be the only one without a flag and painted blue. :rolleyes:

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understandable, but true. Its events like this that make me so damn mad at BushCo.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yep, it's all ChimpyMcHalliburtons' fault. :rolleyes:

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All? No. But its amazing how the US standing abroad has changed since Sep 12, 2001. And no accident.

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Spam from Riot Squad boards:

Um, why would England, Italy and Brazil be thrilled about having a big target on THEIR buses? Or the teams in Germany's group? The whole idea is moronic.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry, I don’t see it that way. If we had never invaded Iraq and Bill Clinton was still Commander in Chief we’d still have to deal with this B.S.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agree.

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Indeed - as everyone knows, Costa Rica is a prime target of international terrorism!

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Like at the 2002 World Cup?

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't think there are too many Muslim terrorists in Japan and Korea.

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Missed the point, entirely.

In 2002, we had the world behind us b4 BushCo squandered it away and exacerbated the notion that we are abusive of our world power.

12. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    What DOES Kim Jong-Il have to do to get anyone's attention?

I wish I could find any trace of that book/article/whatever that claimed back in 1998 Osama tried to kill David Beckham and/or the US team. Maybe I dreamed it or something.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  14. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of cowardice, this could be a sign with showmanship. If you give a subtle hint to terrorists, that event will not heed to threats. All will have a better tournament. Maybe Team USA is one. That iterates. It will not back down from influences. This team has chemistry and I only question defense. However a good offense will make worries go away. This can hold true given circumstances with busses.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Still on the Mint Juleps?

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the US is dealing with "crazy insane fundamentalists" but I would think that terrorists would NOT do anything to disrupt the world's most popular event. They would lose all kinds of support and sympathy at home and abroad.

17. Blackmail

Blackmail New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    There were mass demostrations and U.S. flag burning in South Korea during the 2002 world cup.

18. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not have a single one this year. This is probably due to that $1000 speciality. Cup of gold silver and jewels....

19. Bure9

Bure9 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Clinton is just as bad as Bush. He should be executed for bombing a helpless country like Serbia. If America is so worried about human rights violations than I'd like to see them fight China. F*ckin P*ssies!!!

20. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a sad display that the US flag will not be on the teams bus. I do believe that much of it is due to the current administrations foul up in foreign affairs, Iraq.

However, the big test will come for those of us making the trip over. Let's see if that US badge/flag each of us has is received.

21. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I would disagree. There is simply no good reason for taking this action.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yeah, like 2002. As I recall, security was extremely tight, expensive, and much of it focused on the US team.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    HA. The Republic of Korea's authorities aren't cowered by public opinion. Their riot police will have you walking with a police stick out of your ass for a week. ANd sometimes it would be nice if we had that here in the US. Start with them illegal immigrants who got here illegally and have no rights.

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'm not sure we should be as worried. I am confident that a country like Germany can provide good security. A disadvantage may be that terrorists may find it easier to sneak into Germany, but I still trust the German authorities. Think they lost all the skills from the Gestapo's time? LOL

25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Any links? I was at Korea'02 & did not see, hear or read of any of this. I did see large crowds watching the Korea games on TV. I know that there were some small protests over political issues, which received no media coverage. A couple of thefts & maybe one bar fight was all that I heard about.