World Cup 2019 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 3, 2019.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, keeping sponsors happy is the first step to seeing any meaningful growth.

That said, for an organization like FIFA, that's an inexplicably big step to take. :mad:

Lechus7 repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this has been posted yet, but if so, apologies. FIFA has produced and premiered the 2019 WWC film. (There's a 2018 MWC one as well.) Enjoy, and relive happier times, for as long as FIFA leaves it up for us to watch!

L'orange, Lohmann, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is one of the worst Official World Cup Films I have ever seen.:thumbsdown:
    A tournament with 52 games in just 52 minutes.:mad:
    Even in such a short film you would not think that it is possible to ignore the existence of a game for third place.:eek:
    What they show from the games we can see in this film is also bad. Not showing the foul that resulted in a penalty in the final is only one example.:speechless:

Lechus7 repped this.
  4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    It should've had at least 15 minutes of this

blissett and Lohmann repped this.
  5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I agree, they could definitely done a better job of showing key plays in key games, but in the end there is no good way to do a film on a World Cup unless you are prepared to produce a two-part four-hour film, say. I suppose mention of the third-place winner would have been worthwhile, but nobody really cares about third, to be honest--except for the players and fans of the third-place winner, I suppose! But a pretty decent film overall. I'm glad France hosted the tourney, I'll say that, even with some of the problems the tournament had.

6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This was exciting. I didn`t knew which side she would chose until twenty seconds before the end of the video.:thumbsup:

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The U.S. was certainly lucky on the penalty call that was the deciding goal in the Spain match. Hated that call, as a soccer fan. The U,S. won this tournament on the spot--by getting PK calls and scoring and by Houghton's miss in the semi.

8. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

blissett repped this.
  9. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lucky? Don’t get me started.

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am not sure when the habit started of having random animals "predict" the outcome of tournaments by choosing their food (of course always in an infallible way :rolleyes:): maybe the first one was the octopus at WC 2006 (if I am not wrong with the timeline)? :cautious:

Anyway, when hungry, a tortoise can be surprisingly faster than most would expect! :eek:

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure what exactly you wanted to say with this video, but you made me want to rewatch the film. Maybe I'm going to do this evening! :geek:

12. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    L`orange said: Nobody really cares about third.

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are many nobodys, then, in this forum, beyond Ulysses. :sneaky:

jnielsen and Lohmann repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That made me think of:

OK, so I make some strange associations. Sue me!

15. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Hey! That octopus was one of the greatest football minds that ever lived.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus#2010_FIFA_World_Cup

Anyways. If y'all want to have some illusions shattered, check out the '99 final, replaying online on Monday:

1999 Women's World Cup Final: USA v China - Live!
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/1999-womens-world-cup-final-usa-v-china-live.2109522/

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://www.givemesport.com/1558020...mens-world-cup-on-fifa-20-heres-what-happened

COVID-19 took football, but it can't take FIFA from us - which leaves us here.

If you're reading this I'm assuming that, like me, you are desperately missing football and are looking for something to fill the void.

If that's the case I hope you'll join me in still being bitterly disappointed that FIFA hasn't introduced women's clubs or career mode yet, meaning we're stuck with a select number of international teams only.

In a bid to fill the void and find a slither of joy in this football-less world, I took to FIFA 20 to sim an alternate Women's World Cup and once again let technology decide the fate of the competition (I'm looking at you, VAR).

Let the virtual games begin...

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw