World Cup 2014 Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico, 29 June 18:00 CEST

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Quackmore, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maybe that was a make up call for the missed penalty in the first half. Really weak call IMO. Nice conversion by Huntelaar!

2. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry mexico! Well played though. They're looking good for 2018. Valiant comeback by the Dutch. Sneijder comes through in the clutch. Finally a penalty gets called for the Dutch.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well done to the Dutch. The USA is proud. The Hunter struck again. :geek:

sonicdream repped this.
  5. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    What a finish to the game! The change in formation was key. Hope next time we play its a night

ihatewaiting4years repped this.
  6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well we are through. MOTM for me was Kuyt, just tireless running down every single ball that he could get to. I was just stunned how much better we played when we went down a goal. Everyone just found something extra to draw upon and began to create danger. Great goal from Sneijder who was just quiet until then.

Ruud on ESPN just gave a great analysis of the Robben PK call. He said that every striker in the world will cut inside just like Robben did and look for the call!

7. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Never in doubt

Please send a defibrillator to my house

Make it two

ihatewaiting4years and Orange14 repped this.
  8. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kuyt was magnificent, Robben too.

Major props to the Hunter for converting in a tough situation. 15 minutes into his WC and asked to convert that.

LouisianaViking07/09 and sonicdream repped this.
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also have to give props to Huntelaar who hadn't seen any action at all in the tournament and is asked to take the biggest PK of his life! Really cool under the circumstances.

LouisianaViking07/09 and windycity repped this.
  10. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I am so proud of being a Hunter fan after all the ridicule DRB and everyone has given him here and LVG has not given him a minute.

LVG has to look into the team and switch into a 4-3-3 with Kuyt & Blind/BMI as FB's. This team is way too dependent on Robben. I think Oranje are as dependent on Robben as Brazil on Neymar or Argentina with Messi

11. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Huntelaar also with the nice lay off header to Sneijder on his goal too

12. BAMerican KoolKat

Jun 14, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I picked you guys for the semis, but Mexico's manager gift rapped this game to you, if he keeps pressins and attacking they win easily.

Robben flopped,but should have had a penalty in the first half.

I hate Mexicio, with a passion, but you guys came through in the end, good luck the rest of the way guys.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What a game Kuijt had!!! My nerves are SHOT btw

Any news on deJong injury??

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't heard any word about de Jong's injury. He was in street clothes at the end of the match; hope he's not hurt too badly and can continue in the tournament at some point. the dos Santos goal was an excellent shot and Blind should have been more aware of him before he got the ball. Once he had the ball it was going to be a clean shot on goal with no chance for Cillessen. Defense settled down in the 2nd half except for that one shot and they did enough just as they have all tournament.

We all need to give van Gaal a big shout out. I think if we go back through the archives there are lots of postings with moans and groans about how this was a terrible decision. He's turning out to be a master tactician and handler of the players.

15. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Flopped? Did you watch Football for the 1st time.

I thought this was one of his best games in the WC & helped him pip James R. , Neymar & Messi as the best player in the WC till now. Thought he was brilliant. Should have had 3 PK's and ran the defense ragged

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think we can afford to play Blind in deJong's spot for CR/Greece game, but we definitely need him for the semi's if we make it that far. That should give him approximately 10 days rest

17. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I did not like Blind at all at DM. Thought he was very poor at DM. Would rather play Clasie @ DM than him.

Liked Depay as well and loved Kuyt. Obvious Hunter fan. Liked Wijnaldum and thought he did a fantastic job defensively considering Blind was poor as the main DM. For a Winger turned CAM turned CM Wijnaldum put in a good defensive shift and ventured well forward.

Not impressed with Vlaar. Loved BMI's forward passing and he is very good in possession but he make rash challenges and has to improve defensively. Not comfortable with him in a 2 Man CB system.

Impressed with De Vrij. Never rated him high but he was positive in his defending and in his passes. No major mistakes, did the little things right and maintained composure under a lot of pressure.

Would go with the following against Costa Rica -

Kuyt De Vrij Vlaar BMI/Blind
    De Jong/Clasie/Blind Wijnaldum
    Robben Sneijder Depay
    Hunter/RVP.

18. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So . . . I'm thinking we'd rather play CR than Greece just bc I assume CR will play a little more openly. Maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

19. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    Where was janmaat today? Van persie suffered with the conditions, great sub by van gaal. Love the mentality of the boys!

20. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Depay was sub par today. Lost possession too much.

vagegast and Orange14 repped this.
  21. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    Sorry for the double post but depends on the times of the games i think. Costa rica will probably be ok in the heat and theyve played some solid games. Greece can concede goals (columbia took them apart) and they dont pose too much of an offensive threat

22. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Did not like Blind at DM. Should have pressed Dos Santos better. Every time he is on his weaker foot with the attacker running diagonally and him following he is poor. He played too 1 footed to be a Strong DM. I felt very insecure with him @ DM and thought Wijnaldum put in a hell of a shift at CM with his tracking back considering he is more of a 10.

23. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Benched for Verhaeg. I'd put Janmaat back in

2nd_striker repped this.
  24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Verhaeg did nothing to indicate that he is better than Janmaat and in fact showed that he's poorer than Kuyt at RB.

On the dos Santos goal, I just saw the replay again and won't blame Blind as much as I would Vlaar whose header was really weak and gave it directly to dos Santos.

25. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    The closing down wasnt brilliant should have got into him quicker to prevent the shot. But hey we have only conceded "penalties" and world class goals...not bad for a "poor" defence