World Cup 2014 Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico, 29 June 18:00 CEST

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Quackmore, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Argentina are not very good defensively and Romero is suspect in goal. Belgium have one of the best keepers around but are slow in the back. Messi could carry Argentina on his back but Belgium don't have that luxury. IMO this whole bracket is wide open.

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    UEFA Qualification Zone (top 25):

[​IMG]

WC Group Game Results (all 32):

[​IMG]

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mexico's coach with his bodyguard:

[​IMG]

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #54 DRB300, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Mexican coach is a pretty funny fellow by the way. Here is more on him:

Article

Has done well also.

sonicdream and El Pipiripau repped this.
  5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What do people want to see if Sneijder is subbed out:

1. Wijnaldum replacing him
    2. Depay replacing him
    3. Somebody else (Fer is injured)

6. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hilarious

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

[​IMG]

:laugh: Gold.

sonicdream repped this.
  8. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Schneider 2010 version!

Seriously, don't think Winaljdum has the passing skill or vision we'd want them. Maybe Depay. Is Clasie not a good option? Maybe I'm just thinking of him bc he's a midget too

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Yes Clasie could be an option, but it is never tried. It's as unorthodox as Kuyt as left wing back (or even less so) but hell, why not? Has vision at least and would help out in defense also.

Anyway, talking about nr 10's with vision:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zico is fan of the Dutch NT. Of course he is. :p:inlove:

Bonus clip:

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That 1982 Brazil team was amazing until the cheat Paolo Rossi knocked them out. It was the last time Brazil played beautiful football

11. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looks like Zico won that one!

Re Clasie, yes I was thinking of it because of his vision, and good work rate. If Sneijder still weak against Mexico and assuming we advance, maybe try it against Greece/CR as presumably a bit less risky. Would be a lot to ask of him against Mexico given he has yet to play.

This is where we miss Raffie. Affelay too

12. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Gaal is an astute coach he knows the strengths and weaknesses of his players and he knows how to game plan vs any specific opponent. And when you have a coach that can do that and manage and, as we have seen, mold a team consisting of stars in their prime and young and talented up and comers into a group that believes in their abilities to go out and succeed on the pitch you have a formula for great things to happen for the Netherlands in WC2014!!

GO HOLLAND GO!!

13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

LGRod repped this.
  14. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good point. Argentina is quite similar to Holland in my opinion. Both have very strong attacking players, average midfield, and average/questionable defense. Argentina's defense hasn't looked horrible, but one must take into consideration who they played. Iran and Bosnia had trouble scoring. Bosnia didn't score much until the 3rd game. Against Nigeria Argentina conceded 2 goals. Holland has shut out Chile, given up 2 goals to Australia, and 1 to Spain.

Holland has faced stronger opponents so far. Their round of 16 game comes against a strong Mexican team that scored 3 against Croatia and 1 against Cameroon (they 2 good goals taken away by the referee). Argentina will battle Switzerland in the round of 16. Switzerland has looked good and bad at times. Didn't impress much against Ecuador, got destroyed against France, and beat up Honduras pretty badly. I do expect both Holland and Argentina to meet in the quarter-finals. I think Argentina will get past a Swiss side that lacks the defensive prowess they used to have. I can see that game being a goal fest. Belgium will likely beat the Americans, but who knows with how lucky the US has been. Argentina vs Belgium would be an excellent match. Belgium's midfield would most likely dominate possession, but I think their lack of speed on the flanks would leave them very vulnerable. Belgium has had problems converting scoring opportunities against average to mediocre opponents. They haven't paid for it yet, but against an elite side like Argentina it may finally cost them.

Holland vs Mexico will be a great game. I expect Mexico to put up one hell of a fight. It'll be interesting to see what formation Van Gaal selects. Herrera will likely stick to the 5-3-2 that Mexico has been using. Midfield battle should be about even. The Dutch defense needs to watch Oribe Peralta very closely. He's a very good finisher. Mexico has two good CB's in Rafael Marquez and Hector Moreno. The left side of the Mexican defense is strong with Moreno and LB Layun doing a good job of protecting that area. Layun has good speed. The right side of the Mexican defense is weak. CB Francisco Rodriguez is clumsy and slow. Paul Aguilar isn't anything special. Robben should definitely be played on the left side. I think he can exploit the weaknesses on Mexico's right.

The Dutch has done well so far, but can be erratic at times. Oribe Peralta and Gio Dos Santos will be a handful. I assume Kuyt won't be played at LB again? Will Janmaat and Blind play?

Should be a good game. I can see it going to extra time. I'll go with a 2-1 score for the Netherlands. Might change depending on potential lineup changes or weather. Hopefully no rain is in the forecast. A really good team will be going home on Saturday unfortunately.

CHIDOWEY and futgod repped this.
  15. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    There will be a suprise in the round of 16 i hope its not us. Also heard robben didnt train? Hope we can call on him for the match.

As for wesley he has been poor but our game has been about bypassing midfield. I think he knows whats at stake 2010 wesley will return...i hope

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anyone know what we'll be wearing on sunday?? I like orange shirts/white shorts the best

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Makes a lot of sense. Kuyt can track the Mexican wingback while it frees up Blind. He can built up play from the back, an ability the rest of defense lack. Wijnaldum has the range to track Herrera. This could be a very nice match for Sneijder to shine.

19. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Guessing Blind will get the assignment to contain dos Santos, much like he did for A. Sanchez. Hopefully he can keep his head cool. He got yellow carded for persistent fouling, and another yellow will rule him out for the next match. Key battle is Herrera and Guardado up against Wijnaldum and De Jong. This will be an interesting to watch.. combative midfielders on both sides. Agreed that Sneijder is the man in mission here, see if he can exploit Salcido (who appears to be the leading candidate to replace the suspended Vasquez).

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DRB300 repped this.
  22. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Who is the guy on the right?

23. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ^American Football star

Antario2 repped this.
  24. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  25. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mr Gisele Bundchen aka Tom Brady

ihatewaiting4years and Antario2 repped this.