World Cup 2014 Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico, 29 June 18:00 CEST

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Quackmore, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The hot weather worries me more than the Mexican team does

2. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am very curious to see the referee appointment for this match. At 68 fouls, the Netherlands is leading the tournament (like the last) with an average of 22.6 fouls a game, many of which are persistent fouls. Depending on how lenient the referee is, NL could do a good job of killing Mexico's game.

Sowieso, I don't see Mexico winning this. While I expect them to put up a good fight, I have a good feeling Oranje will effectively break Mexico's attempts to find rhythm and will certainly hit them hard on the break.

Hopefully it will be a good game to watch.

3. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Mirror systems will be interesting. Mexico's opponents in the group stage had trouble with their wing backs but I suppose in this game will cancel each other out. Could be a very narrow game in which the forwards will try to drift out wide.

I guess the main focus is to keep the lines close together as Dos Santos thrives when there is space between the lines and, with a true box to box player like Herrara, Mexico can allow the play to become more stretched and still have balance. Without Strootman we don't have that option. I'm curious if Van Gaal will use Fer or Wijnaldum to track him. De Guzman would be too much of a liability imo.

The suspension of Vazquez could be factor, no idea if the replacement can provide the same amount of cover for their defense.

4. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think this is our biggest concern. I don't think he can be replaced. We're all interested in seeing who will get the start and if there will be a change in the mid.

Not sure how the oranje will go about the game but i would guess you guys will probably have an advantage in possession with both teams creating chances throughout the game, similar to the Brazil match. I think this will be one of the more entertaining matches of the R16, even for the neutrals.

wolfpupz, aztlanaguila831 and LGRod repped this.
  5. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hahahaha no. I guess you haven't seen any of our games in this tournament so far. We are playing a different type of football this time.;)

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #31 DRB300, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    I am sick, so few comments from me after the Chile game and will keep it short for now as well.

I don't have a good feeling for the game vs Mexico. I don't know why. Their defenders are not the fastest but they conceded few. It tells me that they use good organisation and their brain to solve that issue. If they can come up with a plan to keep Brazil on 0 goals they can do the same to Netherlands.

I also remember a friendly vs Mexico in the time Engelaar still played in the NT, I think it was San Marco being the coach. Mexico was much better in their field play than Netherlands. Efficiency won us that game. I think Mexico is a team that is more than the sum of their parts that can shut us down and outplay us.

The game vs Australia and Chile were probably the worst games in ball possession I have ever seen from the Netherlands. With that I already compensate for the fact we play reaction football. This system is 1, but then Ron Vlaar behaving like a Conference League defender kicking the ball into the stance while having time is a big fat number 2. New territory that we are exploring here. Where does it go?

We need to start behaving normal in ball possession. If not, then a team like Mexico can accumulate pressure quickly and find the cracks in our dike.

My other main problem is Cillessen. We know from our past that we can get into penalty's and Cillessen still has to stop his first penalty in his career or something. He is not good enough in that aspect. Apparently with the last penalty he just dismissed information from his keeper coach and dived into the other corner. Does this guy think it is all a joke? That whole mentality does not sit well with me. I do not see him trying to get under the takers skin. Like that Ivory Coast keeper with Samaras. Funny thing with that situation is that he exploited all possibility's, including jumping from his line to the front and then missing the ability to reach it as the ball was not impossible to stop had he directly gone sideways from his line. However he did all things to stop it. Cillessen is an insecure looking bird who conceded already 2 penalty's and never looks close to stopping one even if he dives into the right corner (Spain penalty? don't remember well). This is what gets me angry, knowing Dutch football history.

LGRod repped this.
  7. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Given the heat in Fortaleza I think Van Gaal will set up the team conservatively. Fairly deep as not to give away too much space behind the defense. Maybe in a similar fashion as against Chile by waiting for opportunities to counter or to score from a set piece. Should we lead expect Lens to be brought on to threaten with pace, similar to what Mexico does with Hernandez.

The current team isn't very creative in possession given our limited options in midfield. Should the Netherlands fall behind or want to force a goal, I guess Van Gaal will switch to a 4-3-3 by bringing on Depay for a defender. Both sides have shown remarkable organisational discipline, so it may take a lucky goal for this game to heat up.

8. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Our weaknesses do match your strengths well. Our lack of speed becomes most evident on counters, covering Robben will be harder than neymar, and that's why vasquez's absence is so worry some. If salcido starts I can see strategic hacks being employed to slow him down.

I suspect well have some success passing the ball maybe create some chances. I like our chances on corners but fear the counters that can come from them.

LGRod repped this.
  9. superm

superm Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I

highly doubt salcido plays, I think Pena will end up starting.
    He is faster and physically stronger than salcido.

LGRod repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Fer suffered a hamstring injury in training and is out for the Mexico match and probably longer if we progress.

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Bad news for Fer. Was hoping he can be a sub-impact after his goal the other day. On other news, BMI has a chance to make a comeback.

3 games in the tourney, LvG has made ballsy moves to throw the opponents off. First with the 5-3-2 against Spain, followed with the 5-3-2/4-3-3 switching midway through the match against Australia, and then with Kuyt at LB vs. Chile. I wonder what's in store this time against Mexico staring at elimination. I am speculating he will revert back to a 4-3-3 with Depay starting upfront to complement Robben and RvP. Partly because the long-ball tactic to release the front players won't quite work against the Mexican team that will pack the defensive line. Also because Netherlands can't afford to start slow and chase the game as Mexico is very good in absorbing pressure. And Depay is in a good form/confidence and he can add the attacking fire and quickness necessary to compensate the awfully-quiet Sneijder. I am very excited building up to this game just to find out what surprises Van Gall will have...

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @daxacon1223xyz - stop trolling on this thread please. One more post and I'm going to report you to the Moderator. We really don't care about Ronaldo or Funny football photos here.

13. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm also curious what surprises van Gaal has in store. But I rather doubt he'll start with a 4-3-3 from the outset. After all, look what he said after the Chile game:

http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-Worl...an-gaal-defends-tactics-in-2-0-win-over-chile
    "If I played 4-3-3 against Chile, Robben would have had to run after them. They can't do that for 90 minutes," he said after the game.

The conditions will be by far the most challenging that the team has had to face in Brazil so far, so he now has even more reason to avoid a system that will cost a lot of energy over the 90-120 minutes that the match lasts.

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    If we lose to Mexico there is something stinky going on--we have far too much talent--both Chile and Spain have very good attackers and our D was fine---that was my largest worry--we will score

LvG actually had Moreno at AZ 5 years ago--not that it matters much but since he brought up his tactics at AZ for winning maybe he has a new plan that involves him

now for my gripe

The red card against Italy in the 58th minute--total crap --then nothing for Saurez chomping a guy's shoulder--from here that smells of a fix-

-and for the 7000th time--the game will never become big time in North America until this crap is totally eliminated-

-diving is still looked at as a weapon and probably practiced regularly--something like Samaros needs to be looked at in a replay before they hand the game to Greece---

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Suarez just got suspended this morning for 4 months

17. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Samaras actually got his foot clipped, he probably embellished but not the worst call

18. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Latest weather report for Sunday in Fortaleza shows a decline in humidity when morning turns to noon and later, which is mildly good news I suppose. Temp still expected to be high though, in the mid to upper 20's by 2pm-ish

http://www.wunderground.com

Chance of rain is less than 20%, with slight overcast

19. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #44 CanadaHolland, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Looking at the playoff brackets Netherlands will have to defeat Mexico then play the winner of Costa Rica vs Greece then likely play Argentina or USA to reach the final. I think the Netherlands are the class of their playoff bracket and should advance to the final vs Germany Brazil or France the class of the other playoff bracket teams.

20. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    I agree

the first 2 games both teams--Mexico and probably Costa Rico will be playing defense hoping to steal a goal against us--I can't see them playing attacking football --should not be a problem for us

In reality their first tough game will be Argentina in the semi--that will be the #1 test and then the final is the final exam

France=Germany-Brazil and Chile are all on the other side--this worked out very well

21. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I cant speak for Costa Rica but Mexico will come out to attack, just like they did in the group stage.

Brilliant Dutch and LGRod repped this.
  22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good, we'll be ready for you

OG Junglist, windycity and sonicdream repped this.
  23. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Exciting weekend in the Netherlands....

...first, on Saturday it's the TT Assen (anyone here a fan ??) then the BIG game on Sunday.....can't wait !!!!!

24. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have a hockey (ice) starting at 120 on Sunday. Oh well looks like I'll miss it

25. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'd expect the Belgians or Argentines to make the semis and both have better squads than the Netherlands. I don't really wouldn't want to look beyond the Mexico match for now. That's far from an easy game. I'd be amazed if we could survive the semi's should the team even reach them.

The results in the group stage have been far above expectations but a little realism wont hurt. The team has been hopeless in possession during the pre-tournament friendlies and was barely able to break down Australia in the group stages. We will struggle against any defensively organised side.