World Cup 2014 Player Ratings

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jun 12, 2014.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    In lots of the threads where we discuss the performances of the greats of the past we see references to ratings given by magazines and newspapers.

This thread is for members to provide their own ratings (out of 10) as well as any they see given by various media outlets.

I don't want this thread to turn into a battle ground over Messi, Ronaldo or any other player. If you try and take this thread into that territory, I'll delete it. I'm happy for some discussion over the ratings but I want it kept on topic so we can refer back to this potentially in future.

Feel free to rate all or just some of the matches..

My own key for ratings (use what you please) but just for information (I know different countries have markedly differerent rating systems), it would be great if we could keep something consistent.

1 - Unbelievably awful
    2 - Terrible
    3 - Dire
    4 - Poor
    5 - Weak
    6 - Average/Fair
    7 - Good
    8 - Very good
    9 -Excellent
    10 - Phenomenal

I wouldn't expect to give anything below 4 except in exceptional circumstances. Equally, if someone gets a 10 here I think it would be remarkable.

msioux75 repped this.
  2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I've always found 1 - 10 to be problematic as it introduces too much variance. Some people will never even consider using 1 - 3 and you also have skewed ratings based on where people deem 'average' to be. I personally prefer 1 - 7 as it gives you a midpoint of 4 for the default start of the match average and three steps above/below based on performance. Regardless if you are using 1 - 10 then you need to define what number the default start of the match average should be in order to maintain some level of consistency to make comparisons worthwhile.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yep, I can understand that. 6 is my starting point in this case, as in Football Manager.

4. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Nice idea, Comme

Can we use this thread also for resuming goals, assists and other interesting stats?

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I would use either the main one on the World Cup or feel free to create another one for that. I'd keep this just to ratings etc.

msioux75 repped this.
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #6 JamesBH11, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    First game: Brazil vs Croatia
    Neymar 8, Oscar 7.5 , Olic 7 (worst one: Hulk 5 ) oufff actually the REF scored 4

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I deferred to your rating key:

5 Julio César
    4 Dani Alves
    5 Marcelo
    6 Luiz Gustavo
    6 Thiago Silva
    5 David Luiz
    7 Oscar
    4 Paulinho (5 Hernanes)
    5 Fred
    7 Neymar (6 Ramires)
    4 Hulk (5 Bernard)

2 Pletikosa
    6 Srna
    5 Vrsaljko
    5 Rakitic
    6 Corluka
    6 Lovren
    5 Perisic
    7 Modric
    4 Jelavic (4 Rebic )
    4 Kovacic (5 Brozovic)
    7 Olic

8. Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny Member

Jun 7, 2014
    César [6]; Alves [5] - Luiz [6] - Silva [6.5] - Marcelo [5.5]; Gustavo [6.5] - Paulinho [6] - Oscar [7.5]; Hulk [5] - Neymar [7] - Fred [5]

---

Pletikosa [4.5]; Srna [5.5] - Lovren [5] - Corluka [6] - Vrsaljko [5.5]; Rakitic [5.5] - Modric [6.5] - Kovacic [5.5]; Perisic [6] - Olic [6.5] - Jelavic [6]

9. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    I agree the best for Brazil was Oscar. Then Neymar and then the rest.
    For Croatia Kovacic was the worst and Modric the best for me. Olic started very well but lost strength, even gave away the ball once or twice in silly manner that caused Brazil to bring danger to the Croatian box.
    If I had to rate them I would perhaps do it like this:

Julio Cesar 6
    Dani Alves 5
    David Luiz 6
    Thiago Silva 6
    Marcelo 5
    Luiz Gustavo 6
    Paulinho 5
    Oscar 8
    Neymar 7
    Hulk 5
    Fred 4

Pletikosa 3
    Srna 5
    Vrsaljko 5
    Corluka 5
    Lovren 5
    Rakitic 5
    Perisic 4
    Modric 7
    Jelavic 4
    Kovacic 3
    Olic 6

Yañez repped this.
  10. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I agree with Modric being the best so far.

11. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Neymar: 7 out of 10; very good in the first half, but completely average in the second half, which brings his first half display down to a 7 rating.

Oscar: 7 out of 10; was more consistent than Neymar in that he wasn't completely average in the second half, however he never quite produced the moments of class that Neymar produced in the first half, and his goal should not have been allowed due to the obvious foul (which created the circumstance for Oscar to score in the first place) which everybody but the referee saw.

Referee: 10 out of 10; a phenomenal performance by the referee, provided a delightful assist for Neymar's second goal, then produced another amazing assist for Oscar's only goal, and to top it all off was also very good defensively, when it seemed as though Croatia had scored a goal to draw the game, the referee produced a miracle save that no ordinary player could've produced.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Mine:

Cesar 6, Alves 6, Luiz 7, Silva 6, Marcelo 6, Gustavo 7, Paulinho 5, Hulk 5, Oscar 8, Neymar 8, Fred 4

Pletikosa 5, Srna 6, Corluka 6, Lovren 6, Vrsaljko 7, Modric 8, Rakitic 8, Perisic 6, Kocacic 5, Olic 6, Jelavic 6

13. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Brazil x Croatia

J. César 6.5, Alves 4, Thiago Silva 6, David Luiz 6.5, Marcelo 6, Luiz Gustavo 6.5, Paulinho 5, Oscar 7.5, Hulk 6, Neymar 7, Fred 5

Pletikosa 5, Srna 6, Corluka 6, Lovren 6, Vrsaljko 6, Modric 7, Rakitic 6.5, Perisic 6, Kovacic 6, Olic 6,5, Jelavic 6

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Of the subs, Bernard (7) showed some flashes, Hernanes (6) had a nice run, the rest didn't have a chance to influence it.

15. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In no way trying to suck up to anyone but I'd be fairly close to agreeing with the above. For 25mins I thought Olic was the best player on the pitch. Trouble is I think he did as well and he started trying to be a bit too clever and lost some of his effectiveness.

Oscar just shaded Neymar for me with Luiz standing out in defence but I thought that Perisic was Croatia's best performer overall on the day.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I thought Olic was showing some really nice stuff and then he did that double dragback to Neymar which almost proved extremely costly.

Perisic was an interesting one. Thought he was quite peripheral but when he did get involved he did very well. I know that Michael Cox was impressed with him per twitter as well.

I thought Oscar started really slowly and then was excellent after that. Really good performance.

17. Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny Member

Jun 7, 2014
    I'd disagree with Luiz being the "standout" of that defence. Most of Croatia's play funneled into the wings, often the left one, taking advantage of the attacking nature of the fullbacks. Silva repeatedly had to play out wide to mark the wide player, whereas Gustavo and Luiz would try to mark the players in the box.

Marcelo's own goal truly was a disaster; Luiz and Marcelo were both culpable for that. Absolutely no way should they have allowed Jelavic to get his foot on the ball -- if I recall correctly, he was the only Croat in the box.

Silva had to do more "dirty work" in terms of defending wide in my opinion -- Luiz did as well, just not as often -- and Silva's distribution, especially his long-range passing was very good. They both made important interventions and apart from in the early stages when Silva was beaten near the half-line, he was outstanding.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    3 Casillas
    4 Azpilicueta
    4 Alba
    5 Alonso (6 Pedro)
    4 Piqué
    4 Ramos
    6 Silva (5 Fábregas)
    5 Busquets
    4 Diego Costa (3 Torres)
    5 Xavi
    6 Iniesta

6 Cillessen
    5 Janmaat
    7 Blind
    6 Martins Indi
    6 Vlaar
    6 de Vrij (6 Veltman)
    6 de Guzmán (6 Wijnaldum)
    6 de Jong
    5 Sneijder
    8 van Persie (6 Lens)
    8 Robben

19. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Giovanni dos Santos, Xavi, Robben, Van Persie and Blind!

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Cameroon - Mexico

Cameroon: Itandje 5, Djeugoue 5, Nkoulou 6, Chedjou 5, Assou-Ekotto 7, Song 5, Mbia 6, Enoh 6, Moukandjo 5, Eto'o 6, Choupo-Moting 7

Mexico: Ochoa 6, Aguilar 6, Rodriguez 7, Marquez 7, Moreno 6, Layun 6, Herrera 7, Vazquez 7, Guardado 6, Dos Santos 8, Peralta 7

I watched this one in a pub with some reggae music blaring in the background so would be far from particularly confident about those.

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    #21 comme, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Holland - Spain

Holland: Cillesen 7, Janmaat 6, Vlaar 8, De Vrij 6, Martins Indi 7, Blind 8, De Jong 7, De Guzman 5, Sneijder 7, Robben 9, Van Persie 9

Spain: Casillas 4, Azpilicueta 5, Ramos 4, Pique 4, Alba 5, Busquets 4, Alonso 5, Xavi 5, Silva 5, Iniesta 5, Costa 6

msioux75 repped this.
  22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Australia-Chile

Australia: Ryan 5, Franjic 6, Wilkinson 6, Spiranovic 6, Davidson 7, Jedinak 7, Milligan 6, Leckie 7, Bresciano 6, Oar 5, Cahill 8

Chile: Bravo 6, Isla 7, Medel 6, Jara 6, Mena 6, Aranguiz 6, Diaz 6, Vidal 5, Sanchez 8, Valdivia 7, Vargas 6

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #23 JamesBH11, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    SPain vs Netherland:
    Best: Robben 8.5 (2 wordclass 1 vs 1 a la Ronaldo), Van Persie 8 (worldclass header since Borghetti 2002) , Xavi = Iniesta 7
    Worst: Pique = Cassilas 4 and Ramos 4.5

England vs Italy:
    Best: Pirlo 8.5 (master in MF ), Strurridge 8 , Balotelli 7, Marsichio 7, Wellbeck 7
    Worst: Paletta 4, Cahill = Baines =4.5

========================================

So far only Robben and Pirlo scored the highest (for me) of 8.5
    Others very good are Neymar, Van Persie Sturridge Oscar J Campbel ... = 8

Note: if Robben's performance was a WC SF or Final game: I'd give him 9 or 9.5

leadleader repped this.
  24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #24 PDG1978, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Nice idea comme.

Without feeling able to score everyone in every match (some matches I could perhaps have attempted, some I wasn't quite attentive enough and I haven't seen much at all of Ivory Coast vs Japan or Chile vs Australia) I think I would score these twenty players a possible 7 or 8 (not only these probably even from the games I saw enough of - and some Colombians too most likely including Rodriguez and some from the games I didn't see in full possibly - Honda's goal was really good btw):

At least 8/10 - Robben (possibly 8.5 if giving half marks and depending on the standard decided upon)

Around 7.5/10 (7 or 8 if giving full marks) - Blind, Pirlo, Sterling, Pjanic

At least 7/10 - Oscar, Neymar, Van Persie, Campbell, Pogba

At least 6.5/10 (probably a 7 if giving full marks in most cases) - Modric, Iniesta, Sneijder, Candreva, Marchisio, Verratti, Varane, Benzema, Valbuena, Griezmann.

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    #25 comme, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    England - Italy

England: Hart 5, Johnson 6, Jagielka 7, Cahill 5, Baines 4, Henderson 6, Gerrard 5, Welbeck 7, Sterling 8, Rooney 4, Sturridge 7

Italy: Sirigu 7, Darmian 8, Paletta 5, Barzagli 6, Chiellini 6, Candreva 8, De Rossi 7, Pirlo 8, Verratti 6, Marchisio 6, Balotelli 7

JamesBH11 repped this.