World Cup 2014 Brazil - Asia (pre-WC, live update, post-WC, discussion etc) [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by teammellieIRANfan, Oct 20, 2013.

1. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thought Id create a thread for news and discussion regarding all the AFC World Cup teams, both pertaining to preparations and live update and discussions during the WC.

Starting off with a bit of sour note lol

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/983?cc=5739

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  2. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Worrying times indeed. It really started when Japan (Our number 1 hope) lost all 3 games in the Confed Cup.

3. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I only see Japan progressing past the group stage. The rest will struggle.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Good article. Thanks for posting it.

5. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ill copy-paste my a post, I made in another thread, as it also belongs here.

Iran lacks that profilic player in Karimi, but maybe that is a good thing to some extent. It could better prepare us for the upcoming World Cup relative to past editions.
    In 2006 Branko' game plan revolved around the motto that a strong offence is also a strong defence.
    Which made sense for that team as the defensive line was the most unreliable and porous to date.

Furthermore, the offence was too much centred around and relied upon Karimi and Mahdavikia as they made up the offensive core/engine. Meaning if either one of them (especially Karimi) got injured, that would be a huge blow, not compensable by any player in the squad.
    Which is what unfortunately happened to Karimi prior to WC in Germany. And while physically fit to play, he never did fully recover. And we saw how his performance and attitude hurt the team.

That dynamic does not exist with this team, and it could be beneficial. CQ is seemingly a result-oriented coach who puts emphasis on a strong defence, and with the offence being a more of a cohesive unit and much less centralised to one or two players.
    Come World Cup it will not look pretty. We may play very cautiously and defensive, but potentially be better conditioned to get more favorable results.

That being said, I expect us to do very poorly in the end. Especially considering the non-existent preparations.

6. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Iran's lack of preparation really is ridiculous. What have they been doing? lol

They should book some friendly matches in South America, to understand the conditions they will be playing in the world cup.

7. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We've been too busy cancelling planned training camps and friendlies to have an actual training camp and friendly.
    Iranian federation doesnt seem to take this seriously. They probably prefer the IDEA of proper preparations and talking about it than actually do it. lol

mr cricket repped this.
  8. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Prediction for AFC teams :
    Iran 3 points
    South Korea 1 point [hmmm, or maybe 2]
    Japan 1 point
    Australia 0 points [or maybe 1]
    Jordan (didnt quite make it)
    0 teams getting out of their groups.
    there will have to be some major form reversals to do much better than this.

9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Hmm, any reason you as to why you think Iran will do better than the other three? :p
    (assuming Jordan doesnt make it)
    We're the worst off, as things are going.

But generally I agree with you that none of AFC teams will be progress from the group stages.
    Possibly Japan.

10. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I can't see us not getting at least one win with HMB in charge. That CKH mofo just f*cked shit up for us to make us look bad during qualifiers.

Prediction: Japan R16 (QF depending on who they face), Korea R16 (QF seems unlikely, unless we get a favorable draw), Aussies 1 draw (Possibly go home with one win, depends on group), Iran 1 draw (Absolutely no preparations. Arguably the weakest team ON PAPER)
    I honestly want all Asian teams to do well to show the rest of the world we can play. Hopefully, every AFC team can win at least once.

AKITOD repped this.
  11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Even though Iran is ranked 2nd in the AFC, behind only Japan, and while Iran finished on top of its qualifying group before South Korea, Iran is the only side among the AFC contingent in Brazil that has never advanced from the group stage at the World Cup. World Cup pedigree aside, while there was a time that Iran boasted the most famed players in Asia, in recent years teams like South Korea and Japan have seen a flood of players in top European leagues. And Australia has always boasted a large contingent of players in European leagues as well. Iran, on the other hand, has been forced to try to recruit duel nationals of Iranian decent to boost the ranks of its foreign based players. Otherwise, once Nekounam returned to Iran last year, so did our last legitimate top flight player still regularly playing in Europe. The rest of the players now in Europe are either plying their trade in second or third tier leagues, or in lower divisions, or in the case of those like Askhan Dejageh, aren't really the product of Iranian football even if he is the product of Iranian parents. :)

All that said, and recognizing the ridiculous lack of preparations by Iran so far, I think it is too early to write off any of the Asian teams. In fact, as unexciting as this Iranian team is, I would not be shocked if it ended up doing what much better Iranian sides failed to do: advance to the knock out rounds. On the other hand, I guess in the back of my mind, I also worry that this Iranian team might embarrass Iran in ways that we haven't been embarrassed in the World Cup before.

But good luck to all the Asian teams. I certainly mean it.

12. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    karimi was not really influential in the majority of 2006 WCQ games. but of course, if karimi was in full form in the world cup, things might have been different. we also have to remember that mahdavikia, hashemian, and zandi were not in full form either (just came back from injury). branko was a defensive coach and our offense was due to our individual talents, not his game plan. our world cup 2006 performance was marred by side issues such as the ali daie and ali karimi dispute and that retarded mistake against mexico which disqualified us with immediate effect. unfortunately, we did not display our full potential. it was a wasted world cup. hopefully, this world cup will be better. honestly, i only care about results at this point. i dont care if we play like crap. i just want a win, even if it means 90 minutes of defense and 1 goochanejad counterattack goal. and i know it will take a miracle but i just want to see us advance from group stages for once. it feels as if we are the only team on earth who didnt yet lol.

13. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i dont know which is worse... Irans lack of preparation or australias back to back 6-0 games lol.

14. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were you I would have loved CKH more than your 1996 coach. I am assuming that you still remember your
    6-2 lose against Iran in 1996 :)

Would not CKH have been a hero for you and many Koreans if Korea did not lose to Iran in Ulsan??

15. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Japan and Korea only had a few European based players in 2010. The reason they started sending so many players abroad was their good performance at the WC. That's what we need to do. You do well, you get recognized, you send players abroad, and you become stronger. We just need to start the chain reaction by first of all being at the World Cup and second doing well in it.

16. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah but but most our players are too old for any club to sign a contract, much less a long term one. I think the average age for TM starting line-up is like 30 or something.

However I kinda have some hopes that a player like Ansarifard could shine, if given the chance.

17. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    no because he completely changed our style of football. even if we won 2-0 ppl would still want his ass out cause of his style

18. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I was born in 97', so I don't remember that game.
    And to answer your question, even if CKH won that match, winning against Iran and qualifying to the world cup doesn't make him a hero. There are some people in Korea that have no idea you have to go through qualification to get to the world cup.

19. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not sure this is the place to ask but why isn't Park Ji-Sung playing internationally anymore, is there any chance he will come back, and if he does, would SK be better?

20. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He retire from international football because it was bad for his knee. Flying from England all the way to S. Korea wasn't good for his knee and it just made it worst. That is why he retired. There is absolutely no way he is coming back. I am pretty sure he can improve our squad, but the reason why PJS was so important to our team was because he had leadership. When we lost him, we did not have any leaders that could lead the team.

21. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #21 GoYoungrokba, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    I bet Queiroz became your hero after beating us twice in the qualification. :p jk.
    Winning that match would have made no difference.
    CKH was about to resign regardless of the outcome.

22. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You heard it here first: we'll get at least 4 points.

For the first time we don't have 2 coaches. None of that Karimi, Daie bull shit drama. CQ is a boss and he knows how to put his foot up people's asses. Just in time for the World Cup, Rahmati was preparing to take the title as this campaign's drama queen, but CQ quickly threw his ass out on the street. Now we have 2 other great candidates that play for the team.

Not even Nekounam has caused any drama so far (emphasis on so far). Branko was a weak human being and he let Daie and Karimi utterly rip the team apart both on the field and off the field. Daie and Karimi controlled the team, not Branko.

23. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We're going to be ranked #1 in Asia in the next update :D

24. tommy1985

tommy1985 New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Russia
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Congrats. I think Iran will lose by at least 2 or 3 goals if they face Netherlands and Belgium away though.

25. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We all know Japan is best team in Asia.
    I dont put much stocking to rankings