World Cup 2010: Your Portugal 23 - man Squad Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Joelzinho, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I think CQ reads this forum and purposly selects players that we like.

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ?

We had a pretty hard QL campaign, probably one of the hardest in the WC. I think we have a good of shot as anyone at this point. But Martins, no way he will make it. He doesn't do anything spectacular and gets injured way to often. Sure he scores the odd bomb, but I rather have Raul in the midfield...lol

3. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Hugo Viana deserves the bench after Deco's retirement. I mean, if M. Fernandes later prove everyone that he can do it.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know, he has played very well for Braga this season, one of the reasons why their offense works so well. But he was on the National team for like 4 years, and most of the time didn't do anything overly impressive. I feel Ruben Micael, just from watching him a few games at Porto, is a better option.

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    That's why I said "bench". :p

On his defense though, everytime called on a regular basis he was impressive in Sporting and now in Braga.

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "Hard" is an understatement.

Did you watch the first 6 games?? We did struggle earlier on, it wasn't like we dominated in all aspects. They were in desperation mode.

7. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Eduardo
    Rui Patrício
    Beto

Bosingwa
    Miguel
    Pepe (if fit)
    Bruno Alves
    Ricardo Carvalho
    Rolando
    Paulo Fereira

Miguel Veloso
    Pedro Mendes
    Raul Meireles
    Moutinho
    Deco
    Rubén Micael
    Danny

Varela
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Simão
    Nani
    Liédson
    Hugo Almeida

Still in the hunt to make squad:
    Quaresma, Makakula, Tiago, Coentrao, Manuel Fernandes, Nunes, Joao Pereira, Edinho, Fernando Meira, Peixoto, and Duda.

My starting XI: 4-2-3-1
    --------------Eduardo--------------
    Bosingwa--Carvalho--Alves--Veloso
    --------Pepe-----Meireles------
    ---Ronaldo----Deco-------Nani---
    -------------Liedson----------

8. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It was more about offering Quaresma the oppertunity, letting him know the coaching staff for the NT is still willing to work with him if he can work his way up the pecking order for Inter. I do not think by any means that this has guaranteed him a spot on the roster. It was simply a way to light a fire under him.

10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
  11. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    The thing is that a player of quaresma's ability can win you a game in a
    moment of brilliance. He would be a usefull option off the bench.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But so is Nani, who in my opinion, has just as much skill if not more. Do we really need 2 players like that off the bench?

13. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is this a trick-question?

Why wouldn't you want two possible game-deciders coming off your bench? Easy decision!

Having said that, I think Nani might force his way into the squad ahead of Simao if he keeps going at this rate after his suspension. I still believe in a Portugal with Ronaldo as a flexible number 10 (ie: he can make diagonal runs on to the wing or stick to the middle).

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know. Whenever Quaresma comes in as a sub he never gets into it very well. A few games he did for Inter, but hes not as explosive as Nani or Simao off the bench, for me anyways.

15. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree, and even if Nani and Quaresma had identical footballing talent, Nani just has that natural speed that Quaresma could never even dream about.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And a left foot. I still remember the day when I though Quaresma spot on the NT was in question. I think it was a fringe game in Euro, but he tried 3 travelas on right side in a row. But the defender saw it coming every single team, because he knew that was the way Quaresma always crossed the ball. He just stood infront of him when he lined up, immediately he lost possession afterward...it was frustrating to watch.

17. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Quaresma not explosive off the bench?

One word: Belgium

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That was the best performance I have ever seen him play in the Portugal uniform. But I don't think he was utilized as a sub, I think he started that game.

He went down often in that game as well. He got the benefit of the calls which was lucky, because most of the time it doesn't happen like that. Hes experiencing this right now in Italy, where he goes down far to quickly and nothing is done about it.

But you did convince me, he does have the ability to break open a game, not as much as Nani but still capable.

The thing that bothers me about Quaresma is he doesn't adapt well, to anything really. He still has a tendency to over try the trivela, to go down to easily, to hold onto the ball too long. He has been getting better over the past few months...

But you have convinced me, perhaps subbing him in at the end of the game, down 1 - 0 might aid us.

19. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I can't say I recall, I was working during that game but I remember he would do something worthy of the Harry Potter nickname everytime I got a glimpse of the TV.

20. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I wouldn't bet on it. Let's not forget, this kid can't handle pressure when he isn't the star of the team. If he was to come in when we're down, as a sub, I just don't think he'd be able to handle it. He'd feel he would have to impress to get the starting role.

21. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I believe your talking about his wonderful free kick against Barcelona that gave them the win. Thats fine. But I watched the game he was just consistent like he always is.

Also, we have Ronaldo on our team, who always takes FK and PK. Although he really should from close range because he isnt too good at it.

23. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005

The real problem for me is simao's size mixed with his weakness on the ball.
    You can be small but physically strong and hard to push off the ball. Simao is Small and weak, so nani would be a better option against CI. Makukula also has to be called against CI we need his size.

24. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I'm with Joel. Quaresma drives me insane. In addition to his many technical flaws (dithering on the ball, lack of left foot, sub-par soccer IQ), he's a nervous mofo.

Anyway, there was another positive from today's game (Atletico vs Barca) - Tiago started in midfield and was part of Barca's first defeat of the season. I didn't see the game but surely he must have had a good game to be part of a midfield that shut down Iniesta, Xavi and Messi?! Especially with as a crappy as defense as Atleti's?!? Having a confident Tiago would be a huge boost to the team come the summer...

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I saw the game, Tiago was solid. I wouldn't say it was an astounding game from him but he was intelligent with his play. I got to admit, he plays some very nifty balls to put people into space. We see it every so often for the NT.