World Cup 2010 - Total of goals scored

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by Soccerfever, Jun 12, 2010.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple simple minor tweaks that can be made to the offside rule but the most significant boost to the game will come from rule changes that address situations like the one I call the Attacker's Dilemma.

For instance, when an attacker is able to get the ball into the area and take it near the goal line but his (or her) progress is blocked by the GK and by defenders collapsing back in front of goal. The attacker faces a dilemma. Having won this precious space to work with and having moved up the workable (that is onside) attacking area to now cover the entire field almost up to goal, how does he use the space? Many times his best option is to send a pass backwards, making use of this space but in doing so, almost always instantly giving back that precious space he has just won. The ball goes back, the defenders step forward and the original attacker himself is offside, as well as any others who had moved up parallel to him.

That is the game we're used to but that's awfully hard to square with the original justification for offside in the first place, which we all understand properly bans crude tactics of cherry-picking or "goal-hanging" (I think that's the term the British use). That is why I say the rule as it applies here is not in keeping with the essential character of the game.*

The current rule places too great a burden on the offense and doesn't offer sufficient reward for the kind of attacking and penetrating plays that it should be rewarding. However, any solution to the Attacker's Dilemma is bound to be a major and fairly radical changing of the rules. Revolutionary even by the standards of the game.

I'm tempted to even call this the Grail of rule changes. A handful of other changes can and should be made, but while they may have noticeable effect, they should be understood in the context of the sea-change - they will only have full effect when we come up with a solution to the Attacker's Dilemma.

* would it be more precise to say, the rule as applied here is not preserving or protecting anything that is an essential characteristic of the game?

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    71 goals in 34 matches = 2.09 goals per match

3. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess a person could argue that the goal today is smaller in proportion to average human height than in the year that the dimensions of the goal were first establsished.

I suppose you could create a ratio of goal dimensions to human average height for whatever year the dimensions of the goal were first established, and then resize the goal to maintain that ratio. The main argument against this proposal is the cost in replacing goals around the world. For poorer nations, this change could be a bit burdensome. However, if this was announced as an event not to repeated again any time soon, perhaps the cost would not be considered prohibitive since goals have to be replaced every once in awhile anyway.

4. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one advantage in tweaking the offside rule over modifying the dimensions of the goal is that there would be almost no new equipment required. In another thread it was mentioned awhile back that Johann Cruyff and Beckenbauer liked an NASL rule where a player is always onside behind a 35 yard line, rather than behind the halfway line (on the other side of the 35 yard line the current offside rule applies). A 35 yard line keeps the spirit and intent of the offside rule which was to prevent a team from keeping a player or players camped out right in the GK's face (which as you mentioned was done in early soccer matches played with no offside rule), but potentially opens up more space for teams to operate.

Granted, the situation you describe (at least as I understand it) would still be offside if this rule were adopted. The only way the situation you described would not be offside would be under some variant of the hockey offside rule. My problem with the hockey rule is that whole ugly "dumping" business we see in hockey. I don't think I would like seeing players dump the soccer ball.

Regardless, I feel some sort of offside rule is needed in order to prevent cherry picking.

http://ussoccerplayers.typepad.com/ussoccerplayers/a-worthy-experiment.html

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree we don't want to see a version of hockey's "dumping the puck". Also absolutely agree we need the offside rule.

As far as the Attacker's Dilemma, I have some promising ideas I think but I want to think it through a little bit more . But don't you agree this is the kind of situation where the offside rule is unnecessarily cruel to the offense? At some point the offense has earned the right to some space around the goal and to the space opened behind the ball when the defenders collapse. At some point the offense has attacked within the spirit of the rules and what they're doing, or would like to be doing, has nothing to do with "cherrypicking", which is what we all agree the offside rule is designed to prevent.

(regarding the 35-yard line rule, I've written that I'm now skeptical although I'm one of the guys that brought it up having just heard about it recently. But it's a plausible idea and, yes, from what I heard Cruyff and Beckenbauer liked some of the NASL ideas, possibly including this one.)

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    77 goals in 36 matches = 2.14 goals per match

7. newyorkastle

newyorkastle New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Flow and goals have picked up but still intersting question and interesting responses on low scoring

"attackers dilemma" is truly a dilemma. I'm not sure you'd get dump ins like hockey as there's no end boards or corner. A dump is just a pass to space that goes for goal luck if too far. That pass to space behind defenders is oft tried but hard to execute in soccer.

8. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're coming for you Italia 90'!

9. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would think that the Group C matches this morning would produce a lot of scoring seeing as three of the four teams will be looking for wins. Only Slovenia would likely be content with a 0-0 draw.

10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    U.S. offense vs. Algeria defense, though. Not quite as confident as you are.

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    79 goals in 38 matches = 2.08 goals per match

12. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! I guess you were right. Either way, US tops England! Before this tournament I never imagined I would write those words.

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Me neither, honestly. I figured USA were 50-50 to advance, but assumed it would be in second place.

14. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly, the only match that played out as I predicted was England-USA. Playing a tight, under pressure England in the first match of the tournamant I thought we might escape with a low scoring draw. Against Slovenia I was expecting either a 1-0 win, or a 0-0 or 1-1 draw given what I saw of them in qualification. Never did I imagine 4 goals in that match. Against Algeria, I thought the the U.S. would come away with a fairly comfortable 2-0 or 3-0 win, but not a nail-biting 1-0 result (granted, if not for the ref my pre-match prediction might heve been accurate).

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    83 goals in 40 matches = 2.08 goal per match.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    88 goals in 42 matches = 2.10 goals per match

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    95 goals in 44 matches = 2.16 goals per match.

18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Things are picking up nicely. There is potential for a lot of goals tomorrow.

19. kirktrobot

kirktrobot New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    St. Louis
    A review of the numbers historically:

1930: 3.9 1934: 4.1 1938: 4.7 1950: 4.0 1954: 5.4 1958: 3.6 1962: 2.8
    1966: 2.8 1970: 3.0 1974: 2.6 1978: 2.7 1982: 2.8 1986: 2.5 1990: 2.2
    1994: 2.7 1998: 2.7 2002: 2.5 2006: 2.3

20. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Those early World Cup's were practically Mickey Mouse cups :p

21. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, Ivory Coast needs to win by 9 goals against North Korea to have any hope of advancing according to soccernet. We'll see what happens! :D

22. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another interesting stat. Not only are percentage of shots on target down significantly, but more than 80% of far post crosses are missing their intended target.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/801875/ce/uk/

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    98 goals in 46 matches = 2.13 goals per match.

24. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  25. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL