World Cup 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Kasmatsu

Kasmatsu Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Gardner, KS
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Ghana wins theses PKs... or justice will not have been served. It is bs a sure thing goal can be turned into a maybe goal by intentional hand balls on the line. The goal should just count. ...and the second player that also tried to hand the ball but missed should have been red carded too.

2. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ******** this World Cup ....

.... such blatant cheating on the goal line should lead to the award of a goal. Period.

It's just so tarnished, I don't care who wins but Uruguay must fall.

3. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Oh wow. Ghana had it all. Oh well. I won't miss their whining. I swear they took lessons from the Italian team.

4. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I am in agreement with you. Uruguay cheated and advanced. FIFA has a lot of work to do.

5. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watching the replay it looked like he didn't even need to handball it, looked like the ball was going right to his head to me.

feel bad for Ghana though I wanted them to lose, they played really well.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the replay that's what I thought too...

7. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA will never ever ever put a ref in a position to award a goal in that situation. They just won't.

I feel for Ghana. It's a heartbreaking loss. But that's a kick a player the caliber of Gyan HAS to convert. Every. Single. Time.

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Both games were great, but they could've been incredible. The diving, play-acting, blatant cheating - I hate watching the best in the world denigrate the game like this. Robben, Luis Suarez, a lot of the Ghanaians - we really need retroactive punishments for the face holders.

9. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couldn't agree more...it's like hockey they can stop the fighting if they want ie international hockey. fifa is stuck in the past more than baseball. just look at the tape and give out yellows retroactively shouldn't e too hard...kinda like replay for goals.

10. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's all good. No harm. No foul.

On a separate note....Vamos Uruguay!!

11. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were rooting for Ghana? make up your mind dude:D

looking at the fantastic picture on msn it was to the side of him and i don't know if he could have gotten his head over though it looks like he should have but still shouldn't be able to play the next couple games, cheating is cheating.

12. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    It was blatant cheating. No doubt about it, but there are rules in place for such a situation and they were followed. The offender got red carded and will miss the next game. A penalty was given, and was missed. That is that. I don't get why people are upset by an injustice. Other than goal tending in Bball (in which scoring is so prevelant that it mitigates the individual points) i don't know of another team sport where points are awarded for an infraction. The other team is always given an oppurtunity to score, and most often at an advantage. Ghana couldn't do it. Its that simple. Games aren't awarded to those who should of won. Just those who do win it. I think it was a smart unselfish play to do to keep from losing the game, and statues should be built of the guy. Its not like he doesn't know of the consequences.

13. rainbowwigwizard

rainbowwigwizard New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Completely agree but I wouldn't call it blatant cheating, just a heads-up (or hands up in this case) play to force Ghana to convert a PK. No different than a deliberate take down from behind to stop an obvious goal scoring opportunity. No one says a defender is cheating in that situation. Just take your red and see what happens. He clearly could not stop the ball any other way as it was going to the right of his head.

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    its using your hands in soccer................ its cheating.

15. rainbowwigwizard

Nov 1, 2004
    Pulling on a shirt or shorts is also using your hands. I wouldn't call that cheating. It's a foul and maybe a card. Otherwise, every foul or rule violation is cheating.

16. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    yup, that would be correct.

17. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's like saying a foul in basketball is cheating... after 5 or 6 fouls you are "fouled out". Rules are set up to punish these infractions. I think calling a hand ball cheating is a little far. I think its a heads up play, and I would expect every player in the world to do the exact same in that situation.

18. rainbowwigwizard

Nov 1, 2004
    To clarify, I think cheating involves dishonesty, like diving in the box to deceive the ref (simulation, as FIFA likes to call it), or using banned substances. Taking a tactical foul based on the assumption that the punishment is not as severe as allowing the play to continue is just smart soccer.

19. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    using your hands to manipulate the play of the ball goes against one of the basic tenemants in soccer. Unless on a throw in or a keeper, using your hands is cheating. No different than juicing a baseball.

20. rainbowwigwizard

Nov 1, 2004
    It's a lot different that juicing a baseball. You don't show the umpire the ball and tell him you are cheating. You try and hide it. Suarez didn't do anything like that. Having a definition of cheating that means committing a foul is like equating embezzlement with an auto accident involving mere negligence (a person may have done something wrong but it is not a crime).

21. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it matters, but I thought it was a smart play. Like stated earlier he forced an obvious goal scoring situation into a potential one and the guy missed the pk. In the dying seconds of a game like that, I think most players would do the same thing if they thought fast enough. Does it suck and is it a bit dirty? Possibly. Are the rewards sweet? See for yourself.

22. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Suarez did try at first to act like he hadn't done anything. Even he realized after awhile it was obvious. He was trying to deceive the ref for much of the game, similar to Robben. Worst divers and complainers in the tournament that I've seen - Arjen Robben, Luis Suarez, Daniele De Rossi, and Ronaldo. I'm sure there are others, even Jozy likes to go down a bit soft for my taste.

Still, getting a PK is a whole lot better than getting nothing like the U.S. did when Torsten Frings helped keep us out of the semifinals in 2002.

23. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the real world, yes, players will do what is required to win the game, but let's not turn Suarez into a tactical genius. It was a reflex born of panic, nothing more.

24. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    ...and argentina shows that they cant defend set pieces.

25. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Not "cheating". Its offensive. As such, the offender was caught in the act, and penalized. Laws of the game prevailed.