World Baseball Classic - groups set

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Achtung, Jul 12, 2005.

1. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Isn't that true in the Olympics too? All the Greek baseball players got citizenship.

Italy has apparently fielded plenty of Italian-Americans in past international baseball competitions.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone realize how good this competition will be for soccer? One real Americans have a taste of international competition, they will start loving the US Nats, Then MLS, then whatever. this is all good!!!

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you happen to know if Padres reliever Rudy Seañez is Mexican? He is having a damn good year, he is up there in years but he is throwing the ball 95.

4. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Whoa partner! Slow your roll! Slow your roooooool!

We already have some US participation in nternational competitions. The Olympics, the Pan-Am games,

From the best that I can determine, the FIBA World Basketball Championship on US soil in 2001 and the IIHF Hockey World Cups with games on US soil haven't really given the US Nats or MLS any sort of boost. Let alone drive people to start "loving the US Nats". I'm not even sure that the 1999 FIFA WWC here gave the USMNT any significant moment in the hearts of the American sports fan who casually cares about soccer or could care less any more inspiration...

I'm not saying that a few people couldn't be inspired and make the move to Soccer but seriously.

We had a World Cup here in 94. And while it was the single most import event in the history of soccer in this country, and it's residual effects are still resonating--that didn't fully ignite the American public as much as the evangelists prophesized that it would.

I do really love the enthusiasm though!

5. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Dude was born in Cali--not Colombia--Cali as in fornia.
    My guess is that he is Chicano/Mexican-American but that is just a guess. I don't know for sure.

If that is the case then he could probaly be eligible to play for Mexico...

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuban involvement?

Today I read that Cuba might not be interested in taking part. And a month or two ago, they were still having some issues with both the Japenese league and players association with going along. Is it that these two are trying to get more money? A World Cup of Baseball without either Japen or Cuba, doesn't seem the best. I'll try and see if I can find a link to the Cuban article.

7. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Cuban involvement?

I thought Japan's issue was regarding players union problems, and that there might be a strike or lockout, not that they don't want to participate.

Cuba would simply boycott to show up the USA. But ******** 'em. Every other team has a better chance of winning without them there. If they're going to put petty politics above proving they're the best nation in baseball, who needs 'em?

8. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, I hope Cuba doesn't boycott. They have the best baseball talent in the world.

Oh well, maybe Colombia or Nicaragua can replace them.

9. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD

In the end, I am counting on Castro's ego and his desire for so many years to have a real World Series to convince him to allow the team to participate. The glory that could be achieved if they were to win it all might exceed the fears about defectors. They could just increase their security detail and threaten all of the players more than usual, guilt tripping them about "la revolucion" and all.

Everybody knows how much he loves sports, especially baseball.

You mean kinda like the US did when we boycotted the 1980 Olympics, the greatest sporting showcase known to mankind because we were unhappy about the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan? Maybe they learned that from US... :D

Just a humorous historical refresher, no disrepect whatsoever intended my friend. :)

If Bud Selig asks Orioles' owner Peter Angelos to try to appeal to Castro (what a pair, those two make), then maybe this can get done. That and if MLB works with Cuba to provide extra security. When the Cuban national team came to Baltimore to play the O's back in 1999, a coach defected. I went to that game (despite the Anti-Castro protestors) and it was pretty cool except for the O's getting waxed.

10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

That's cool, and true. But I cringed when we boycotted those Olympics, and laughed my ass off when the USOC and lots of Americans made fun of the Sovs for boycotting '84. That was all a bunch of crap.

I saw that on TV. Remember when the Cuban ump took down the protester? Great TV moment.

Update on A-Rod...according to today's SF Chronicle, A-Rod has to play for the US. I'll try to find a link online later, too busy right now.