Wondolowski makes statistical MLS history?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stan Collins, Jul 15, 2012.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, that was the game where Wondo didn't start and Dawkins played forward. Since I think both Chavez and Salinas were out, that put Coralles and Ballouchy on the wings, neither of whom are attacking type of mids in the way that Salinas, Chavez, and Dawkins are. So at least for the 1st part of the match, the Quakes attack was pretty weak in that they didn't have their usual attack from the wings kind of schtick. They had the ball, but they couldn't figure out how to create chances with it.

2. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Through Oct-21, Wondo 26: Chivas USA 22. :ROFLMAO:

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There's your simple solution - the Chivas trade for Wondo and name him the player-coach.

He gets his money - coach's $$$ aren't capped - and the Chivas double their goal total.

LouisianaViking07/09 and henryo repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He made it to 27. Remarkable. I don't see this record being broken for a generation.

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it was on such an obvious dive by Lenhart.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lenhart had a clear shot at an open net so that was not a dive and if it weren't for the GK fouling or obstructing him and impeding his path to goal, he would have scored easily and Ricketts knew that when the call was made. Which forward in the world would take a dive when he has the chance to shoot and score an easy goal into an open net with no GK? That not only should have been a pk but a red card also!

7. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Embarrassing dive. Players like that should have their knees taken out in the run of play.

8. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Which forward in the world would pull half the shit Lenhart does?

Anyway, on further review it wasn't a dive, in the sense that there was no contact. There was minimal contact and Lenhart let himself go to ground. Borderline. But with Ricketts making two idiotic plays in the same sequence, I'm not surprised the ref rewarded San Jose with the PK, and I don't think this should take anything away from Wondo's tying the record.

Lassiter did manage his record in two fewer games and 233 fewer minutes played than Wondo. His scoring rate was significantly better than Wondo's (35.5% to 21.3%) and Lassiter only had 3 PK goals on the year (on 3 attempts), as opposed to Wondo's 5 PK goals (on 7 attempts). So all tie-breakers in this case probably still go to Lassiter. But still, a remarkable season for Wondo.

9. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Can Wondo steal TVs?

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Come on! The bias towards Lenhart has got to stop and its really getting old. There isn't a forward in the world alive who wouldn't try to gain an advantage against an opposing team or who doesn't try to influence a ref's decision. Every coach, team and/or fan in the league dreams of a forward like Lenhart. He makes things happen and he is exceptional at what he does every time he steps onto the pitch. If you get to see him up close like I do at every training session, he is an incredible talent. However, which way you spin this thing, whether there was minimal contact or otherwise, there was a definite foul on that play and as the last man, the GK should have been red carded or at the very least yellow carded. Again that was a valid pk , and whoever doesn't believe this , doesn't understand the game.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually, from what I recall, Lassiter was arrested for ripping off houses not just TV's.....

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He had an open shot at free goal w/ no GK! Don't know a forward who wouldn't want to score an easy goal like that.

13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    You should check out Lenhart.

14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Luis Suarez. (Which supports your point, though I haven't seen the Lenhart play.)

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I do check out Lenhart ever chance I get and he is a great guy. I really felt bad for him last year when he lost his dad.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like this isn't the first time I've heard this defense of Lenhart. Wasn't there a game against Salt Lake last year or the year before when Salt Lake fans were claiming dive and San Jose fans were asking this same question?

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't remember much about last year. Wondo went on 11 game streak w/out scoring a goal after he came back from USMNT Gold Cup and Lenhart left in July because he had to take care of family matters because his dad died a few months earlier. Then Bobby Convey was on the team and his presence didn't help the team at all. If anything IMHO, he hindered everyone's play....

18. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It stops when he stops his douchebaggery. The "bias" toward Lenhart didn't just materialize out of thin air - it was a reaction to the things he's pulled and continued to pull. If you/he/the Quakes want the "bias" to stop, the solution is pretty simple.
    I don't.
    It was borderline, and as evidence you need look no further than today's ManU/Chelsea game, where Torres got sent off after going to ground easily under similar minimal contact. I think the refs respectively got it right yesterday and wrong today, but I can easily see both sides of the coin.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you and others strongly feel this way, then by all means, you should try and stop him but not too many people have been able to or can. I'm sure by now with replays and whatever, there will have been evidence of "cheating" but the league has not done much and can't because there really is no provable evidence (as you and others seem to claim or want to believe) that he has been cheating. Either way, whichever way you look at it, a foul in the box is a pk and if he is the last man, its a red card! That is a FIFA rule.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go ahead, cite the rule, I'll wait.

Actually the rule is a red for a Denial of an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity (DOGSO). I haven't seen this play so I don't know if it applied, but a defender could wipe somebody out at the back corner of the box (against the end line) with nobody but the keeper behind him and it wouldn't necessarily be a red card, because there's no obvious goal-scoring opportunity from right on the end line. The USSF uses the 4 D's to judge if its a DOGSO; Defenders (number), Distance (to the goal), Distance (to the ball), and Direction. It sounds like he was the last defender, and it was in the area so distance to the goal was probably not an issue. But if the ball wasn't headed to the goal, or if the ball was too far in front of the attacker that he was unlikely to get to it then a red card wouldn't apply even as the foul and PK did.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My PDF doesn't open but when I was coaching in Italy, everyone knew/knows this. Its not a new rule Surprised you never heard of this. I mean unless you are looking at games played in the 70's & 80's. He had a clear shot at an open net if Ricketts didn't interfere.

22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    There were still two defenders between Lenhart and the goal, which is why he chose to flop instead of playing through. It's also why no red card was given to the keeper.

Kejsare repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He had an easy open and free goal so why would he deliberately flop as you say? You can think whatever, I don't and won't believe this...

24. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

RafaLarios repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought Idi Amin died? :) Is he laughing from 6 feet under?