Women's World Cup 2019 Panini Stickers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Apr 4, 2019.

?

Are you collecting stickers for WWC 2019?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2019.
  1. No, and I never did anything alike in my life

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No, but I did in the past for some Men's World Cups

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. No, but I did in the past, not only for Men's World Cup, but for other Women's World Cups also!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, let's swap some stickers!!!

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, I fell for it and I made a thread! :p No matter if I'll be lonely here and if this post will remain the only one of this thread.

This is the product I am talking about:

[​IMG]

I started collecting the stickers a few days ago: I would be interested to know if anyone else on this thread does.

Some subject of discussion that could be (mildy) interesting:

- who's the woman on the cover on the album? Is of course intended to be a random generic player, but does she remind you of any real one? The red jersey is also generic, but what could it be? USA? :cautious:

- the album is published months ahead of the competition (and of official rosters), so the company has to make wild guesses about the rostered players. It helps that they don't put the whole 23-members-roster on the pages of the album, but just 17 players (basically a full 11 starter-team + a bench). It anyway always happens that some players who have an official sticker won't actually be at WWC (for instance Italian CB Cecilia Salvai, who suffered an ACL injury a few weeks ago :unsure:) and that some players without a sticker will actually take part and be stars of the competition. :)
    For a start: does anyone want to comment the 17 USWNT players who appear on the album? (Should the thing reveal being popular, we could do it for other teams also). Do you spot any player who could actually happen not to be called? Any missing one who should definitely be in the "first 17"?

USWNT Panini stickers selection:
    GKs: Alyssa Naeher, Ashlyn Harris
    DFs: Becky Sauerbrunn, Crystal Dunn, Kelley O' Hara, Abby Dahlkemper, Emily Sonnett
    MFs: Rose Lavelle, Lindsay Horan, Julie Ertz, Samantha Mewis, Carli Lloyd
    FWs: Mallory Pugh, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath, Christen Press

(Consider that the roles were added by me to better parcel the info, but they are not indicated on the sticker album)

Bauser repped this.
  3. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, I see if I can find the album here in Guatemala at least to have it and some stickers. I wish there would be a digital album like 2 last Men's World Cup. That would be awesome.

blissett repped this.
  4. I hope one of our supermarket chains starts one of their own.

5. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hadn't noticed @shlj had opened this thread on 4th of April and I had opened another one, here: can maybe the mods somehow merge the threads (although mine also have a poll, so I am not sure if it's easy :unsure:).

As I mentioned in my thread, I'd like to discuss the subject of the stars missing from the album, or of the stickers of players who won't be there! :p

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Is Ada in the album? :geek: Can you list the Norwegian players there?

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done!

blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's one of the first things I looked at and, no, Ada Hegerberg is not in the album! :p After she wasn't called for a longtime and she said in every way that she won't change her mind, guys at Panini found it smarter not to include her, despite the fact that she was voted best player in the world (Ballon d'Or). Should she actually change her mind and take part to the WWC, the people who made the choices for the album will be just one small part of a big bunch of very surprised people around the world (at this point I am not sure who's still expecting a late "coup de théâtre" in this sense).

The norwegian players in the album are:
    Ingrid Hjelmseth; Cecilie Fiskerstrand; Maria Thorisdottir; Igrid Moe Wold; Maren Mjelde; Fida Maanum; Vilde Risa; Kristine Minde, Synne Hansen; Caroline Graham Hansen; Guro Reiten; Ingrid Engen; Emilie Nautnes; Elise Thornses; Emile Haavi; Isabell Herlovsen; Lisa-Marie Utland.

I didn't group them in roles, because they're not mentioned on the stickers and I don't know all of the players well enough to do that. :oops:

Feel free to comment: unexpected names? Any glaring missing name, apart from Hegerberg? :p

Bauser repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry, I can't read Dutch: it's this the mention of a specific collection of Netherlands' team stickers? How are they marketed?

Netherlands is the first National Team in the world that published their roster, so we can compare it with the Panin album... :geek:

Now I am in a rush, but maybe later I am going to make this comparison.

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    For a group of 17, I would say this was a pretty good selection. The winger Emilie Nautnes is probably the one name closest of not making the World Cup squad. She has started one game for Norway, in a game when many reserves started. There is also a little shortage of central defenders in this group. Barring injuries, I expect all these players to make it to France this summer.

blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    These are the 23 players officially named for the World Cup:
    GKs: Sari Van Venendaal, Loes Geurts, Lize Kop
    DFs: Desirée Van Lunteren, Stefanie Van der Gragt, Kika Van Es, Anouk Dekker, Merel Van Dongen, Danique Kerkdijk, Dominique Bloodworth, Liza Van der Most
    MFs: Sherida Spitse, Danielle Van de Donk, Jill Roord, Jackie Groenen, Inessa Kaagman, Victoria Pelova
    FWs: Shanice Van de Sanden, Vivianne Miedema, Lieke Martens, Renate Jansen, Ellen Jansen, Lineth Beerensteyn

This is the Panini's sticker album 17 players' selection:
    GKs: Loes Geurts, Sari Van Venendaal
    DFs: Desirée Van Lunteren, Kika Van Es, Stefanie Van der Gragt, Siri Worm, Dominique Bloodworth
    MFs: Sherida Spitse, Jill Roord, Danielle Van de Donk, Anouk Dekker, Jackie Groenen
    FWs: Lieke Martens, Vivianne Miedema, Shanice Van de Sanden, Lineth Beerensteyn, Renate Jansen

Well, 16 correct players out of 17! They did quite well for Neherlands also, I'd say. :cool: Only Siri Worm has her sticker but won't be at WWC.
    And all the players left out are mostly reserves and/or U-20 youngsters: Lize Kop, Merel Van Dongen, Danique Kerkdijk, Liza Van der Most, Inessa Kaagman, Victoria Pelova, Ellen Jansen. All the "big names" are there as much as the most important alternatives.

sbahnhof repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize we already had a team with a roster named! We need a roster thread!

blissett repped this.
  14. #15 feyenoordsoccerfan, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    This year the supermarket chain Albert Heijn had an action that you get 4 Eredivisie soccer card with an Eredivisie player on it for every x€€ (iirc 10€) spent. This year they added all the Orange women to the collection.
    In total 292 cards with players, coaches, team foto's and club logos.
    The action was in januari and februari, it already ended. Dunno if they do something in the summer when the WWC2019 takes place or another supermarket jumps in.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am nearly there, only missing 60 stickers and I am done. Just finished Japan.

Attached Files:

sbahnhof repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, you want to make me feel envious! I just bought my first box of boosters, but I hadn't had the time of opening them yet. Thus, after just 5 opened boosters, I still haven't found a single Japanese sticker! :x3:

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have a lot to swap ...

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Eh eh, I will let you know as soon as I'll have a lot to swap too (very soon, I suppose) and you'll tell me which 60 stickers you still miss... ;)

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meanwhile another official roster has been published: New Zealand (I copy from the WWC 2019 rosters thread):

[​IMG]

Once again the Panini stickers album had only one name wrong, Amber Hearn, who appears on the album but hasn't been called for WWC (not sure if because too much old, she's 34, or for an injury).

I won't post the exact 17-players selection, unless some Kiwi supporters here on BS want to discuss it.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I saw the official roster on the Norway thread and it looks like Nautnes is in. So 17/17 for the Panini sticker album? :)

21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Yes! :thumbsup: Safe choices from Sjögren.

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The USA team in the Panini album, we will know soon if they got it right

Attached Files:

blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    17 out of 17, if I am not wrong: guys at Panini have been quite good at this round, so far! :)

I guess Japan will be the big challenge for them! :giggle: Sumida not very likely to be called, Masuya and Moeno Sakaguchi on the bubble and Mizuho Sakaguchi still uncertain because of her slow recovery from last year's ACL. :cautious:

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    16 out of 17 in the France squad. They had Kenza Dali and Maeva Clemaron got the nod.

blissett repped this.