Womens league coming to Rochester?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Rochester, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rhinos bid for women's pro league
    The Rochester Rhinos remain in the running to land a spot in a new women's professional soccer league that's trying to launch by next April. An announcement is expected soon.

2. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this would be a great idea. The Rhinos are losing there touch with the fan base and in Rochester there is such a large turn-out from soccer moms and there young children.

If we bring in Abby Wambach, this franchise would take off. We have enough fans already to buy season tickets. Hell, I am already not getting season tickets next year. I would definitely take a chance on this team. If they say yes today, they would already have my money.

I do believe this would hurt the Rhinos attendance, but it would bring back the rowdyness of the game sense they wouldn't get bombarded with soccer moms complaining.

Thoughts?

3. Stryker3

Stryker3 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    The Rhinos are never going to succeed when their stadium is in the middle of such a bad neighborhood. Paetec Park is beautiful, well designed, and the field is a dream to play on (have scrimmaged there many times, and loved it) but a lot of people I know (who were season ticket holders when the team was at Frontier Field) don't feel safe there, and certainly wouldn't bring their kids. Women's soccer in this country has a hard enough time attracting a crowd, despite the fine quality of our athletes. Paetec Park's location is the nail in the coffin of the Women's Rhinos, and frankly, I don't see a women's Pro league wanting to sink the money required into an area with so little chance of breaking even, much less of making a profit. This is truly a tragedy, since Rochester (a.k.a. SoccerTown USA) would be a wonderful place for a Professional Women's League to develop. Just not at Paetec Park.