Women's EURO Cup 2022

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dage, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1 Dage, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    As wb met mods of another forum and is currently unable to do so, I create a thread for the current Women's Euro Cup.

Tonight the German girls start their group against a highly rated dark horse Denmark.

Should be a good game. Let's talk 8)

Group games:

Fri 08 Jul 21:00 (CET) GER : DEN

Tue 12 Jul 21:00 (CET) GER : ESP

Sat 16 Jul 21:00 (CET) FIN : GER

2. dabny

dabny Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Apr 5, 2019
    didnt see any of it but 4:0 seems like a good start

3. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup, Germany thoroughly outplayed Denmark. The big test in this group will be Spain.

4. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tomorrow is the big clash vs Spain. This one sees the two most impressive teams to this point already playing each other.

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2:0 for the German team, a clean sheet after two games. The Spaniards never were in the game, a great tactical performance by the German team. They have won the group already.

Alex C repped this.
  6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I hope the boys take inspiration from the women when they face Spain in the World Cup group stage.

Alex C repped this.
  7. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany were largely on the backfoot, and looked like a lot of Bus parking. Took their opportunities (only 2 shots on target, 2 goals) and played for the break. Spain was controlled in the final 3rd, and couldn't take advantage of their possession (sounds familiar? Spain looked like Germany in WC2018). Apparently Spain were missing their 2 best players - one of which was a Ballon D'or winner, the other took second place.

Germany will have to do better as they go deeper into the competition.

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah, they did pretty good. They did exactly what was needed to deny the Spanish team any chance to score. The front three pressed the Spanish defense all game long and forced them errors. The German team led 2:0 at half time. Considering it's just the second group game, why should they run the score? They totally denied the Spanish team who had no answer whatsoever and in the end could be very delightful to lose only with two goals.

Alex C, Barlach and BVBFNM repped this.
  9. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree, the tactics were perfect. Who cares they had more possession, why try and do what Low often did and make a poor imitation of Spain? Basically did to Spain what a lot of teams do to us, let them have the ball, press at the right moments to cause mistakes, direct counters and be clinical in front of goal. Nice to score from a set piece too.

Spain were missing a couple of top players, but we were missing Lea Schüller due to covid + Dzsenifer Marozsán was ruled out pre-tournament.

Dage and BVBFNM repped this.
  10. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The tactic were perfect - for parking the bus and using counter-attacks. If you can keep it up for the entire tournament, fine. The downside is if you get behind, then you have a hard time equalizing.

And Spain were not just missing a couple of top players, they were missing the best 2 (according to Ballon D'or) in the world. It's not insignificant and had they been present the results could have been different. But they weren't and the results are what they are.

The best take on this is that there are few teams that are better than Spain. By placing first Germany should get a doable QF matchup. The SF will be another test of their quality.

11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #11 Dage, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    So much salt. Germany 2, Spain 0. Not a chance whole game. Period. Again: why run up the score or play to the strengths of your opponent? Doesn't make any sense. The Spanish team was tactical inferior, showed no moral whatsoever and got deservedly under the truck. I have no doubt the German team could just have put several gears up if they would've needed but .. they didn't. It was not necessary at all. The Spanish team has the two best players in the world? Yea, I guess we will find some candy when they get back on their feet.

dips82, BVBFNM and Barlach repped this.
  12. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What are you talking about? Run up the score? Germany could barely get out of their own end. In every key metric (except goals scored, admittedly the only one that matters) they were outplayed. Germany got lucky on the first goal, plain and simple. Howler by a defence person. Spain had more shots, more chances, better passing percentage, etc. Germany played the game like the minnows play the big teams. Solid defence and take your chances on the break or set pieces. Spain missing the 2 best players in the world hurt their chances to come back.

I'm not going to take anything away from Germany - Voss-Tecklenburg knew what to expect (Spain would be dominant according to her interview), shaped her tactics accordingly, the team responded, and Germany won the game.

13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You have seen a total different game than anybody else but hey let's agree to disagree here.

2:0 Germany vs Finnland early in the 2nd half, Popp is on fire.

14. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, let's leave it at that.

However Germany vs. Finland totally different. Germany in total control, even after substitutions disrupted the German rhythm a bit.

Finland did try to park the bus and eventually Germany overcame it. In truth, I think the score line flatters Finland - a bit more clinical by Germany in the front of the net, and it could have been a real route. Also, Germany played some really nice football on occasion. A lot of nice one touch passing to create opportunities, good use of both wings. The comment was that the team is really well coached and knows how to play well as a team.

One point I would like to make is why I accused Germany of "parking the bus" against Spain, the way Finland parked the bus against Germany and the way Germany handled the Spanish were totally different. Unlike Finland, Germany completely controlled the penalty area snuffing out and minimizing any potential threats.

15. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lea Schuller is back:

16. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tonight is the Quarter Final vs Austria. The German team is clearly better but the Austrian team is one of the strongest physically in the tourney and with solid overall quality. If the girls take this too easy they can get into trouble.

Prediction: 3:0 for Germany

17. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tremendous game by Germany and Austria as well. Germany, clearly the better of the sides.

First half was almost equal (advantage to Germany) with Austria smothering the midfield and German attacks.

Second half was a bit more open, perhaps because Austria changed tactics to equalize or Germany changed tactics to counter Austria's game plan. Second half was pretty much all Germany, with a few dangerous opportunities by Austria.

It could be argued that Austria deserved to score a goal - they had a couple of quality chances - but Germany should have scored more than the 2 they did - at least 2 more.

Bad giveaways by both GKs, which was disappointing.The Austrian GK obviously the worst offender after bouncing the ball of Popp into her own net. That looked like a standard Austrian set up that the Germans anticipated.

Is there an unwritten rule that Popp has to score at least one goal every game??

18. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I know hating on England is the norm, but considering the hurdles women's football has had to overcome throughout the twentieth century in the UK, I must confess I'd be totally fine with the English women's NT winning the Euro.

Barlach repped this.
  19. dabny

dabny Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Apr 5, 2019
    Historically Germany are 8-1 in semifinals at the womens euro.
    the only loss coming in a penalty shootout back in 1993 to italy.

Record in the final is even better with 8 wins no losses.

if theyre gonna lose i'd prefer they go out to france in the semi's rather than lose the final to england but thats just me

20. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The Final is set. England vs Germany it is!

If the women's NT win the Euro and the men's NT win the World Cup adding to Eintracht Frankfurt winning the Europa League, this will go down as great year for German football.

dips82 and Dage repped this.
  21. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great game to watch, although close, it's hard to say that the Germans aren't deserved winners. France is a good team with some speed and quality players - some of their footwork was impressive. German persistence and always driving forward, making key passes, made it difficult for the French to defend against. IMHO the French did the same but not with the accuracy of the Germans. The only let-down was that once Germany was in the lead they sat back and let the French attack. The French goal was an own goal, so technically no other team has scored against Germany.

One odd statistic is that on average the German players ran 1 Km more than the French team - I find that odd at this level of competition. Were they just lazy? ;)

Interesting to see how Germany-England turns out. I would have said that England was the class of the tournament, but now I am not sure.

22. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wish the DFB men had a striker like Alexandra Popp. The kind of player that wins big matches. Also what a player Lena Oberdorf is. The organisation and pressing from the whole team was excellent.

Should be a great final.

rj123 repped this.
  23. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed, to think that she missed the previous 2 Euros...

Also is there anything in the rules saying she couldn't play for the mens team?;):D

Alex C repped this.
  24. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  25. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Congratulations England on winning your first ever Euro! Like I posted earlier I'm OK with this win due to all the shit women's football has had to put up with in the UK.