Women's Euro 2013 referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by btharner, Jul 8, 2013.

1. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
  2. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Sian Massey is an EPL AR, who has chosen not to do many women's internationals, so that's something of note.

dadman repped this.
  3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Is she putting her eggs in doing lines at the Champions League, World Cup, Euro, etc.? Basically doing Men's International games.

4. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I didn't see much of her last year in EPL, maybe I just didn't notice. I do recall seeing her with the whistle a while back (over a year) on a US-England Womens game

5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    At the international level, women do women's games and men do men's games. Period.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Given some cultural view on woman, I could see some problems crossing gender lines!

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You do not see that changing anytime soon?

8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    No. To be blunt, liberal countries like the United States and western Europe are outvoted by Muslim and sub-Saharan African countries, where there is little reason to even think about a woman doing men's internationals. After all, there are plenty of male FIFA referees available to do men's games. For example, even Bibi does not do games in the Bundesliga's top division, so why would she be considered for an men's international? There are also very few female FIFAs that can pass the men's physical. Certainly not defending, just explaining.

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nelly Viennot did do UCL games and WCQs with a French crew and she was short-listed for the 2006 World Cup.

I realize no woman has been assigned to men's international competition since. I also recognize you didn't actually say the practice was banned, but it does seem like you are implying that it is now. Is there something formal that came down about this? My understanding has always been that if a female FIFA could pass the male fitness standard, she would technically be eligible for assignment on men's matches... just that in practice, it's very, very rare.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Isn't that about when they stopped letting men ref in women's internationals? I thought that was essentially when it became same gender all the time.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue. I actually didn't know that was formalized either (if it was).

The first two WWCs in 1991 and 1995 had male referees. Then 1999 was the first tournament with female-only officials. All WWCs have been like that since as have top FIFA and confederation-level tournaments and qualifiers.

Are men actually barred from refereeing international women's matches? I didn't think so, but I could definitely be wrong.

12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I think Kleinaitis was one of those in 91, or perhaps the earlier "unofficial" one in China?

PH

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the earlier unofficial-official one in 1988. "FIFA Women's Invitation Tournament" looks like the title they went with.

14. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Terry Vaughn was a 4th on USWNT game last year...It was the ultimate degradation to the end of his career.

15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, I think this correct. I just looked up the 1991 version and found this statement:
    "For the first time in FIFA competition, six female officials were included. All functioned as assistant referees, except for Cláudia Vasconcelos who took charge of the third place play–off; becoming the first woman to referee a match sanctioned by FIFA."

PH

IASocFan and dadman repped this.